drop constraint unnamed?

From
"Andy Kriger"
Date:
How do you drop an unnamed constraint from a table? I tried searching the
archives but the site is extremely slow and I need to get this fixed now.

I have tried
alter table table drop constraint <unnamed>;
alter table table drop constraint '<unnamed>';
alter table table drop constraint '';
alter table table drop constraint;
drop trigger triggerName from table;
drop trigger 'triggerName' from table;

Any ideas?

thx
andy

Re: drop constraint unnamed?

From
Darren Ferguson
Date:
ALTER TABLE table RENAME TO aaa;

CREATE TABLE table (
  columns .....
)

Do it without the constraint

INSERT INTO table (SELECT * FROM aaa);

DROP TABLE aaa;

This is how i would do it although there could be other options

HTH

On Mon, 14 Oct 2002, Andy Kriger wrote:

> How do you drop an unnamed constraint from a table? I tried searching the
> archives but the site is extremely slow and I need to get this fixed now.
>
> I have tried
> alter table table drop constraint <unnamed>;
> alter table table drop constraint '<unnamed>';
> alter table table drop constraint '';
> alter table table drop constraint;
> drop trigger triggerName from table;
> drop trigger 'triggerName' from table;
>
> Any ideas?
>
> thx
> andy

Darren Ferguson

Re: drop constraint unnamed?

Date:
"Andy Kriger" <akriger@greaterthanone.com> writes:
> How do you drop an unnamed constraint from a table?

Is this a foreign-key constraint?  If so, you have to drop the three
triggers that implement it; see the recipe on the
techdocs.postgresql.org site.

(7.3 will have a more reasonable way to drop FK constraints ...)

            regards, tom lane

Re: drop constraint unnamed?

From
"Gregory Wood"
Date:
Unless there are foreign keys and all sorts of other dependencies. As Tom
said, the recipe on http://techdocs.postgresql.org/ is much nicer to deal
with.

Greg

> This is how i would do it although there could be other options
>
> HTH
>
> On Mon, 14 Oct 2002, Andy Kriger wrote:
>
> > How do you drop an unnamed constraint from a table? I tried searching
the
> > archives but the site is extremely slow and I need to get this fixed
now.

> > I have tried
> > alter table table drop constraint <unnamed>;
> > alter table table drop constraint '<unnamed>';
> > alter table table drop constraint '';
> > alter table table drop constraint;
> > drop trigger triggerName from table;
> > drop trigger 'triggerName' from table;
> >
> > Any ideas?
> >
> > thx
> > andy

> >     (send "unregister YourEmailAddressHere" to majordomo@postgresql.org)
> >

> --
> Darren Ferguson

Migrating DAta from MSSQL to postgre

From
Savita
Date:
Hi All,

I need some help to migrate data from MSSQL to Postgres.

I have the following a scnirio like.

1.I have a table in MSSQL.
2.I have another table in Postgres with different name and schema from the one
which is present in MSSQL.

Is it possible to migrate data from the table which is present in MSSQL to
Postgres.
-
Best Regards
- Savita
Hewlett Packard (India)
+91 80 2051288 (Phone)
847 1288 (HP Telnet)

Re: Migrating DAta from MSSQL to postgre

From
"Shridhar Daithankar"
Date:
On 26 Nov 2002 at 10:53, Savita wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I need some help to migrate data from MSSQL to Postgres.
>
> I have the following a scnirio like.
>
> 1.I have a table in MSSQL.
> 2.I have another table in Postgres with different name and schema from the one
> which is present in MSSQL.
>
> Is it possible to migrate data from the table which is present in MSSQL to
> Postgres.

Obviously there are some commanalities between these two.. Some little scripts
in sed and awk might get you the text formatting needed for interoperation.

Text dump from one table and text load to other is the only way I can think..

HTH

Bye
 Shridhar

--
Random, n.:    As in number, predictable.  As in memory access, unpredictable.

Re: Migrating DAta from MSSQL to postgre

From
"scott.marlowe"
Date:
On Tue, 26 Nov 2002, Savita wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I need some help to migrate data from MSSQL to Postgres.
>
> I have the following a scnirio like.
>
> 1.I have a table in MSSQL.
> 2.I have another table in Postgres with different name and schema from the one
> which is present in MSSQL.
>
> Is it possible to migrate data from the table which is present in MSSQL to
> Postgres.

Sure.  But I'm not sure what you're asking exactly.  Are you wanting to
move data from tablea in the MSSQL to tablea in Postgresql, even though
they have different schema?  Or do you want to make a new tableb in
Postgresql to take in the data from tablea in MSSQL?  Or maybe a new
database so you can use the name tablea from MSSQL in Postgresql?

Generally, I've found it pretty easy to use ODBC and open a connection to
each database and then just 'select * from sourcetable' and the iterate
over the result set and build a whole bunch of 'insert into desttable
(f1,f2,f3,...fn) values ('v1','v2','v3',...'vn');'  and wrap them up in a
begin;commit; pair.

The other method is to dump the data to a text file on the MSSQL side and
then use /copy to suck the data in.  Both are pretty fast in my
experience, but the /copy is a little faster than the inserts.