Re: Progress, anything in common with PostgreSQl besides clever name? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Gunnar Rønning
Subject Re: Progress, anything in common with PostgreSQl besides clever name?
Date
List pgsql-general
* Dave Smith <dave.smith@candata.com> wrote:

| Progress is a 4gl database. try www.progress.com

Well, they have a SQL frontend as well. We used this one last year because
the consultants responsible for implementation of the project came from
Progress. Apptivity application server on top Progress database was a total
disaster at that time, support bad and not responsive(they didn't get the
red flag when I started sending backtraces from coredumps and suggesting
what the problems might be...).

Anyway we migrated away from that horrible platform, first we converted the
Apptivity application and datamodel to pgsql. Big win, no more random
crashes. Only problem left how to get rid of memory leaks in Apptivity,
well we couldn't so we dumped it and went with a lightweight WebMacro solution
that served us a lot better. PostgreSQL just runs, WebMacro on Apache
just runs, and I don't get wakeup calls in the middle of the night anymore ;-)

Frustrated,

        Gunnar

--
Gunnar Rønning - gunnar@polygnosis.com