A How-To: PostgreSQL from Tcl via ODBC

From
Dan Lyke
Date:
A friend asked me to figure out how to access PostgreSQL from Tcl via
ODBC. For posterity, here's the step by step "how I did it" that I
emailed to him. I don't know Tcl, this was just about getting the
compile options correct and doing the proper sysadminning to make
things work.

Comments, suggestions and clarifications appreciated, hopefully this
will save the next person going through the pain a few steps:

http://www.flutterby.com/archives/2001_Feb/19_PostgreSQLfromTclwithODBC.html

Re: A How-To: PostgreSQL from Tcl via ODBC

From
Bill Barnes
Date:
Hooray! These instructions are just what an
almost-novice needs.

With the exception of changing the password to
'postgresql', the procedures started smoothly.

Ran into a hitch at 'make' which reported that 'bison'
was not installed.  I'm running debian potato, so used
the apt-get install of bison.  Bison is installed in
/usr/bin. I copied it to /home/billb/pgsql.

Still getting the 'bison missing' message.

Can anyone show me the error of my ways.

TIA
Bill

--- Dan Lyke <danlyke@flutterby.com> wrote:
> A friend asked me to figure out how to access
> PostgreSQL from Tcl via
> ODBC. For posterity, here's the step by step "how I
> did it" that I
> emailed to him. I don't know Tcl, this was just
> about getting the
> compile options correct and doing the proper
> sysadminning to make
> things work.
>
> Comments, suggestions and clarifications
> appreciated, hopefully this
> will save the next person going through the pain a
> few steps:

http://www.flutterby.com/archives/2001_Feb/19_PostgreSQLfromTclwithODBC.html

Re: Re: A How-To: PostgreSQL from Tcl via ODBC

Date:
Bill Barnes <kgbsoft@yahoo.com> writes:
> Ran into a hitch at 'make' which reported that 'bison'
> was not installed.  I'm running debian potato, so used
> the apt-get install of bison.  Bison is installed in
> /usr/bin. I copied it to /home/billb/pgsql.

> Still getting the 'bison missing' message.

Re-run configure, and watch to make sure that it finds bison this time.
You'll need flex too, if you intend to build from CVS sources.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Re: A How-To: PostgreSQL from Tcl via ODBC

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
> Ran into a hitch at 'make' which reported that 'bison'
> was not installed.  I'm running debian potato, so used
> the apt-get install of bison.  Bison is installed in
> /usr/bin. I copied it to /home/billb/pgsql.
>
> Still getting the 'bison missing' message.

You need to remove config.cache before reconfiguring.

Here's a hint for all who are getting PostgreSQL from CVS, are anyone else
really:  Run configure with --cache=/dev/null.  There is never a reason
why you would need that cache, and there is an infinite number of reasons
why you don't want it.  It's going to save you a lot of head aches.

Re: Re: A How-To: PostgreSQL from Tcl via ODBC

From
Bill Barnes
Date:
Thanks.  That cleared the bison problem.

flex didn't work the same way though.  Copied it also
to /home/billb/pgsql.  Reported missing.  Needs to go
someplace else?

TIA
Bill

Date:
Bill Barnes <kgbsoft@yahoo.com> writes:
> Thanks.  That cleared the bison problem.

> flex didn't work the same way though.  Copied it also
> to /home/billb/pgsql.  Reported missing.  Needs to go
> someplace else?

Hmm, should work the same: configure will find it if it's in your PATH.

            regards, tom lane

Tom Lane writes:
> Re-run configure, and watch to make sure that it finds bison this time.
> You'll need flex too, if you intend to build from CVS sources.

And if you're going to use the ODBC drivers under Linux (or any other
OS that links C "strings" into read only memory) you'll need pretty
recent CVS sources.

One of the bugs I had to track down even though my original CVS update
was only a few weeks old.

Dan

Date:
Bill Barnes writes:
> Ran into a hitch at 'make' which reported that 'bison'
> was not installed.  I'm running debian potato, so used
> the apt-get install of bison.  Bison is installed in
> /usr/bin. I copied it to /home/billb/pgsql.

I'm a Debian user too, but I had bison installed. Remove it from
/home/billb/pgsql (as long as it's in your path things should be
okay), and try running "configure" again.

Dan

Re: Re: A How-To: PostgreSQL from Tcl via ODBC

From
Bill Barnes
Date:
Many, many thanks to Dan, Peter, Tom.  Best day I've
had in some time.

Deleted the config.cache and added cache=/dev/null to
configure.  Went swimmingly from there thru the first
tests.

Now on to the client setups.

Thanks again.

Date:
Dan Lyke <danlyke@flutterby.com> writes:
> Bill Barnes writes:
>> Ran into a hitch at 'make' which reported that 'bison'
>> was not installed.  I'm running debian potato, so used
>> the apt-get install of bison.  Bison is installed in
>> /usr/bin. I copied it to /home/billb/pgsql.

> I'm a Debian user too, but I had bison installed. Remove it from
> /home/billb/pgsql (as long as it's in your path things should be
> okay), and try running "configure" again.

Yeah, if it's in your path to begin with then it shouldn't be necessary
to copy it (and it's hard to believe that /usr/bin isn't in your path).

I suspect Peter Eisentraut had the right answer: flush the config.cache
file before running configure, else it'll reuse its previous result
about whether bison exists.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Re: A How-To: PostgreSQL from Tcl via ODBC

From
Bill Barnes
Date:
Now have this installation running on Mandrake 7.2.

Added a script at /etc/rc.d/init.d/postgresql to start
the database at boot but it doesn't work.

The script:
su postgres
/usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_ctl -D /usr/local/pgsql/data
-o "-i" start

The start command works, but as you already know, the
su postgres must go someplace else.  When I comment it
out the command line '/etc/rc.d/init.d/postgresql' as
user postgres starts the database.

Believe that a script to stop the database is also
required.

Thanks for your help.

Bill