Spliting a table/databases between several disks ?

From
Bo Lorentsen
Date:
Hi ...

I have been planning using the PostgreSQL database using a somhow large
database (and therefor some large tables). While doing this i really
like to know if it is possible to split data in a database og even a
table between several disks ?

I have tried to look into this problem, and it looks like it is possible
to make several databases using different locations, but as I can see it
It is not possible to use databases together.

It would be --- Hmmm, funny to be able to fx. enherit a table from one
database to another, as this could help.

I hope I'm not too much off track.

Regards

/BL

Re: Spliting a table/databases between several disks ?

From
Feite Brekeveld
Date:
Bo Lorentsen wrote:

> Hi ...
>
> I have been planning using the PostgreSQL database using a somhow large
> database (and therefor some large tables). While doing this i really
> like to know if it is possible to split data in a database og even a
> table between several disks ?

If you have databases that large that they don't fit on a single disk
(nowdays 75 Gb !) you definitely should consider to look for a RAID level 5
solution. For instance using 7 disks of which 2 hot-spares. With the 75 G
disks you would get to about 350 G diskspace which is logically seen as one
partition.

> I have tried to look into this problem, and it looks like it is possible
> to make several databases using different locations, but as I can see it
> It is not possible to use databases together.
>
> It would be --- Hmmm, funny to be able to fx. enherit a table from one
> database to another, as this could help.
>
> I hope I'm not too much off track.
>
> Regards
>
> /BL

Feite Brekeveld
feite.brekeveld@osiris-it.nl

Date:
Feite Brekeveld wrote:

> If you have databases that large that they don't fit on a single disk
> (nowdays 75 Gb !) you definitely should consider to look for a RAID level 5
> solution. For instance using 7 disks of which 2 hot-spares. With the 75 G
> disks you would get to about 350 G diskspace which is logically seen as one
> partition.

It was not alone a question of size, but also a question about performance. If
I could split up my database on table level, I could ballance the performace
between offen used tabels.

Ok, it would also be nice to be able to have somehow large tables, and even
swap these in and out too (for backup). But I think this is a little to much
to ask for  :-)

But thanks anyway, I am looking at software RAID anyway, so I'll just continue
in this track.

/BL