problems on solaris 7

From
Peter Lauko
Date:
Hi!
I've installed 7.1.2 on sparc solaris 7.
configure, make, install and initdb worked perfectly.
When I try to start postmaster:

postgres$ postmaster
IpcMemoryCreate: shmget(key=5432001, size=1245184, 03600) failed: Invalid argument

I've read in administrator's guide to put the following lines in /etc/system:

set shmsys:shminfo_shmmax=0x2000000
set shmsys:shminfo_shmmin=1
set shmsys:shminfo_shmmni=256
set shmsys:shminfo_shmseg=256
set semsys:seminfo_semmap=256
set semsys:seminfo_semmni=512
set semsys:seminfo_semmns=512
set semsys:seminfo_semmsl=32

Since then postmaster starts, but when I try to use psql, createuser or createdb they drop segmentation fault. (when
tryingto use psql with a nonexisting database - i.e. other than template1 - it works fine: reports the error and
exits).Regression check also fails at createdb with segfault.

I suppose this is a problem in my solaris settings and not in postgres, but I'm not an expert of kernel level solaris
configuration.Could anyone help me please?! I'm running out of time.

thanks, Peter

Re: problems on solaris 7

From
Justin Clift
Date:
Hi Peter,

There's a Solaris specific installation guide for PostgreSQL at :

http://techdocs.postgresql.org/installguides.php#solaris

Have you taken a look at it yet?

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

Peter Lauko wrote:

> Hi!
> I've installed 7.1.2 on sparc solaris 7.
> configure, make, install and initdb worked perfectly.
> When I try to start postmaster:
>
> postgres$ postmaster
> IpcMemoryCreate: shmget(key=5432001, size=1245184, 03600) failed: Invalid argument
>
> I've read in administrator's guide to put the following lines in /etc/system:
>
> set shmsys:shminfo_shmmax=0x2000000
> set shmsys:shminfo_shmmin=1
> set shmsys:shminfo_shmmni=256
> set shmsys:shminfo_shmseg=256
> set semsys:seminfo_semmap=256
> set semsys:seminfo_semmni=512
> set semsys:seminfo_semmns=512
> set semsys:seminfo_semmsl=32
>
> Since then postmaster starts, but when I try to use psql, createuser or createdb they drop segmentation fault. (when
tryingto use psql with a nonexisting database - i.e. other than template1 - it works fine: reports the error and
exits).Regression check also fails at createdb with segfault.

> I suppose this is a problem in my solaris settings and not in postgres, but I'm not an expert of kernel level solaris
configuration.Could anyone help me please?! I'm running out of time.

> thanks, Peter

> http://www.postgresql.org/search.mpl

   - Indira Gandhi

Re: problems on solaris 7

From
Mark kirkwood
Date:
Is using Solaris 8 an option ?

Postgresql 7.1.1, 7.1.2 and 7.2dev all seem to run ok on this release of
Solaris.
( I used the 64 bit enabled kernel and upped shmmax)

regards

Mark

Re: problems on solaris 7

From
Justin Clift
Date:
Ouch...

Did you definitely make sure it was doing the test with Unix Domain
Sockets instead of via TCP (it's a search and replace, as per that
Installation Guide)?  If so, then the test results are accurate and it
could be a problem.

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

Peter Lauko wrote:

> YESSS, it seems to work now!!!
> Thank you very very much!!! (of course everyone who tried to help)
>
> only one thing:
> regression test fails at 2 points
> abstime              ... FAILED
> random               ... failed (ignored)
>
> the regression.diffs file looks:
>
> *** ./expected/abstime-solaris-1947.out Thu May  3 21:00:37 2001
> --- ./results/abstime.out   Sun Aug 26 18:03:49 2001
> ***************
> *** 47,56 ****
>        | Sun Jan 14 03:14:21 1973 PST
>        | Mon May 01 00:30:30 1995 PDT
>        | epoch
> -      | current
>        | -infinity
>        | Sat May 10 23:59:12 1947 PDT
> ! (6 rows)
>
>   SELECT '' AS six, ABSTIME_TBL.*
>      WHERE ABSTIME_TBL.f1 > abstime '-infinity';
> --- 47,55 ----
>        | Sun Jan 14 03:14:21 1973 PST
>        | Mon May 01 00:30:30 1995 PDT
>        | epoch
>        | -infinity
>        | Sat May 10 23:59:12 1947 PDT
> ! (5 rows)
>
>   SELECT '' AS six, ABSTIME_TBL.*
>      WHERE ABSTIME_TBL.f1 > abstime '-infinity';

> *** ./expected/random.out   Thu Jan  6 07:40:54 2000
> --- ./results/random.out    Sun Aug 26 18:05:12 2001
> ***************
> *** 31,35 ****
>     WHERE random NOT BETWEEN 80 AND 120;
>    random
>   --------
> ! (0 rows)
>
> --- 31,36 ----
>     WHERE random NOT BETWEEN 80 AND 120;
>    random
>   --------
> !     127
> ! (1 row)
>
> #######################################
>
> What does it mean? CURRENT_TIMESTAMP and CURRENT_DATE seem to produce the expected results.
> thanks again, Peter
>
> Justin Clift <justin@postgresql.org> wrote:
>
> > Hi Peter,
> >
> > There's a Solaris specific installation guide for PostgreSQL at :
> >
> > http://techdocs.postgresql.org/installguides.php#solaris
> >
> > Have you taken a look at it yet?
> >
> > Regards and best wishes,
> >
> > Justin Clift

