HOWTO for pg 7.1 installation from cvs

From
Bill Barnes
Hello All:

I lost it.  Printed it, used it, trashed it.

There was recently a very well done procedure for
compiling postgres 7.1 from cvs posted to one of the
lists.

I have scanned every list starting in January and
cannot turn it up.  Also tried Google, again to no
avail.

If anyone knows a URL or has a copy or has another
write-up, I will appreciate your information.

TIA,
-Bill

http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/

Re: HOWTO for pg 7.1 installation from cvs

From
newsreader@mediaone.net
Date:
me too, me too.  I'm dying to
give 7.1 a spin.

On Fri, Mar 23, 2001 at 12:09:56PM -0800, Bill Barnes wrote:

> Hello All:
>
> I lost it.  Printed it, used it, trashed it.
>
> There was recently a very well done procedure for
> compiling postgres 7.1 from cvs posted to one of the
> lists.
>
> I have scanned every list starting in January and
> cannot turn it up.  Also tried Google, again to no
> avail.
>
> If anyone knows a URL or has a copy or has another
> write-up, I will appreciate your information.
>
> TIA,
> -Bill

> http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/

Re: HOWTO for pg 7.1 installation from cvs

From
Ron Peterson
Date:
newsreader@mediaone.net wrote:

> me too, me too.  I'm dying to
> give 7.1 a spin.

You don't need to use CVS to get it.  Just go the FTP site, or better
yet, a mirror.

-Ron-
GPG and other info at: http://www.yellowbank.com/

Re: HOWTO for pg 7.1 installation from cvs

From
Bill Barnes
Date:
Well, this wasn't the posting I had in mind, but it's
even better.  Didn't know that 7.1 was so well
documented.  Thanks, Developers.

For anyone else's benefits here's the URL for the CVS
fetch.

http://www.postgresql.org/devel-corner/docs/postgres/cvs.html

And here's the URL for the installation procedure.

http://www.postgresql.org/devel-corner/docs/postgres/install-procedure.html

I' m still in trouble, however.

Install in Mandrake 7.2 gives me an error message:
In file included from pgtkAppInit.c:15:
/usr/include/tk.h:83:  X11/Xlib.h: No such file or
directory

A search thru Google turns up only a bunch of postings
asking where Xlib.h is.

Install in Debian 2.2 gives me an error message:
tclConfig.sh is required for Tcl

Debian does, however, have X11/Xlib.h

Thanks for your help.
-Bill

> Hello All:
>
> I lost it.  Printed it, used it, trashed it.
>
> There was recently a very well done procedure for
> compiling postgres 7.1 from cvs posted to one of the

> lists.
http://www.postgresql.org/devel-corner/docs/postgres/cvs.html

http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/

Re: Re: HOWTO for pg 7.1 installation from cvs

Date:
Bill Barnes <kgbsoft@yahoo.com> writes:
> Install in Mandrake 7.2 gives me an error message:
> In file included from pgtkAppInit.c:15:
> /usr/include/tk.h:83:  X11/Xlib.h: No such file or
> directory

I'd guess that that file is available in some X-programming devel RPM or
other.  Possibly you could determine which one from the RPM database
on your Debian box.

> Install in Debian 2.2 gives me an error message:
> tclConfig.sh is required for Tcl

No tcl installed here?  If it is, where is it hiding tclConfig.sh?

            regards, tom lane