I am now Linux and PostgreSQL user, have a question

From
"Isiah Thomas"
Date:
I am new user of linux.  and I am interested in Postgresql

recently I download ver7.1 and setup
I do it step by step according some docunment in www.Linuxfab.cx

the docunment I read is in below link

http://linuxfab.cx/indexBookData.php?BID=5&G1=5&G2=2&G3=0&G4=0&PAGEID=1

The problem I got is as below:

P.S.  the super user "postgres" is added by myself

[root@vtl /root]# su - postgres
[postgres@vtl postgres]$ /usr/local/pgsql/bin/initdb -D /usr/loca/pgsql/data
This database system will be initialized with username "postgres".
This user will own all the data files and must also own the server process.

Creating directory /usr/loca/pgsql/data
mkdir: cannot create directory `/usr/loca/pgsql/data': No such file or
directory
initdb failed.
Removing temp file /tmp/initdb.11893.
[postgres@vtl postgres]$ /usr/local/pgsql/bin/initdb -D
/usr/local/pgsql/data
This database system will be initialized with username "postgres".
This user will own all the data files and must also own the server process.

Fixing permissions on existing directory /usr/local/pgsql/data
Creating directory /usr/local/pgsql/data/base
Creating directory /usr/local/pgsql/data/global
Creating directory /usr/local/pgsql/data/pg_xlog
Creating template1 database in /usr/local/pgsql/data/base/1
DEBUG:  database system was shut down at 2001-04-25 10:37:03 HKT
DEBUG:  CheckPoint record at (0, 8)
DEBUG:  Redo record at (0, 8); Undo record at (0, 8); Shutdown TRUE
DEBUG:  NextTransactionId: 514; NextOid: 16384
DEBUG:  database system is in production state
Creating global relations in /usr/local/pgsql/data/global
DEBUG:  database system was shut down at 2001-04-25 10:37:10 HKT
DEBUG:  CheckPoint record at (0, 108)
DEBUG:  Redo record at (0, 108); Undo record at (0, 0); Shutdown TRUE
DEBUG:  NextTransactionId: 514; NextOid: 17199
DEBUG:  database system is in production state
Initializing pg_shadow.
Enabling unlimited row width for system tables.
Creating system views.
Setting lastsysoid.
Vacuuming database.
Copying template1 to template0.

Success. You can now start the database server using:

/usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster -D /usr/local/pgsql/data
[postgres@vtl postgres]$ /usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster -D
/usr/local/pgsql/data
\DEBUG:  database system was shut down at 2001-04-25 10:48:00 HKT
DEBUG:  CheckPoint record at (0, 1522124)
DEBUG:  Redo record at (0, 1522124); Undo record at (0, 0); Shutdown TRUE
DEBUG:  NextTransactionId: 615; NextOid: 18720
DEBUG:  database system is in production state

the process stoped here, not more action. Can anybody tell me what's wrong?

Re: I am now Linux and PostgreSQL user, have a question

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Isiah Thomas writes:

> /usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster -D /usr/local/pgsql/data
> [postgres@vtl postgres]$ /usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster -D
> /usr/local/pgsql/data
> \DEBUG:  database system was shut down at 2001-04-25 10:48:00 HKT
> DEBUG:  CheckPoint record at (0, 1522124)
> DEBUG:  Redo record at (0, 1522124); Undo record at (0, 0); Shutdown TRUE
> DEBUG:  NextTransactionId: 615; NextOid: 18720
> DEBUG:  database system is in production state

> the process stoped here, not more action. Can anybody tell me what's wrong?

It didn't stop, it's waiting for requests from your client applications.

What you probably want to do is start the server (postmaster) in the
background.  Check the Administrator's Guide and the pg_ctl program for
more information.

Re: I am now Linux and PostgreSQL user, have a question

From
Michelle Murrain
Date:
On Thursday 26 April 2001 05:41 am, Isiah Thomas wrote:

> [root@vtl /root]# su - postgres
> [postgres@vtl postgres]$ /usr/local/pgsql/bin/initdb -D usr/loca/pgsql/data

Dreaded typo issue - you typed in "usr/loca/pgsql/data"
                                                       ^^^^^^^^

Michelle
------------
Michelle Murrain, Ph.D.
President
Norwottuck Technology Resources
mpm@norwottuck.com
http://www.norwottuck.com

Re: I am now Linux and PostgreSQL user, have a question

From
"Isiah Thomas"
Date:
I read some docunment say that to start the postgres service must type this
command

/etc/rc.d/init.d/postgres start

but I do have not that file.  do I missing something??

in other way,  my I do any other thing in service side?  it is because after
showing "DEBUG:  database system is in production state", I am not at
'postgres @ vtl>'mode, so, I cannot type any command.

"Peter Eisentraut" <peter_e@gmx.net> wrote in message
> Isiah Thomas writes:
>
> > /usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster -D /usr/local/pgsql/data
> > [postgres@vtl postgres]$ /usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster -D
> > /usr/local/pgsql/data
> > \DEBUG:  database system was shut down at 2001-04-25 10:48:00 HKT
> > DEBUG:  CheckPoint record at (0, 1522124)
> > DEBUG:  Redo record at (0, 1522124); Undo record at (0, 0); Shutdown
TRUE
> > DEBUG:  NextTransactionId: 615; NextOid: 18720
> > DEBUG:  database system is in production state
>
> > the process stoped here, not more action. Can anybody tell me what's
wrong?

> It didn't stop, it's waiting for requests from your client applications.
>
> What you probably want to do is start the server (postmaster) in the
> background.  Check the Administrator's Guide and the pg_ctl program for
> more information.
>
> --
> Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net   http://funkturm.homeip.net/~peter

Re: I am now Linux and PostgreSQL user, have a question

From
Joel Burton
Date:
On Fri, 27 Apr 2001, Isiah Thomas wrote:

> I read some docunment say that to start the postgres service must type this
> command
>
> /etc/rc.d/init.d/postgres start

That's pretty specific to RedHat and RedHat-derived systems. (And then,
only if you install PostgreSQL from the RPMs, which if you're using
RedHat, you probably are).

A less distribution-specific way of saying the same thing is

$ service postgres start

But, really, you probably want to do something like

$ pg_ctl

--
Joel Burton   <jburton@scw.org>

Re: Re: I am now Linux and PostgreSQL user, have a question

From
Steve Wampler
Date:
Joel Burton wrote:

> On Fri, 27 Apr 2001, Isiah Thomas wrote:
>
> > I read some docunment say that to start the postgres service must type this
> > command
> >
> > /etc/rc.d/init.d/postgres start
>
> That's pretty specific to RedHat and RedHat-derived systems. (And then,
> only if you install PostgreSQL from the RPMs, which if you're using
> RedHat, you probably are).

Plus, the file is /etc/rc.d/init.d/postgresql under RedHat (at least
from the rpm-build.)
--
Steve Wampler-  SOLIS Project, National Solar Observatory
swampler@noao.edu