   - Indira Gandhi

Re: problems on solaris 7

From
Peter Lauko
Date:
YESSS, it seems to work now!!!
Thank you very very much!!! (of course everyone who tried to help)

only one thing:
regression test fails at 2 points
abstime              ... FAILED
random               ... failed (ignored)

the regression.diffs file looks:

*** ./expected/abstime-solaris-1947.out Thu May  3 21:00:37 2001
--- ./results/abstime.out   Sun Aug 26 18:03:49 2001
***************
*** 47,56 ****
       | Sun Jan 14 03:14:21 1973 PST
       | Mon May 01 00:30:30 1995 PDT
       | epoch
-      | current
       | -infinity
       | Sat May 10 23:59:12 1947 PDT
! (6 rows)

  SELECT '' AS six, ABSTIME_TBL.*
     WHERE ABSTIME_TBL.f1 > abstime '-infinity';
--- 47,55 ----
       | Sun Jan 14 03:14:21 1973 PST
       | Mon May 01 00:30:30 1995 PDT
       | epoch
       | -infinity
       | Sat May 10 23:59:12 1947 PDT
! (5 rows)

  SELECT '' AS six, ABSTIME_TBL.*
     WHERE ABSTIME_TBL.f1 > abstime '-infinity';

*** ./expected/random.out   Thu Jan  6 07:40:54 2000
--- ./results/random.out    Sun Aug 26 18:05:12 2001
***************
*** 31,35 ****
    WHERE random NOT BETWEEN 80 AND 120;
   random
  --------
! (0 rows)

--- 31,36 ----
    WHERE random NOT BETWEEN 80 AND 120;
   random
  --------
!     127
! (1 row)

#######################################

What does it mean? CURRENT_TIMESTAMP and CURRENT_DATE seem to produce the expected results.
thanks again, Peter

Justin Clift <justin@postgresql.org> wrote:

> Hi Peter,
>
> There's a Solaris specific installation guide for PostgreSQL at :
>
> http://techdocs.postgresql.org/installguides.php#solaris
>
> Have you taken a look at it yet?
>
> Regards and best wishes,
>
> Justin Clift

Re: problems on solaris 7

From
Peter Lauko
Date:
Hi!
Well, you write just the opposite in installation guide:

"19. Run the regression tests to make sure the compilation worked
Firstly though you'll need to edit the src/test/regress/pg_regress.sh script to use TCP instead of UNIX domain sockets
$ cd src/test/regress
$ sed "s/beos/beos\* | \*solaris/" pg_regress.sh > pg_regress.tmp
$ mv pg_regress.tmp pg_regress.sh
$ cd ../../..
$ make check"

I've done this, so that pg_regress.sh looks this way:

case $host_platform in
    *-*-qnx* | *beos* | *solaris*)
        unix_sockets=no;;
    *)
        unix_sockets=yes;;
esac

It seems that I use tcp. So, which one is the good one?
bye, Peter

Justin Clift <justin@postgresql.org> wrote:

> Ouch...
>
> Did you definitely make sure it was doing the test with Unix Domain
> Sockets instead of via TCP (it's a search and replace, as per that
> Installation Guide)?  If so, then the test results are accurate and it
> could be a problem.
>
> Regards and best wishes,
>
> Justin Clift

Re: problems on solaris 7

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Peter Lauko writes:

> regression test fails at 2 points
> abstime              ... FAILED

This is okay.  The regression test contains a Y2001 bug so to speak.
Nothing to worry about.

> random               ... failed (ignored)

This is okay as well.

Re: problems on solaris 7

Date:
Peter Lauko <laox@freemail.hu> writes:
> only one thing:
> regression test fails at 2 points
> abstime              ... FAILED
> random               ... failed (ignored)

These are non-issues.  See the archives...

            regards, tom lane

Re: problems on solaris 7

From
Justin Clift
Date:
Whoa,

Sorry. Bad memory.  Wrong way around.  It's *supposed* to use TCP
instead of Unix Domain Sockets.

My apologies.

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

Peter Lauko wrote:

> Hi!
> Well, you write just the opposite in installation guide:
>
> "19. Run the regression tests to make sure the compilation worked
> Firstly though you'll need to edit the src/test/regress/pg_regress.sh script to use TCP instead of UNIX domain
sockets
> $ cd src/test/regress
> $ sed "s/beos/beos\* | \*solaris/" pg_regress.sh > pg_regress.tmp
> $ mv pg_regress.tmp pg_regress.sh
> $ cd ../../..
> $ make check"
>
> I've done this, so that pg_regress.sh looks this way:
>
> case $host_platform in
>     *-*-qnx* | *beos* | *solaris*)
>         unix_sockets=no;;
>     *)
>         unix_sockets=yes;;
> esac
>
> It seems that I use tcp. So, which one is the good one?
> bye, Peter
>
> Justin Clift <justin@postgresql.org> wrote:
>
> > Ouch...
> >
> > Did you definitely make sure it was doing the test with Unix Domain
> > Sockets instead of via TCP (it's a search and replace, as per that
> > Installation Guide)?  If so, then the test results are accurate and it
> > could be a problem.
> >
> > Regards and best wishes,
> >
> > Justin Clift

   - Indira Gandhi