Mailing lists archive search

From
Manfred Koizar
Date:
There is a small problem with the long output format.  This search

    Search for: rules
    Results per page: 10
    Output format: long
    Match: All
    Search for: Whole word
    Search through: PgSQL - Hackers
    in: all sections

gives

    Search Time: 9.672
    Search results: rules : 2614
    Displaying Documents: 1-10

1.PostgreSQL Mailing Lists [1]
    Search for: Results per page: 10 20 50 Search for: Whole word
Beginning Ending Substring Output format: Long Short URL Search
through: Entire site PgSQL - Admin PgSQL - Announce PgSQL - Bugs PgSQL
- Committers PgSQL - Cygwin PgSQL - Docs...

  * http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2002-06/thrd3.php
(text/html) Fri, 19 Jul 2002 21:38:29 EDT, 28531 bytes

2.Re: Queries using rules show no rows modified? PostgreSQL Mailing
Lists [1]
    Search for: Results per page: 10 20 50 Search for: Whole word
Beginning Ending Substring Output format: Long Short URL Search
through: Entire site PgSQL - Admin PgSQL - Announce PgSQL - Bugs PgSQL
- Committers PgSQL - Cygwin PgSQL - Docs...

  * http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2002-05/msg00495.php
(text/html) Wed, 24 Jul 2002 22:38:42 EDT, 11146 bytes

3.Re: NO CREATE TABLE PostgreSQL Mailing Lists [1]
Search for: Results per page: 10 20 50 Search for: Whole word
Beginning Ending

 ... etc. etc.

Note that "    Search for: Results per page: 10 20 50 Search for:
Whole word Beginning Ending Substring Output format: Long Short URL
Search through: Entire site PgSQL - Admin PgSQL - Announce PgSQL -
Bugs PgSQL - Committers PgSQL - Cygwin PgSQL - Docs..." is repeated
for each entry.  I'd expect a small part of the message here.

Servus
 Manfred

Re: Mailing lists archive search

Date:
Yes, I have seen that too.  In fact, I don't use it anymore because it
give the results in a poor format and pops up a new window on every new
message.  I use:

  http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&group=comp.databases.postgresql

However, that doesn't always work because the Usenet/email links is
sometimes broken, and there is fts.postgresql.org, but that hung last
time I tried it.

Can anyone tell how terrible our search archives are?

Manfred Koizar wrote:
> There is a small problem with the long output format.  This search
>
>     Search for: rules
>     Results per page: 10
>     Output format: long
>     Match: All
>     Search for: Whole word
>     Search through: PgSQL - Hackers
>     in: all sections

> gives
>
>     Search Time: 9.672
>     Search results: rules : 2614
>     Displaying Documents: 1-10
>
> 1.PostgreSQL Mailing Lists [1]
>     Search for: Results per page: 10 20 50 Search for: Whole word
> Beginning Ending Substring Output format: Long Short URL Search
> through: Entire site PgSQL - Admin PgSQL - Announce PgSQL - Bugs PgSQL
> - Committers PgSQL - Cygwin PgSQL - Docs...
>
>   * http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2002-06/thrd3.php
> (text/html) Fri, 19 Jul 2002 21:38:29 EDT, 28531 bytes
>
> 2.Re: Queries using rules show no rows modified? PostgreSQL Mailing
> Lists [1]
>     Search for: Results per page: 10 20 50 Search for: Whole word
> Beginning Ending Substring Output format: Long Short URL Search
> through: Entire site PgSQL - Admin PgSQL - Announce PgSQL - Bugs PgSQL
> - Committers PgSQL - Cygwin PgSQL - Docs...
>
>   * http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2002-05/msg00495.php
> (text/html) Wed, 24 Jul 2002 22:38:42 EDT, 11146 bytes
>
> 3.Re: NO CREATE TABLE PostgreSQL Mailing Lists [1]
> Search for: Results per page: 10 20 50 Search for: Whole word
> Beginning Ending
>
>  ... etc. etc.
>
> Note that "    Search for: Results per page: 10 20 50 Search for:
> Whole word Beginning Ending Substring Output format: Long Short URL
> Search through: Entire site PgSQL - Admin PgSQL - Announce PgSQL -
> Bugs PgSQL - Committers PgSQL - Cygwin PgSQL - Docs..." is repeated
> for each entry.  I'd expect a small part of the message here.
>
> Servus
>  Manfred

