Books on PostgreSQL?

From
"Alessandro Bottoni"
Date:
Does anybody know either one of these books?

PostgreSQL
By Jeff Perkins
Published by Prima Publishing
ISBN: 0761524444

PosgreSQL programmer's guide
by Thomas Lockhart
Published by iUniverse.com
ISBN: 0595149170

Can anybody give me his/her opinion on them?

Any other suggestion for a good book on PostgreSQL's System Administration
and/or programming?
(of course, I already have the Momjian's one)

Many thanks in advance

--------------------
Alessandro Bottoni
Quadrante SRL
Piazza Galileo, 6
40100 Bologna (Italy)
www.quadrante.com
--------------------

Re: Books on PostgreSQL?

From
"markus jais"
Date:
"Alessandro Bottoni" <abottoni@quadrante.com> schrieb am
27.06.01:
> Does anybody know either one of these books?
>
> PostgreSQL
> By Jeff Perkins
> Published by Prima Publishing
> ISBN: 0761524444
>
> PosgreSQL programmer's guide
> by Thomas Lockhart
> Published by iUniverse.com
> ISBN: 0595149170

hi,
do not know these two books.
the programmers guide should be available online
at www.postgresql.org

AFAIK are no more books on postgresql published right
now.
but wrox is working on a book called "beginning
databases with postgresql", available august
(see www.wrox.com - link "future titles")

and oreily told me, that they are working on
a postgresql book too, available according to
oreily germany in october 2001

hope this was helpful

markus

> Can anybody give me his/her opinion on them?
>
> Any other suggestion for a good book on PostgreSQL's System
Administration
> and/or programming?
> (of course, I already have the Momjian's one)
>
> Many thanks in advance
>
> --------------------
> Alessandro Bottoni
> Quadrante SRL
> Piazza Galileo, 6
> 40100 Bologna (Italy)
> www.quadrante.com
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/search.mpl

Ferienklick.de - Jede Menge Urlaub auf einen Blick!
Hier geht's zu Ihrem Traumstrand: http://ferienklick.de/?PP=2-0-100-105-1

Re: Books on PostgreSQL?

From
"Ian Harding"
Date:
I just got my copy of the programmers guide yesterday.  It is a printed copy of the document of the same name available
online. It is worth the money because you can read it in the bathroom, and because hopefully Thomas Lochart (sic) gets
somemoney.  I found myself being frustrated looking at a flashing screen when looking for information, but find a real
bookto be easier to use.  It is already a little out of date, but that is a fact of life with printed materials.

Ian A. Harding
Programmer/Analyst II
Tacoma-Pierce County Health Department
(253) 798-3549
mailto: ianh@tpchd.org

>>> "Alessandro Bottoni" <abottoni@quadrante.com> 06/27/01 03:05AM >>>
Does anybody know either one of these books?

PostgreSQL
By Jeff Perkins
Published by Prima Publishing
ISBN: 0761524444

PosgreSQL programmer's guide
by Thomas Lockhart
Published by iUniverse.com
ISBN: 0595149170

Can anybody give me his/her opinion on them?

Any other suggestion for a good book on PostgreSQL's System Administration
and/or programming?
(of course, I already have the Momjian's one)

Many thanks in advance

--------------------
Alessandro Bottoni
Quadrante SRL
Piazza Galileo, 6
40100 Bologna (Italy)
www.quadrante.com

http://www.postgresql.org/search.mpl

Re: Books on PostgreSQL?

From
Tony Grant
Date:
Ian Harding wrote:

> I just got my copy of the programmers guide yesterday.

> It is a printed copy of the document of the same name available online.

> It is worth the money because you can read it in the bathroom, and because

> hopefully Thomas Lochart (sic) gets some money.  I found myself being

> frustrated looking at a flashing screen when looking for information, but

> find a real book to be easier to use.  It is already a little out of date,

> but that is a fact of life with printed materials.

I have a Sony Vaio Picturebook... I hope that this does not discourage
any writers but at 1 kg it is the weight of a book and yes you can take
it to the loo (english for bathroom, bog...).

For reading e-books a tool to rotate the screen would be nice. The
e-book reader for windows does it. I'll have to read the XFree docs to
see if my neomagic card does this in X too.

I will have Acrobat 5 in the next few days. If you are interested maybe
it would be worth while to convert the .ps docs to e-book format?

Off home - temperature is back up over 30° again so time for a beer or two.

Cheers

Tony Grant

--
RedHat Linux on Sony Vaio C1XD/S