minimum hardware for Postgresql Install

From
Michael
Date:
Whats the minimum hardware anyone has installed Postgresql on ?
Someone is thowing out some old pc's and thought I might make use of
one.

Re: minimum hardware for Postgresql Install

From
Frank Joerdens
Date:
On Tue, Aug 07, 2001 at 08:25:49PM +1000, Michael wrote:
> Whats the minimum hardware anyone has installed Postgresql on ?
> Someone is thowing out some old pc's and thought I might make use of
> one.

I tried once to compile some 6.x.x version of Postgresql on a 486SX with
33 Mhz and 8 MB RAM. This was a little too painful I thought to be
considered OK. Anything better than that (more RAM in particular) should
work though (my experience). A 486DX 66 with 16 MB worked fine for me.

Regards, Frank

Re: minimum hardware for Postgresql Install

From
Einar Karttunen
Date:
On Tue, 7 Aug 2001, Frank Joerdens wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 07, 2001 at 08:25:49PM +1000, Michael wrote:
> > Whats the minimum hardware anyone has installed Postgresql on ?
> > Someone is thowing out some old pc's and thought I might make use of
> > one.
>
> I tried once to compile some 6.x.x version of Postgresql on a 486SX with
> 33 Mhz and 8 MB RAM. This was a little too painful I thought to be
> considered OK. Anything better than that (more RAM in particular) should
> work though (my experience). A 486DX 66 with 16 MB worked fine for me.

You should probably compile it with a better machine, then you can run it
in your low-end machine. Remember to specify the correct machine-type
flags for gcc.

- Einar Karttunen

Date:
On Tue, Aug 07, 2001 at 01:48:40PM +0300, Einar Karttunen wrote:
> On Tue, 7 Aug 2001, Frank Joerdens wrote:
> > On Tue, Aug 07, 2001 at 08:25:49PM +1000, Michael wrote:
> > > Whats the minimum hardware anyone has installed Postgresql on ?
> > > Someone is thowing out some old pc's and thought I might make use of
> > > one.
> >
> > I tried once to compile some 6.x.x version of Postgresql on a 486SX with
> > 33 Mhz and 8 MB RAM. This was a little too painful I thought to be
> > considered OK. Anything better than that (more RAM in particular) should
> > work though (my experience). A 486DX 66 with 16 MB worked fine for me.
> >
> You should probably compile it with a better machine, then you can run it
> in your low-end machine. Remember to specify the correct machine-type
> flags for gcc.

True.

Re: minimum hardware for Postgresql Install

From
wsheldah@lexmark.com

I've managed to compile and install it successfully on a P90 with 96MB of RAM.

Michael <mwaples%waples.net@interlock.lexmark.com> on 08/07/2001 06:25:49 AM

To:   pgsql-general%postgresql.org@interlock.lexmark.com
cc:    (bcc: Wesley Sheldahl/Lex/Lexmark)
Subject:  [GENERAL] minimum hardware for Postgresql Install

http://www.postgresql.org/search.mpl

Re: minimum hardware for Postgresql Install

From
martin.chantler@convergys.com
Date:
Using RPM's I managed to run it on a very slow 486
I think it was 25mhz
The bigger problem is actually installing Linux and getting obsolete memory
if you need more
It's perfectly feasible if your data is not too big

MC.

--

NOTICE:  The information contained in this electronic mail transmission is
intended by Convergys Corporation for the use of the named individual or

Re: minimum hardware for Postgresql Install

From
Mathieu Arnold

Michael wrote:

> Whats the minimum hardware anyone has installed Postgresql on ?
> Someone is thowing out some old pc's and thought I might make use of
> one.

I have a 7.1 compiled and running on a sparc station 10 (not a super
sparc 10)

--
Mathieu Arnold

missive@frontiernet.net (Lee Harr)
Date:
On Tue, 7 Aug 2001 10:08:51 +0000 (UTC), Michael <mwaples@waples.net> wrote:
> Whats the minimum hardware anyone has installed Postgresql on ?
> Someone is thowing out some old pc's and thought I might make use of
> one.

I have a system in production on a 486SX and 24MB RAM (FreeBSD).
More memory is always helpful.

Watch out on FreeBSD if you do get one of these 486s with no FPU.
You will need to recompile the kernel to use the GNU_MATH_EMULATE
as the one in the GENERIC kernel caused postgres to crash.

Re: minimum hardware for Postgresql Install

From
Nils Zonneveld

Michael wrote:

> Whats the minimum hardware anyone has installed Postgresql on ?
> Someone is thowing out some old pc's and thought I might make use of
> one.

I'm running PostgreSQL 7.1.2. on a very ancient Pentium 120 Mhz with 64
Mb RAM and it's running just fine. Though I have to admit that building
in a new SCSI hard disk in stead of the old IDE harddisk boosted
performance. I thought that PostgreSQL runs even with as little as 32 Mb
RAM in the system, though you have to pay a performance price for that.