> http://archives.postgresql.org

Roland Roberts
Date:

    Bruce> Can anyone tell how terrible our search archives are?

Are you asking for testimonials?

I tried searching the archives for hints to a couple of problems I'm
having and gave up after wasting over an hour.  Message subjects are
insufficient to judge the pertinence of a search match and the long
format just shows the top of the page.

The problem seems to be the indexing engine is indexing the HMTL text
instead of the mail message.

It was easier to just ask here....

roland
--
               PGP Key ID: 66 BC 3B CD
roland@rlenter.com                     76-15 113th Street, Apt 3B

Oleg Bartunov
Date:
On 11 Sep 2002, Roland Roberts wrote:

>     Bruce> Can anyone tell how terrible our search archives are?
>
> Are you asking for testimonials?
>
> I tried searching the archives for hints to a couple of problems I'm
> having and gave up after wasting over an hour.  Message subjects are
> insufficient to judge the pertinence of a search match and the long
> format just shows the top of the page.

Agreed. Developing fts.postgresql.org we've kept this in mind and search
results provided with text fragments included query words.
Unfortunately, we have no time and resources to keep mailing list
archive (fts.postgresql.org) responsive. There are no technological problems.
I still hope to find a server for this service.

> The problem seems to be the indexing engine is indexing the HMTL text
> instead of the mail message.
>
> It was easier to just ask here....
>
> roland

    Regards,
        Oleg

"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
Okay, if its isn't operation right now, and you have no intentions of
working on it, can we remove it?  If its just wasting space, I can
definitely use that space ...

Date:
On Wed, 11 Sep 2002, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Yes, I have seen that too.  In fact, I don't use it anymore because it
> give the results in a poor format and pops up a new window on every new
> message.  I use:

Fixed ... that wasn't intentional ... I wanted the 'full page' to come up
on its own screen, but if you clicked on the next result, it was
*supposed* to re-use that same window, not open "yet another" ...

Re: Mailing lists archive search

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
Okay, still have one issue to work out, but check them out now ... ignore
the 'thread.php' and 'index.php' entries, as I'm working on getting rid of
those altogether, but the syntax isn't working as expected ...

but, if you look at the 'actual messages' in the results, they go
something like:

1.JDBC test suite patch [1359020032]
    I tried sending the email to jdbc and patches on the 17th but it didn't get through. I'm attempting again.. The
attachedpatch is my first run-through of the JDBC test suite. A summary of changes: . removal of the tablename property
frombuild.xml . additi...

  * http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-jdbc/2001-09/msg00276.php (text/html) undefined, 77786 bytes

Still not perfect, but hopefully its considered alot better then what was
there before?

 On Wed, 11 Sep 2002, Manfred Koizar wrote:

> There is a small problem with the long output format.  This search
>
>     Search for: rules
>     Results per page: 10
>     Output format: long
>     Match: All
>     Search for: Whole word
>     Search through: PgSQL - Hackers
>     in: all sections

