Postgresql.org website search

From
Tim Frank
Date:
    I apologise if this has been posted/asked already, but since it has been
about a week and it hasn't been "fixed" I needed to ask.  Every time I
issue a search at http://www.postgresql.org/search.mpl even on the
easiest of search items, such as "postgres" I get a result of this, and
only this:

Search results: postgres : 33688

Displaying documents 0-0 of total 33688 found. (0.00 secs)

Now it still seems to take its sweet time to search so it seems like the
search is working, just no results are actually getting displayed.

Has anyone else noticed this? Does it just not like me?

Thanks.

Re: Postgresql.org website search

Date:
That search feature regularly breaks.  That's about all I can say.

>     I apologise if this has been posted/asked already, but since it has been
> about a week and it hasn't been "fixed" I needed to ask.  Every time I
> issue a search at http://www.postgresql.org/search.mpl even on the
> easiest of search items, such as "postgres" I get a result of this, and
> only this:
>
> Search results: postgres : 33688
>
> Displaying documents 0-0 of total 33688 found. (0.00 secs)
>
> Now it still seems to take its sweet time to search so it seems like the
> search is working, just no results are actually getting displayed.
>
> Has anyone else noticed this? Does it just not like me?
>
> Thanks.

> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

RE: Postgresql.org website search

From
"Sam and Lisa Snow"
Date:
Why could the site not use something like http://www.freefind.com/ to do
searches on the site?

Sam

That search feature regularly breaks.  That's about all I can say.

>     I apologise if this has been posted/asked already, but since it has been
> about a week and it hasn't been "fixed" I needed to ask.  Every time I
> issue a search at http://www.postgresql.org/search.mpl even on the
> easiest of search items, such as "postgres" I get a result of this, and
> only this:
>
> Search results: postgres : 33688
>
> Displaying documents 0-0 of total 33688 found. (0.00 secs)
>
> Now it still seems to take its sweet time to search so it seems like the
> search is working, just no results are actually getting displayed.
>
> Has anyone else noticed this? Does it just not like me?
>
> Thanks.

> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Shop online without a credit card
http://www.rocketcash.com
RocketCash, a NetZero subsidiary

Re: Postgresql.org website search

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Tim Frank writes:

>     I apologise if this has been posted/asked already, but since it has been
> about a week and it hasn't been "fixed" I needed to ask.  Every time I
> issue a search at http://www.postgresql.org/search.mpl even on the
> easiest of search items, such as "postgres" I get a result of this, and
> only this:
>
> Search results: postgres : 33688
>
> Displaying documents 0-0 of total 33688 found. (0.00 secs)

http://www.geocrawler.com/lists/3/Databases/

Memory requirments

From
"Simon Crute"
Date:
Hi all,
  I was wondering what the typical memory requirments were for the
postgresql server ?

Thanks.

Re: Memory requirments

From
"Poul L. Christiansen"
Date:
Hi

I don't think there is any typical memory requirment. People usually
give PostgreSQL a lot of memory to get better performance. Ideally the
amount of memory is the same as the amount of data your storing in your
database. This way PostgreSQL can cache all the data and never have to
read data from the disk.

But this scenario assumes that you have mostly SELECT queries.

You have to remember to set the -B flag on postmaster to set the
shared-memory size.

HTH,
Poul L. Christiansen

Simon Crute wrote:

> Hi all,
>   I was wondering what the typical memory requirments were for the
> postgresql server ?
>
> Thanks.

Re: Memory requirments

From
John Madden
Date:
> But this scenario assumes that you have mostly SELECT queries.
>
> You have to remember to set the -B flag on postmaster to set the
> shared-memory size.

Any recommended values for -B, assuming a mostly-SELECT environment?

John

--
# John Madden  weez@freelists.org ICQ: 2EB9EA
# Linux, Apache, Perl and C: All the best things in life are free!

Re: Memory requirments

From
"Poul L. Christiansen"
Date:
The -B value is a a multiple of BLCKSZ, which is 8KB by default.

I would recommend using all availabe memory if it's a PostgreSQL
standalone box.

If your box has 256MB memory set the -B value to 200MB/8KB = 25600. Then
the OS will have 56MB. For a well configured Linux box, this should be
enough.

Remember to adjust the maximum shared memory value. On my Redhat Linux
7.0 box the vale is set in /proc/sys/kernel/shmmax.

This question has emerged more than once. Shouldn't we put it in the
FAQ?

Poul L. Christiansen

John Madden wrote:

> > But this scenario assumes that you have mostly SELECT queries.
> >
> > You have to remember to set the -B flag on postmaster to set the
> > shared-memory size.
>
> Any recommended values for -B, assuming a mostly-SELECT environment?
>
> John
>
> --
> # John Madden  weez@freelists.org ICQ: 2EB9EA
> # Linux, Apache, Perl and C: All the best things in life are free!

Re: Postgresql.org website search

From
The Hermit Hacker
Date:
On Fri, 9 Mar 2001, Tim Frank wrote:

>     I apologise if this has been posted/asked already, but since it has been
> about a week and it hasn't been "fixed" I needed to ask.  Every time I
> issue a search at http://www.postgresql.org/search.mpl even on the
> easiest of search items, such as "postgres" I get a result of this, and
> only this:
>
> Search results: postgres : 33688
>
> Displaying documents 0-0 of total 33688 found. (0.00 secs)
>
> Now it still seems to take its sweet time to search so it seems like the
> search is working, just no results are actually getting displayed.
>
> Has anyone else noticed this? Does it just not like me?

Okay, this is odd ... I just tried the search functions under the mailing
lists themselves, and it returns proper results ...

Well, that would explain that ... the ones under the mailing lists are
using the old database, while the main one you are referencing is using
the new database ... schema hasn't changed, but will investigate and see
if I can figure it out :(

Re: Postgresql.org website search

From
The Hermit Hacker
Date:
fixed ... not sure exactly *why* it broke, but just installed the newest
perl interface at http://www.postgresql.org/search.mpl, did a searchon
'mvcc' and search came back in 5.9sec (result time is on the page and
appears to be accurate now) ...

the sub-page searches have to be updated to the new database next, but
this one should work now ...

please let me know if there are any further problems ...

Systems Administrator @ hub.org