Regards,

Nils

--
Alles van waarde is weerloos
Lucebert

OpenLDAP - Postgresql HOWTO

From
Gilles DAROLD
Date:
Hi all,

Some of you dream of that, I just had nigthmare with that :-) So it's the first
draft of
the OpenLDAP/PostgreSQL HOWTO and it is available at the following URI:

    http://www.samse.fr/GPL/

It was really hard to have it work but nothing impossible, I just write the howto

so there probably some miss or fault. I will review it in some days after a
submit
to the OpenLDAP team to have some patch integration. This howto will also be
submitted to the LDP.

Justin I think you can update your buggy link :-)

Re: Re: minimum hardware for Postgresql Install

From
"Mr. Shannon Aldinger"
Date:
On Tue, 7 Aug 2001, Nils Zonneveld wrote:

> I'm running PostgreSQL 7.1.2. on a very ancient Pentium 120 Mhz with 64
> Mb RAM and it's running just fine. Though I have to admit that building
> in a new SCSI hard disk in stead of the old IDE harddisk boosted
> performance. I thought that PostgreSQL runs even with as little as 32 Mb
> RAM in the system, though you have to pay a performance price for that.

I have 7.1.2 running on a 486/33 board with a Pentium/83 OD and 32mb ram.
It performs it's limited duties quite well considering the hardware behind
it.

Re: OpenLDAP - Postgresql HOWTO

From
Justin Clift
Date:
Hi Gilles,

That's cool.  Was hoping you'd figure it out!

Just updated the buggy link to point to your new HOWTO :

http://techdocs.postgresql.org/oresources.php#ldap

:-)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

Gilles DAROLD wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Some of you dream of that, I just had nigthmare with that :-) So it's the first
> draft of
> the OpenLDAP/PostgreSQL HOWTO and it is available at the following URI:
>
>     http://www.samse.fr/GPL/
>
> It was really hard to have it work but nothing impossible, I just write the howto
>
> so there probably some miss or fault. I will review it in some days after a
> submit
> to the OpenLDAP team to have some patch integration. This howto will also be
> submitted to the LDP.
>
> Justin I think you can update your buggy link :-)

   - Indira Gandhi

New RPMS ?

From
Fernando Lozano
Date:
Hi there!

Are there plans for 7.1.3 RPMS for Red Hat 6.2 and other systems using
the older glibc and rpm format?

[]s, Fernando Lozano

Re: New RPMS ?

From
teg@redhat.com (Trond Eivind Glomsrød)
Date:
Fernando Lozano <fsl@centroin.com.br> writes:

> Are there plans for 7.1.3 RPMS for Red Hat 6.2 and other systems using
> the older glibc and rpm format?

FWIW, while a version for RHL 6.2 makes sense because of glibc issues
(and other libraries), the supported rpm format for RHL 6.2 is v4.
Erratas (you have applied those, right? ;) also come in that format.

--
Trond Eivind Glomsrød
Red Hat, Inc.

Re: New RPMS ?

From
Lamar Owen
Date:
On Sunday 19 August 2001 22:10, Fernando Lozano wrote:
> Are there plans for 7.1.3 RPMS for Red Hat 6.2 and other systems using
> the older glibc and rpm format?

Yes, once I have enough hard drives to have another system image installed.
Due to several other issues, I won't be using either a VMware or similar
system, nor do I dual-boot multiple distributions.  I prefer having about a
3GB drive for just development -- and I currently do not have a Red Hat 6.2
system installed.

You certainly ARE welcome to install RPM 3.0.5 or above on your own RH 6.2
box and rebuild the source RPM -- but I cannot at present do that.

And, once a Red Hat 7.2, or 8.0, or whatever Red Hat comes out with next
materializes, I will likely migrate my servers to it as well.

My apologies.
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio

Re: New RPMS ?

From
Fernando Lozano
Date:
Hi Trond,

> > Are there plans for 7.1.3 RPMS for Red Hat 6.2 and other systems using
> > the older glibc and rpm format?
>
> FWIW, while a version for RHL 6.2 makes sense because of glibc issues
> (and other libraries), the supported rpm format for RHL 6.2 is v4.
> Erratas (you have applied those, right? ;) also come in that format.

I have not aplied those. I don't know what I did wrong, but I broke two
systems (had to reinstall) when trying to update the rpm subsystem. But
that's my fault, I'll solve this eventually.

I'd like to have updated rpms for 6.2 for a number of packages and I
wonder if Red Hat or someone else will provide these or not. I am not
talking just about PostgreSQL now. It is not nice to provide support for
a number of customers without Unix and Linux culture and having to
recompile everything from sources. :-(

[]s, Fernando Lozano