> gives
>
>     Search Time: 9.672
>     Search results: rules : 2614
>     Displaying Documents: 1-10
>
> 1.PostgreSQL Mailing Lists [1]
>     Search for: Results per page: 10 20 50 Search for: Whole word
> Beginning Ending Substring Output format: Long Short URL Search
> through: Entire site PgSQL - Admin PgSQL - Announce PgSQL - Bugs PgSQL
> - Committers PgSQL - Cygwin PgSQL - Docs...
>
>   * http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2002-06/thrd3.php
> (text/html) Fri, 19 Jul 2002 21:38:29 EDT, 28531 bytes
>
> 2.Re: Queries using rules show no rows modified? PostgreSQL Mailing
> Lists [1]
>     Search for: Results per page: 10 20 50 Search for: Whole word
> Beginning Ending Substring Output format: Long Short URL Search
> through: Entire site PgSQL - Admin PgSQL - Announce PgSQL - Bugs PgSQL
> - Committers PgSQL - Cygwin PgSQL - Docs...
>
>   * http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2002-05/msg00495.php
> (text/html) Wed, 24 Jul 2002 22:38:42 EDT, 11146 bytes
>
> 3.Re: NO CREATE TABLE PostgreSQL Mailing Lists [1]
> Search for: Results per page: 10 20 50 Search for: Whole word
> Beginning Ending
>
>  ... etc. etc.
>
> Note that "    Search for: Results per page: 10 20 50 Search for:
> Whole word Beginning Ending Substring Output format: Long Short URL
> Search through: Entire site PgSQL - Admin PgSQL - Announce PgSQL -
> Bugs PgSQL - Committers PgSQL - Cygwin PgSQL - Docs..." is repeated
> for each entry.  I'd expect a small part of the message here.
>
> Servus
>  Manfred

> http://archives.postgresql.org

Re: Mailing lists archive search

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
En Thu, 12 Sep 2002 16:22:52 -0300 (ADT)
"Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org> escribió:

> but, if you look at the 'actual messages' in the results, they go
> something like:
>
> 1.JDBC test suite patch [1359020032]
>     I tried sending the email to jdbc and patches on the 17th but it didn't get through. I'm attempting again.. The
attachedpatch is my first run-through of the JDBC test suite. A summary of changes: . removal of the tablename property
frombuild.xml . additi...

Very nice.

One little thing is that some HTML codes seem to be escaped twice, so
one sees things such as

1.Re: DROP COLUMN misbehaviour with multiple inheritance [16842752]

 On Thu, 2002-09-12 at 16:14, Tom Lane wrote: > Hannu Krosing <hannu@tm.ee> writes: > > I've come upon a
misbehaviourof drop column, where drop column > > unconditionally drops inherited column from child tables. >
>What it shou...

And what is the big number at the end of the subject?  Looks like some
kind of score, but I don't think it's meaningful to the user as is (can
it be shown as a sort of percentage?)

"Cuando no hay humildad las personas se degradan" (A. Christie)

"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Thu, 12 Sep 2002, Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> En Thu, 12 Sep 2002 16:22:52 -0300 (ADT)
> "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org> escribi�:
>
> > but, if you look at the 'actual messages' in the results, they go
> > something like:
> >
> > 1.JDBC test suite patch [1359020032]
> >     I tried sending the email to jdbc and patches on the 17th but it didn't get through. I'm attempting again.. The
attachedpatch is my first run-through of the JDBC test suite. A summary of changes: . removal of the tablename property
frombuild.xml . additi...

> Very nice.
>
> One little thing is that some HTML codes seem to be escaped twice, so
> one sees things such as
>
> 1.Re: DROP COLUMN misbehaviour with multiple inheritance [16842752]
>
>  On Thu, 2002-09-12 at 16:14, Tom Lane wrote: > Hannu Krosing <hannu@tm.ee> writes: > > I've come upon
amisbehaviour of drop column, where drop column > > unconditionally drops inherited column from child tables.
>> What it shou...

not sure why its doing that yet ... next thing to look into :)

> And what is the big number at the end of the subject?  Looks like some
> kind of score, but I don't think it's meaningful to the user as is (can
> it be shown as a sort of percentage?)

Haven't got a clue, actually ... I noticed it also, but haven't had a
chance yet to look further at it then as a curiosity ... will see what I
can come up with ...