ODBC, ssl, problems with.

From
Dariusz Pietrzak
Date:
Hello,
 I am having some problems with ODBC, namely - I can't find documentation
about it ( it  meaning ODBC driver for postgres ).
 I am seeking SSL enabled driver for postgres ( running ssh tunnel
involves installing cygwin on every client machine, hmm, maybe putty's
plink would help. Anyone using such solution ? )
 I seek more documentation about beforementioned driver because I don't
know what some of the options do and how are they usefull,
for example -
 what is row versioning?
It adds 'xmin' column to all my tables, and then Access becomes unable to
modify 'row versioned' tables because postgres complains about
incompatibility between 'xid' and 'int4' types. (xmin presumably being xid
type ).
 Show oid shows oids, but what are they usefull for? and what does 'fake
index' mean ? Show oids option is also dangerous because it adds column
before not after any columns, thus forcing changes to application
expecting something at given column.

cheers,
--
Dariusz Pietrzak
Certified Nobody

Re: ODBC, ssl, problems with.

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:

http://www.de.postgresql.org/users-lounge/docs/7.1/postgres/odbc.html

>  I am seeking SSL enabled driver for postgres

I don't think that exists.

>  what is row versioning?
> It adds 'xmin' column to all my tables, and then Access becomes unable to
> modify 'row versioned' tables because postgres complains about
> incompatibility between 'xid' and 'int4' types. (xmin presumably being xid
> type ).

The xmin column does exist in all PostgreSQL tables.  Presumably this
option merely makes it show.  I don't think this is useful for general
use.

>  Show oid shows oids, but what are they usefull for?

If you don't use them then they're not useful for you.

> Show oids option is also dangerous because it adds column
> before not after any columns, thus forcing changes to application
> expecting something at given column.

If your application is coded like that then you should evidently not use
the show oids option.

Re: ODBC, ssl, problems with.

From
Dariusz Pietrzak
Date:
> http://www.de.postgresql.org/users-lounge/docs/7.1/postgres/odbc.html
There are docs for ODBC driver for *nix, I need to access my pg from
windoze.
Anyhow, I'll switch to pgsql-odbc, sorry for polluting this list.

> I don't think that exists.
Pity, so I have to write one myself?
 anyone coded ssl on windoze platforms?

--
Dariusz Pietrzak
Certified Nobody

Re: ODBC, ssl, problems with.

From
Lincoln Yeoh
Date:
At 02:08 PM 6/16/01 +0200, Dariusz Pietrzak wrote:
>Hello,

> I am seeking SSL enabled driver for postgres ( running ssh tunnel
>involves installing cygwin on every client machine, hmm, maybe putty's

You might want to try stunnel. www.stunnel.org.

Works on Windows too.

And example setup:

Server
service listening on 127.0.0.1:port

stunnel server mode listening on <Server interface>:<some other port>
connecting to 127.0.0.1:port

SSL connection

stunnel client mode listening on 127.0.0.1:port2 connecting to <Server
interface>:<some other port>.

actual client connecting to 127.0.0.1:port2

Hope that helps.

I remote admin my firewalls that way. I personally don't trust SSH - took a
brief look at it a couple of years ago and got the impression that features
were slapped on, and there would be many security problems. So far I
haven't regretted my decision.

Cheerio,
Link.

Re: ODBC, ssl, problems with.

From
Dariusz Pietrzak
Date:
> You might want to try stunnel. www.stunnel.org.
Thnx, good idea. Generally I wanted to avoid having to use tunneling and
have native ssl odbc driver. But that would be good enough.

--
Dariusz Pietrzak
Certified Nobody