Re: Memory requirments - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Poul L. Christiansen
Subject Re: Memory requirments
Date
List pgsql-general
The -B value is a a multiple of BLCKSZ, which is 8KB by default.

I would recommend using all availabe memory if it's a PostgreSQL
standalone box.

If your box has 256MB memory set the -B value to 200MB/8KB = 25600. Then
the OS will have 56MB. For a well configured Linux box, this should be
enough.

Remember to adjust the maximum shared memory value. On my Redhat Linux
7.0 box the vale is set in /proc/sys/kernel/shmmax.

This question has emerged more than once. Shouldn't we put it in the
FAQ?

Poul L. Christiansen