Re: [HACKERS] Nice Oracle tuning article - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Nice Oracle tuning article
Date
List pgsql-general
GB Clark wrote:
> On Sun, 24 Feb 2002 20:42:15 -0500 (EST)
> Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us> wrote:
>
> > This is a nice article about tuning Oracle for Linux:
> >
> >     http://www.linuxjournal.com//article.php?sid=5840
> >
> > It would be nice to have some of these numbers for PostgreSQL.  Does
> > no-access-time affect performance?  What about the other parameters?
> Bruce,
>
> I know for a fact that under FreeBSD setting noatime in /etc/fstab helps both
> PostgreSQL and Apache.  Otherwise the system has to update whichever file has been
> touched even though on 95% of the files we don't care.  Maybe not quite as a big win
> as Apache, but it does help PostgreSQL.

I would be interested to know if this parameter setting gives the same
performance boost as noatime:

    wal_sync_method = fdatasync

Does FreeBSD have fdatastync?  Should be the same because atime
performance is only an issue with fsync, and fdatasync is supposed to
only update the data and not the inode stuff.