Re: Migrating DAta from MSSQL to postgre - Mailing list pgsql-general

From scott.marlowe
Subject Re: Migrating DAta from MSSQL to postgre
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, 26 Nov 2002, Savita wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I need some help to migrate data from MSSQL to Postgres.
>
> I have the following a scnirio like.
>
> 1.I have a table in MSSQL.
> 2.I have another table in Postgres with different name and schema from the one
> which is present in MSSQL.
>
> Is it possible to migrate data from the table which is present in MSSQL to
> Postgres.

Sure.  But I'm not sure what you're asking exactly.  Are you wanting to
move data from tablea in the MSSQL to tablea in Postgresql, even though
they have different schema?  Or do you want to make a new tableb in
Postgresql to take in the data from tablea in MSSQL?  Or maybe a new
database so you can use the name tablea from MSSQL in Postgresql?

Generally, I've found it pretty easy to use ODBC and open a connection to
each database and then just 'select * from sourcetable' and the iterate
over the result set and build a whole bunch of 'insert into desttable
(f1,f2,f3,...fn) values ('v1','v2','v3',...'vn');'  and wrap them up in a
begin;commit; pair.

The other method is to dump the data to a text file on the MSSQL side and
then use /copy to suck the data in.  Both are pretty fast in my
experience, but the /copy is a little faster than the inserts.