Pg.so problem

From
Samik Raychaudhuri
Date:
Hello,
I have a peculiar problem. I want to use DBD::Pg in a Sun machine,
whereas the PG database is running on another machine (i.e. another OS).
When trying to run a perl program on Sun OS, the perl engine asks for
Pg.so, which I don't have. Can anybody share the Pg.so file for my OS,
or give any idea of getting it (without, of course, asking me to compile
the source code :).

My OS description:
raychaudhuri@sun-80>uname -a
SunOS sun-80 5.8 Generic_108528-12 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Blade-100

If one can kindly share the file, he/she can directly mail it to me
attached, rather than posting on the discussion group.
Thanks and regards.
-Samik
Samik Raychaudhuri
Email address: samik@cae.wisc.edu

Re: Pg.so problem

From
Holger Marzen
Date:
On Thu, 14 Feb 2002, Samik Raychaudhuri wrote:

> I have a peculiar problem. I want to use DBD::Pg in a Sun machine,
> whereas the PG database is running on another machine (i.e. another OS).
> When trying to run a perl program on Sun OS, the perl engine asks for
> Pg.so, which I don't have. Can anybody share the Pg.so file for my OS,
> or give any idea of getting it (without, of course, asking me to compile
> the source code :).

There is no magic in compiling. I installed other DBD's on Solaris (but
not yet DBD::Pg), and it's really easy.

Just get the free gcc2.9x from www.sunfreeware.com and follow the
instructions.

--
PGP/GPG Key-ID:
http://blackhole.pca.dfn.de:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xB5A1AFE1

Re: Pg.so problem

From
Samik Raychaudhuri
Date:
Actually the problem is: my PG database runs on Windows, and don't have
sufficient privileges for compiling the complete postgresql source code
in the sun machine. Is there any other way?
Thanks and regards.
-Samik

Holger Marzen wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Feb 2002, Samik Raychaudhuri wrote:
>

>>I have a peculiar problem. I want to use DBD::Pg in a Sun machine,
>>whereas the PG database is running on another machine (i.e. another OS).
>>When trying to run a perl program on Sun OS, the perl engine asks for
>>Pg.so, which I don't have. Can anybody share the Pg.so file for my OS,
>>or give any idea of getting it (without, of course, asking me to compile
>>the source code :).
>>

> There is no magic in compiling. I installed other DBD's on Solaris (but
> not yet DBD::Pg), and it's really easy.
>
> Just get the free gcc2.9x from www.sunfreeware.com and follow the
> instructions.

Samik Raychaudhuri
Email address: samik@cae.wisc.edu
Homepage: http://samikr.tripod.com/

Office Address:
------------------------------------
Dept. of Industrial Engineering
1513, University Avenue
Madison, WI 53706, USA
Phone: 1-608-265-4146
Fax: 1-608-262-8454

Residence Address:
--------------------------
401, Chamberlain Avenue, Apt # 7
Madison, WI 53705, USA
Phone: 1-608-232-0248

Re: Pg.so problem

From
Doug McNaught
Date:
Samik Raychaudhuri <samik@cae.wisc.edu> writes:

> Actually the problem is: my PG database runs on Windows,

Gaaah!

>                                                          and don't
> have sufficient privileges for compiling the complete postgresql
> source code in the sun machine.

You don't need privileges; you just need disk space (which I
understand you might not have).  You should be able to compile and
install the libraries in your user account, and persuade Perl to load
its libs from there.  Exactly how is left as an exercise for the
student.  ;)

> Is there any other way?

Hmmm, you could read the frontend/backend protocol doc and implement a
"pure Perl" client library (rather than one that links against libpq).
It's been done for a couple of Lisp implementations.  Be a lot of
work, though.

-Doug
   --T. J. Jackson, 1863

Re: Pg.so problem

From
Lincoln Yeoh
Date:
At 12:57 AM 2/15/02 -0600, Samik Raychaudhuri wrote:
>Actually the problem is: my PG database runs on Windows, and don't have
>sufficient privileges for compiling the complete postgresql source code
>in the sun machine. Is there any other way?
>Thanks and regards.
>-Samik

Some options:
    Compile client and include libraries.
    Build and use DBD::Proxy on the Solaris and target (only if desperate!).
    Find another similar sun machine where you have more privileges and
compile PG.
    Specify your O/S and hardware info+version in detail, and hopefully
someone can compile the necessary binaries for you.

Cheerio,
Link.

Re: Pg.so problem

From
Adrian Phillips
Date:

    Samik> Actually the problem is: my PG database runs on Windows,
    Samik> and don't have sufficient privileges for compiling the
    Samik> complete postgresql source code in the sun machine. Is
    Samik> there any other way?  Thanks and regards.  -Samik

Try DBD::Proxy

Sincerely,

Adrian Phillips

--
Your mouse has moved.
Reboot now?  [OK]

Re: Pg.so problem

From
Samik Raychaudhuri
Date:
Thanks for all the help. I was actually able to compile source code of
Pg-7.3.1 and set the perl interfaces from scratch. Things are working
fine now. Thankfully, I had a lot of disk-space to complete the total
thing.
Thanks specially to Mr. Doug McNaught to inspire me to go for it in
this way ;)
Regards.
-Samik