create user, user exists

From
Ron Peterson
Date:
I'm having a bit of authentication trouble.  I'm trying to use 'crypt'
authentication.  PostgreSQL 7.1beta5.  My pg_hba.conf is as follows:

#local all trust
local all crypt passtest

When I do 'local all trust', everything works fine.  When I invert the
comment, it doesn't.

I created file passtest using pg_passwd, with the following
ownerships/permissions.  I've recreated it several times, to make sure
I didn't make a typo when I entered the password.

-rw-rw-r--    1 postgres postgres       43 Mar 16 12:38 passtest

1006$ psql -d rpeterso -U rpeterso -W
Password:
Welcome to psql, the PostgreSQL interactive terminal.

(switch to 'local all crypt passtest')

rpeterso@pagoda ~
1007$ psql -d rpeterso -U rpeterso -W
Password:
psql: Password authentication failed for user 'rpeterso'

Am I missing something?

-Ron-
GPG and other info at: http://www.yellowbank.com/

Re: create user, user exists

From
Ron Peterson
Date:
If I do

alter user rpeterso with password 'thepassword';

Things start working.  So it's as if the [AUTH_ARGUMENT] is being ignored.
Has this been depricated?

-Ron-

On Fri, 16 Mar 2001, Ron Peterson wrote:

> I'm having a bit of authentication trouble.  I'm trying to use 'crypt'
> authentication.  PostgreSQL 7.1beta5.  My pg_hba.conf is as follows:
>
> #local all trust
> local all crypt passtest
>
> When I do 'local all trust', everything works fine.  When I invert the
> comment, it doesn't.
>
> I created file passtest using pg_passwd, with the following
> ownerships/permissions.  I've recreated it several times, to make sure
> I didn't make a typo when I entered the password.
>
> -rw-rw-r--    1 postgres postgres       43 Mar 16 12:38 passtest
>
> 1006$ psql -d rpeterso -U rpeterso -W
> Password:
> Welcome to psql, the PostgreSQL interactive terminal.
>
> (switch to 'local all crypt passtest')
>
> rpeterso@pagoda ~
> 1007$ psql -d rpeterso -U rpeterso -W
> Password:
> psql: Password authentication failed for user 'rpeterso'
>
> Am I missing something?
>
> -Ron-
> GPG and other info at: http://www.yellowbank.com/

Re: Re: create user, user exists

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:

http://www.postgresql.org/devel-corner/docs/postgres/auth-methods.html#AEN13196

Date:
Ron Peterson <ron.peterson@yellowbank.com> writes:
> I'm having a bit of authentication trouble.  I'm trying to use 'crypt'
> authentication.  PostgreSQL 7.1beta5.  My pg_hba.conf is as follows:

IIRC, you can't use crypt with a flat password file, you have to use
plain passwd authentication.  (On a local connection there's not much
point in crypt anyway...)

BTW, it may help to look in the postmaster log; for many authentication
failures, the error message sent to the client is deliberately not
telling all.  The message recorded in the log may have additional
details.

            regards, tom lane

Re: create user, user exists

From
"Richard Huxton"
From: "Ron Peterson" <ron.peterson@yellowbank.com>

> I'm having a bit of authentication trouble.  I'm trying to use 'crypt'
> authentication.  PostgreSQL 7.1beta5.  My pg_hba.conf is as follows:
>
> #local all trust
> local all crypt passtest
>
> When I do 'local all trust', everything works fine.  When I invert the
> comment, it doesn't.
>

> Am I missing something?

Don't think so - I'm still on 7.1b3 and I get the same result. If I change
crypt to password everything is fine. For "local" it shouldn't make much
difference. Haven't had time to test it over a network.

- Richard Huxton

Re: create user, user exists

From
Ron Peterson
Tom Lane wrote:

> Ron Peterson <ron.peterson@yellowbank.com> writes:
> > I'm having a bit of authentication trouble.  I'm trying to use 'crypt'
> > authentication.  PostgreSQL 7.1beta5.  My pg_hba.conf is as follows:
>
> IIRC, you can't use crypt with a flat password file, you have to use
> plain passwd authentication.  (On a local connection there's not much
> point in crypt anyway...)
>
> BTW, it may help to look in the postmaster log; for many authentication
> failures, the error message sent to the client is deliberately not
> telling all.  The message recorded in the log may have additional
> details.

I misunderstood the difference between 'crypt' and 'password'.  I
thought they both did a flat password file, and 'crypt' crypted the
passwords, and 'password' didn't.  Instead, 'crypt' encrypts passwords
sent over the wire, and 'password' authenticates against a flat
(crypted) password file, rather than pg_shadow.

So local+crypt doesn't make a lot of sense, obviously.

So now I'm trying to decide whether I want to use 'password' or
pg_shadow for user authentication.  Using 'password' seems like a broad
(and easily managed) brush, while using groups would give me a finer
degree of control over permission settings.  I'm using ssl for my remote
connections, so the whole 'crypt' thing is irrelevant.

Date:
Ron Peterson writes:

> So now I'm trying to decide whether I want to use 'password' or
> pg_shadow for user authentication.  Using 'password' seems like a broad
> (and easily managed) brush, while using groups would give me a finer
> degree of control over permission settings.

The ability to use groups has nothing to do with the authentication method
used.