Re: create user, user exists - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: create user, user exists
Date
List pgsql-general
Ron Peterson <ron.peterson@yellowbank.com> writes:
> I'm having a bit of authentication trouble.  I'm trying to use 'crypt'
> authentication.  PostgreSQL 7.1beta5.  My pg_hba.conf is as follows:

IIRC, you can't use crypt with a flat password file, you have to use
plain passwd authentication.  (On a local connection there's not much
point in crypt anyway...)

BTW, it may help to look in the postmaster log; for many authentication
failures, the error message sent to the client is deliberately not
telling all.  The message recorded in the log may have additional
details.

            regards, tom lane