has anybody gotten cygwin1.1.8 to work with postgresql?

From
"Jeff"
Date:
I've tried fruitlessly to install cygwin1.1.8 work with postgresql7.03

Has any body out there done it?

Where can I get the latest postgresql7.1?

Thank you

Re: has anybody gotten cygwin1.1.8 to work with postgresql?

From
newsreader@mediaone.net
Date:
I tried at one point though I don't know the cygwin version.

I didn't work; said c compiler cannot produce
executeable

On Wed, Feb 28, 2001 at 10:43:54PM -0500, Jeff wrote:
> I've tried fruitlessly to install cygwin1.1.8 work with postgresql7.03
>
> Has any body out there done it?
>
> Where can I get the latest postgresql7.1?
>
> Thank you

Re: has anybody gotten cygwin1.1.8 to work with postgresql?

From
Peter Schindler
Date:
Jeff,

Jeff wrote:
> I've tried fruitlessly to install cygwin1.1.8 work with postgresql7.03
>
> Has any body out there done it?
What is actually wrong with the install? If you can't start the postmaster,
because its complains about the IPCs, I fall over the same problem, but
actually with 7.1. Some other guys investigated it already,
and there is a problem with the IPCs with cygwin1.1.8
So their suggestion is to downgrade to 1.1.7, but there is
trap when doing it, because of locked dlls.

Have a look into the threads of the -ports mailing lists of Feb2001,
especially this below, when downgrading:

    http://www.postgresql.org/mhonarc/pgsql-ports/2001-02/msg00084.html

> Where can I get the latest postgresql7.1?
http://www.postgresql.org/sites.html

Peter

Re: has anybody gotten cygwin1.1.8 to work with postgresql?

From
"Brent R. Matzelle"
Date:
--- newsreader@mediaone.net wrote:
> I tried at one point though I don't know the cygwin version.
>
> I didn't work; said c compiler cannot produce
> executeable

This happened to me as well.  It occurs because you haven't
applied the source patch.  You can read out and download it
here:

http://people.freebsd.org/~kevlo/postgres/portNT.html

Note: Peter Schindler's remark above is correct.  PostgreSQL
will not run under Cygwin 1.1.8.  There was a problem with fork
I believe that caused the problem.  It has been fixed, although
you will need to download the most recent snapshot of cygwin to
get it.

Brent