Backup Postgre Windows to Linux

From
Flávio Brito
Date:
Hi ALL

I imported a database from Access 2000 to Postgre for Windows but now I can't
backup my database to export to Postgre for Linux .
I tried to use pg_dumpall > db.sql, its freeze on Windows2000 for more than a
hour. My database has 6 MB.

I can backup my database directory on Windows (using ZIP) and put it on Linux?

Thanks

Flávio Brito
Rio de Janeiro
Brasil

Re: Backup Postgre Windows to Linux

From
Joel Burton
Date:
On Thu, 18 Oct 2001, [iso-8859-1] Fl�vio Brito wrote:

> Hi ALL
>
> I imported a database from Access 2000 to Postgre for Windows but now I can't
> backup my database to export to Postgre for Linux .
> I tried to use pg_dumpall > db.sql, its freeze on Windows2000 for more than a
> hour. My database has 6 MB.
>
> I can backup my database directory on Windows (using ZIP) and put it on Linux?

Might want to try pg_dump (rather than dumpall), perhaps even using the
-t option to pick just one table. This could let us find out if you can
dump *anything* or not.

--

Joel BURTON  |  joel@joelburton.com  |  joelburton.com  |  aim: wjoelburton
Independent Knowledge Management Consultant

Re: Backup Postgre Windows to Linux

From
Flávio Brito
Date:
Dear Joel

When I try it I recieve a erro . Cannot conect .... but it on air. I tested
by pgAdmin

More suggestions? There is no way to export structure and data using  SQL,
like this?

CREATE table .....

INSERT INTO .....

Thanks again

Flávio Brito
Rio de Janeiro
Brasil

Em Qui 18 Out 2001 15:53, Joel Burton escreveu:
> On Thu, 18 Oct 2001, [iso-8859-1] Flávio Brito wrote:
> > Hi ALL
> >
> > I imported a database from Access 2000 to Postgre for Windows but now I
> > can't backup my database to export to Postgre for Linux .
> > I tried to use pg_dumpall > db.sql, its freeze on Windows2000 for more
> > than a hour. My database has 6 MB.
> >
> > I can backup my database directory on Windows (using ZIP) and put it on
> > Linux?
>
> Might want to try pg_dump (rather than dumpall), perhaps even using the
> -t option to pick just one table. This could let us find out if you can
> dump *anything* or not.

Re: Backup Postgre Windows to Linux

From
Andrew Gould
Date:
If all else fails, try to access the PostgreSQL
database from MS Access via ODBC.  This would give you
some options to move/backup the data to Linux.

Best of luck,

Andrew Gould

http://personals.yahoo.com

Date:
On Thu, 18 Oct 2001, Andrew Gould wrote:

> If all else fails, try to access the PostgreSQL
> database from MS Access via ODBC.  This would give you
> some options to move/backup the data to Linux.

Ugh. If neccessary. Access will recast a lot of the data
into Access-centric field types and such.

If you had to that, it would be best to CREATE TABLEs on
the Linux directly or from a schema-only dump, and use
Access to populate the data only.

HTH,
--

Date:
On Thu, 18 Oct 2001, [iso-8859-1] Fl�vio Brito wrote:

> Dear Joel
>
> When I try it I recieve a erro . Cannot conect .... but it on air. I tested
> by pgAdmin
>
> More suggestions? There is no way to export structure and data using  SQL,
> like this?
>
> CREATE table .....
>
> INSERT INTO .....

Yes, pg_dump and pg_dumpall call do this.

Can you post the exact command you are running (blank out any password or
hostname, etc.) and the exact error message you get?

--

Joel BURTON  |  joel@joelburton.com  |  joelburton.com  |  aim: wjoelburton
Independent Knowledge Management Consultant

Re: Backup Postgre Windows to Linux

From
Flávio Brito
Date:
Hi Joel,

I am using  "pg_dumpall -h localhost -p 5432 > db.out"
When I try it on Windows its turns my printer on and freeze

Em Qui 18 Out 2001 20:05, you wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Oct 2001, Andrew Gould wrote:
> > If all else fails, try to access the PostgreSQL
> > database from MS Access via ODBC.  This would give you
> > some options to move/backup the data to Linux.
>
> Ugh. If neccessary. Access will recast a lot of the data
> into Access-centric field types and such.
>
> If you had to that, it would be best to CREATE TABLEs on
> the Linux directly or from a schema-only dump, and use
> Access to populate the data only.
>
> HTH,

Re: Backup Postgre Windows to Linux

From
"Brett W. McCoy"
Date:
On Fri, 19 Oct 2001, Flávio Brito wrote:

> I am using  "pg_dumpall -h localhost -p 5432 > db.out"
> When I try it on Windows its turns my printer on and freeze

Ouch!  What version of Windows are you using?  I seem to recall that DOS &
Windows used to remap an interrupt (divide by zero?  overflow?) to be a
printer interrupt, so certain fatal exceptions trapped by the hardware
would just start printing crap out on the printer inadvertently.  I wonder
if this is still the case in newer versions of Windows?

-- Brett
                                          http://www.chapelperilous.net/
"All we are given is possibilities -- to make ourselves one thing or another."
-- Ortega y Gasset