Re: Spliting a table/databases between several disks ? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bo Lorentsen
Subject Re: Spliting a table/databases between several disks ?
Date
List pgsql-general
Feite Brekeveld wrote:

> If you have databases that large that they don't fit on a single disk
> (nowdays 75 Gb !) you definitely should consider to look for a RAID level 5
> solution. For instance using 7 disks of which 2 hot-spares. With the 75 G
> disks you would get to about 350 G diskspace which is logically seen as one
> partition.

It was not alone a question of size, but also a question about performance. If
I could split up my database on table level, I could ballance the performace
between offen used tabels.

Ok, it would also be nice to be able to have somehow large tables, and even
swap these in and out too (for backup). But I think this is a little to much
to ask for  :-)

But thanks anyway, I am looking at software RAID anyway, so I'll just continue
in this track.

/BL