Re: I am now Linux and PostgreSQL user, have a question - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: I am now Linux and PostgreSQL user, have a question
Date
List pgsql-general
Isiah Thomas writes:

> /usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster -D /usr/local/pgsql/data
> [postgres@vtl postgres]$ /usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster -D
> /usr/local/pgsql/data
> \DEBUG:  database system was shut down at 2001-04-25 10:48:00 HKT
> DEBUG:  CheckPoint record at (0, 1522124)
> DEBUG:  Redo record at (0, 1522124); Undo record at (0, 0); Shutdown TRUE
> DEBUG:  NextTransactionId: 615; NextOid: 18720
> DEBUG:  database system is in production state

> the process stoped here, not more action. Can anybody tell me what's wrong?

It didn't stop, it's waiting for requests from your client applications.

What you probably want to do is start the server (postmaster) in the
background.  Check the Administrator's Guide and the pg_ctl program for
more information.