user/group creation privileges

From
"Martin A. Marques"
Date:
I have a special question.
I'm about to make a system that is going to have several users are going to load
data with a web interface. This users are gonna be on a special group that will
have privileges on the database.
Now, I want to have on (or more) users to be able to create new users, put them
in this group and give them privileges to modify the database structure (SELECT,
INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE).
How can I do this last part? I didn't find much on the GRANT manual.

Saludos... :-)

System Administration: It's a dirty job,
but someone told I had to do it.
Martín Marqués                  email:  martin@math.unl.edu.ar
Santa Fe - Argentina            http://math.unl.edu.ar/~martin/
Administrador de sistemas en math.unl.edu.ar

Re: user/group creation privileges

From
"Richard Huxton"
From: "Martin A. Marques" <martin@math.unl.edu.ar>

> I have a special question.
> I'm about to make a system that is going to have several users are going
to load
> data with a web interface. This users are gonna be on a special group that
will
> have privileges on the database.
> Now, I want to have on (or more) users to be able to create new users, put
them
> in this group and give them privileges to modify the database structure
(SELECT,
> INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE).
> How can I do this last part? I didn't find much on the GRANT manual.
>
> Saludos... :-)

When you run the "createuser" command-line program you can select many of
these permissions. I would be tempted to have one administration user
defined in PG that can do all of this, then define a separate admin section
of the website that is only accessible to the users you want.

This gives you more precise control over which users can do what.

- Richard Huxton

Date:
Mensaje citado por: Richard Huxton <dev@archonet.com>:

> When you run the "createuser" command-line program you can select many
> of
> these permissions. I would be tempted to have one administration user
> defined in PG that can do all of this, then define a separate admin
> section
> of the website that is only accessible to the users you want.
>
> This gives you more precise control over which users can do what.

Yes, but what I want is a user that can only create users with previliges on a
determinated group.
But as my app. is gonna work with the web, I guess they can't do anything the
the client I'm building will let them do.

Thanks anyway.... :-)