Re: [HACKERS] Nice Oracle tuning article - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jan Wieck
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Nice Oracle tuning article
Date
List pgsql-general
Tom Lane wrote:
> > This is a nice article about tuning Oracle for Linux:
> >  http://www.linuxjournal.com//article.php?sid=5840
>
> I thought it was a tad amusing that his benchmarking setup was TPC-C
> driven by Benchmark Factory.
>
> (For those not in the know, this is exactly the setup that Great Bridge
> used a couple years ago for their much-maligned benchmarks... One would
> at least like to know what sort of networking is involved, seeing as
> how Benchmark Factory only runs on Windows.)

    Benchmark  Factory  connects  via ODBC to a database and runs
    some queries.  The queries might look similar to what a TPC-C
    benchmark  would look like, but be sure, it has nothing to do
    with a real TPC-C implementation.

    I analyzed the thing during my time at GB a little. There  is
    no  system  under  test, stressed by simulated users. Instead
    there is a simulated application stressing  a  database.  The
    database schema uses floating point fields for monetary data,
    making the run of the  constistency  checks  impossible.  The
    consistency  after  a  benchmark run wouldn't be given anyway
    because it doesn't really do what TPC-C defines.

    And most important, it doesn't allow you to use the  strength
    of  your  database  system! The TPC-C specs for example allow
    you to move part of the  logic  into  stored  procedures  and
    functions. Impossible with that Benchmark Factory stuff.

    All  in  all  it  produces  some nice graphics, but that's it
    IMNSVHO.

Jan