Re: PG mailing list problems (was Re: Support issues)

From
Frank Joerdens
Date:
* Tom Lane (tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us) [011005 13:58]:
> David Link <dlink@soundscan.com> writes:
> > I joined this mailing list on Tuesday.  And today, Friday, I still
> > haven't seen a single post.
>
> Marc, I think there is something rotten in Denmark: certain mail lists
> are not getting sent out to certain addresses, looks like.

I'm seeing a behaviour I'd describe as "bursty".  A day
of silence, followed by a deluge of messages, followed by silence ...
No ascertainable pattern.  I looked for problems on my end first, but
it's only affecting traffic from postgres.org.

-------------- end quote --------------

For me it only affects pgsl-general at the moment. The last mail I
received from there is dated 30 September. Mails form pgsl-hackers, sql,
interfaces and php are OK. I've seen "bursty" behaviour before too.

I was only able to reply to this thread by going to

http://archives2.us.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2001-10/msg00128.php

and copying the quoted mail above from the web page.

The only thing that is non-standard or queer (I don't really know
whether any mailers still pay attention to it) about our mail server is
that reverse lookup for it's IP address does not work at the moment (we
have a hidden primary and trying to do classless in-addr-arpa delegation
for our /28 subnet which our ISP seems to be confused about, I think).

Regards, Frank

Re: PG mailing list problems (was Re: Support issues)

Date:
Frank Joerdens <frank@joerdens.de> writes:
> * Tom Lane (tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us) [011005 13:58]:
>> Marc, I think there is something rotten in Denmark: certain mail lists
>> are not getting sent out to certain addresses, looks like.

> For me it only affects pgsl-general at the moment. The last mail I
> received from there is dated 30 September. Mails form pgsl-hackers, sql,
> interfaces and php are OK. I've seen "bursty" behaviour before too.

> The only thing that is non-standard or queer (I don't really know
> whether any mailers still pay attention to it) about our mail server is
> that reverse lookup for it's IP address does not work at the moment

My RDNS is busted too, but I'm not having any trouble receiving PG mail.
So the problem is probably not that...

            regards, tom lane

Re: PG mailing list problems (was Re: Support issues)

From
Jim Caley
Date:
Has anyone heard any more about this problem?  I also haven't gotten anything
from pgsql-general since Oct. 1.  The other lists seem to be working fine for
me.

I tried re-subscribing, plus sending an e-mail to pgsql-general-admin.  The
re-subscribe seemed to go normally and successfully, but I still haven't
received any postings.  I haven't heard back from the admin yet.

I got the info below from the archives.  I'll have to check back there to even
see if this post made it through, I guess. :(

Thanks,
Jim

>      Date: Sun, 07 Oct 2001 10:02:46 -0400
>

> Frank Joerdens <frank@joerdens.de> writes:
> > * Tom Lane (tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us) [011005 13:58]:
> >> Marc, I think there is something rotten in Denmark: certain mail lists
> >> are not getting sent out to certain addresses, looks like.
>
> > For me it only affects pgsl-general at the moment. The last mail I
> > received from there is dated 30 September. Mails form pgsl-hackers, sql,
> > interfaces and php are OK. I've seen "bursty" behaviour before too.
>
> > The only thing that is non-standard or queer (I don't really know
> > whether any mailers still pay attention to it) about our mail server is
> > that reverse lookup for it's IP address does not work at the moment
>
> My RDNS is busted too, but I'm not having any trouble receiving PG mail.
> So the problem is probably not that...
>
>                         regards, tom lane

Re: PG mailing list problems (was Re: Support issues)

From
Alvar Freude
Date:
Hi,

> Has anyone heard any more about this problem?  I also haven't gotten
> anything from pgsql-general since Oct. 1.  The other lists seem to be
> working fine for me.

I got since about one hour mails to an old account, which I disabled months
ago.
Perhaps someone took an old backup?

Ciao
  Alvar

--
Experiment about censorship: http://odem.org/insert_coin/imkp2001.html
                             http://odem.org/insert_coin/

Alvar Freude
Date:
Hi,

> Has anyone heard any more about this problem?  I also haven't gotten
> anything from pgsql-general since Oct. 1.  The other lists seem to be
> working fine for me.

I got since about one hour mails to an old account, which I disabled months
ago.
Perhaps someone took an old backup?

Ciao
  Alvar

--
Experiment about censorship: http://odem.org/insert_coin/imkp2001.html
                             http://odem.org/insert_coin/
                    Blaster: http://a-blast.org/

David Link
Jim Caley wrote:

> Has anyone heard any more about this problem?  I also haven't gotten anything
> from pgsql-general since Oct. 1.  The other lists seem to be working fine for
> me.

I am still only getting a few of the pgsql-general postings.  I know
this by checking the archives.

Re: PG mailing list problems (was Re: Support issues)

From
Jeff Boes
Date:
On Thu, 11 Oct 2001 10:13:37 -0400
David Link <dlink@soundscan.com> wrote:

> Jim Caley wrote:
> >
> > Has anyone heard any more about this problem?  I also haven't gotten anything
> > from pgsql-general since Oct. 1.  The other lists seem to be working fine for
> > me.
>
> I am still only getting a few of the pgsql-general postings.  I know
> this by checking the archives.

Hmm ... my problem is almost the opposite. I signed up for a half-dozen
lists 'NOMAIL', so I could post through Usenet. Suddenly, I'm getting mail
from all the lists...

Re: PG mailing list problems (was Re: Support issues)

From
Andrew Gould
Date:
I'm receiving mail from the list very sporadically.

Andrew

--- David Link <dlink@soundscan.com> wrote:
> Jim Caley wrote:
> >
> > Has anyone heard any more about this problem?  I
> also haven't gotten anything
> > from pgsql-general since Oct. 1.  The other lists
> seem to be working fine for
> > me.
>
> I am still only getting a few of the pgsql-general
> postings.  I know
> this by checking the archives.

Culley Harrelson
Date:
I have the exact opposite problem-- I keep turning off direct mailing for
pgsql-general (with successfull confirmation) and it keeps sending me mail
anyway! haha

culley

--- David Link <dlink@soundscan.com> wrote:
> Jim Caley wrote:
> >
> > Has anyone heard any more about this problem?  I also haven't gotten
> anything
> > from pgsql-general since Oct. 1.  The other lists seem to be working
> fine for
> > me.
>
> I am still only getting a few of the pgsql-general postings.  I know
> this by checking the archives.

> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

David Link
Date:
I signed up 02-Oct-2001 and just today started to receive a stream of
msgs from pgsql-general.  So it wasn't working for me and now it is.  I
hope this helps.
-David