Progress, anything in common with PostgreSQl besides clever name?

From
"Ian Harding"
Date:
I have just talked to a salesman who is pitching a Progress based accounting package.  I did a quick look at the
marketingpropaganda on their website, and a search of postgresql.org and can't find where they talk about each other.
Isee in Bruce's book mention of Ingres, but not Progress.

Is their clever name (or unfortunate name, if you are searching the web for information) just a coincidence, or is
therea connection?

Thanks!

Ian A. Harding
Programmer/Analyst II
Tacoma-Pierce County Health Department
(253) 798-3549
mailto: ianh@tpchd.org

Re: Progress, anything in common with PostgreSQl besides clever name?

From
Doug McNaught
Date:
"Ian Harding" <ianh@tpchd.org> writes:

> I have just talked to a salesman who is pitching a Progress based accounting
> package.  I did a quick look at the marketing propaganda on their website,
> and a search of postgresql.org and can't find where they talk about each
> other.  I see in Bruce's book mention of Ingres, but not Progress.
>
> Is their clever name (or unfortunate name, if you are searching the web for
> information) just a coincidence, or is there a connection?

Progress is a proprietary SQL database that's been around for a
while.  No relation to Postgres that I know of, but I could be wrong.

-Doug
   --T. J. Jackson, 1863

Re: Progress, anything in common with PostgreSQl besides

From
"Matthew G. Gilarde"
Date:
Ian Harding wrote:

> I have just talked to a salesman who is pitching a Progress based
> accounting package.  I did a quick look at the marketing propaganda
> on their website, and a search of postgresql.org and can't find
> where they talk about each other.  I see in Bruce's book mention
> of Ingres, but not Progress.
>
> Is their clever name (or unfortunate name, if you are searching
> the web for information) just a coincidence, or is there a
> connection?

There is no connection between Progress and Postgres, although
posters on comp.databases.progress often get them confused.

- Matt Gilarde (former Progress Software employee)

Re: Progress, anything in common with PostgreSQl besides clever

Date:
> I have just talked to a salesman who is pitching a Progress
> based accounting package.  I did a quick look at the marketing
> propaganda on their website, and a search of postgresql.org and
> can't find where they talk about each other.  I see in Bruce's
> book mention of Ingres, but not Progress.
>
> Is their clever name (or unfortunate name, if you are searching
> the web for information) just a coincidence, or is there a
> connection?

Coincidence.

Re: Progress, anything in common with PostgreSQl besides clever name?

From
Dave Smith
Date:
Progress is a 4gl database. try www.progress.com

Ian Harding wrote:

> I have just talked to a salesman who is pitching a Progress based accounting package.  I did a quick look at the
marketingpropaganda on their website, and a search of postgresql.org and can't find where they talk about each other.
Isee in Bruce's book mention of Ingres, but not Progress.

> Is their clever name (or unfortunate name, if you are searching the web for information) just a coincidence, or is
therea connection?

> Thanks!
>
> Ian A. Harding
> Programmer/Analyst II
> Tacoma-Pierce County Health Department
> (253) 798-3549
> mailto: ianh@tpchd.org

Re: Progress, anything in common with PostgreSQl besides clever name?

From
Gunnar Rønning
Date:
* Dave Smith <dave.smith@candata.com> wrote:

| Progress is a 4gl database. try www.progress.com

Well, they have a SQL frontend as well. We used this one last year because
the consultants responsible for implementation of the project came from
Progress. Apptivity application server on top Progress database was a total
disaster at that time, support bad and not responsive(they didn't get the
red flag when I started sending backtraces from coredumps and suggesting
what the problems might be...).

Anyway we migrated away from that horrible platform, first we converted the
Apptivity application and datamodel to pgsql. Big win, no more random
crashes. Only problem left how to get rid of memory leaks in Apptivity,
well we couldn't so we dumped it and went with a lightweight WebMacro solution
that served us a lot better. PostgreSQL just runs, WebMacro on Apache
just runs, and I don't get wakeup calls in the middle of the night anymore ;-)

Frustrated,

        Gunnar

--
Gunnar Rønning - gunnar@polygnosis.com