Nice Oracle tuning article

Date:
This is a nice article about tuning Oracle for Linux:

    http://www.linuxjournal.com//article.php?sid=5840

It would be nice to have some of these numbers for PostgreSQL.  Does
no-access-time affect performance?  What about the other parameters?

Re: [HACKERS] Nice Oracle tuning article

Date:
> This is a nice article about tuning Oracle for Linux:
>     http://www.linuxjournal.com//article.php?sid=5840

I thought it was a tad amusing that his benchmarking setup was TPC-C
driven by Benchmark Factory.

(For those not in the know, this is exactly the setup that Great Bridge
used a couple years ago for their much-maligned benchmarks... One would
at least like to know what sort of networking is involved, seeing as
how Benchmark Factory only runs on Windows.)

            regards, tom lane

Re: [HACKERS] Nice Oracle tuning article

From
GB Clark
Date:
On Sun, 24 Feb 2002 20:42:15 -0500 (EST)
Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us> wrote:

> This is a nice article about tuning Oracle for Linux:
>
>     http://www.linuxjournal.com//article.php?sid=5840
>
> It would be nice to have some of these numbers for PostgreSQL.  Does
> no-access-time affect performance?  What about the other parameters?
Bruce,

I know for a fact that under FreeBSD setting noatime in /etc/fstab helps both
PostgreSQL and Apache.  Otherwise the system has to update whichever file has been
touched even though on 95% of the files we don't care.  Maybe not quite as a big win
as Apache, but it does help PostgreSQL.

GB

--
GB Clark II             | Roaming FreeBSD Admin
gclarkii@VSServices.COM | General Geek

Re: [HACKERS] Nice Oracle tuning article

From
Jan Wieck
Tom Lane wrote:
> > This is a nice article about tuning Oracle for Linux:
> >  http://www.linuxjournal.com//article.php?sid=5840
>
> I thought it was a tad amusing that his benchmarking setup was TPC-C
> driven by Benchmark Factory.
>
> (For those not in the know, this is exactly the setup that Great Bridge
> used a couple years ago for their much-maligned benchmarks... One would
> at least like to know what sort of networking is involved, seeing as
> how Benchmark Factory only runs on Windows.)

    Benchmark  Factory  connects  via ODBC to a database and runs
    some queries.  The queries might look similar to what a TPC-C
    benchmark  would look like, but be sure, it has nothing to do
    with a real TPC-C implementation.

    I analyzed the thing during my time at GB a little. There  is
    no  system  under  test, stressed by simulated users. Instead
    there is a simulated application stressing  a  database.  The
    database schema uses floating point fields for monetary data,
    making the run of the  constistency  checks  impossible.  The
    consistency  after  a  benchmark run wouldn't be given anyway
    because it doesn't really do what TPC-C defines.

    And most important, it doesn't allow you to use the  strength
    of  your  database  system! The TPC-C specs for example allow
    you to move part of the  logic  into  stored  procedures  and
    functions. Impossible with that Benchmark Factory stuff.

    All  in  all  it  produces  some nice graphics, but that's it
    IMNSVHO.

Jan

GB Clark wrote:
> On Sun, 24 Feb 2002 20:42:15 -0500 (EST)
> Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us> wrote:
>
> > This is a nice article about tuning Oracle for Linux:
> >
> >     http://www.linuxjournal.com//article.php?sid=5840
> >
> > It would be nice to have some of these numbers for PostgreSQL.  Does
> > no-access-time affect performance?  What about the other parameters?
> Bruce,
>
> I know for a fact that under FreeBSD setting noatime in /etc/fstab helps both
> PostgreSQL and Apache.  Otherwise the system has to update whichever file has been
> touched even though on 95% of the files we don't care.  Maybe not quite as a big win
> as Apache, but it does help PostgreSQL.

I would be interested to know if this parameter setting gives the same
performance boost as noatime:

    wal_sync_method = fdatasync

Does FreeBSD have fdatastync?  Should be the same because atime
performance is only an issue with fsync, and fdatasync is supposed to
only update the data and not the inode stuff.