Alpha FreeBSD port of PostgreSQL !!!

From
Nathan Boeger
Date:
is anyone working on the port of PostgreSQL for Alpha  FreeBSD ?? I have
been waiting for over a year very very patiently !!!

I really love my Alpha FreeBSD box and I want to use PostgreSQL on it...
but postgresql does not build.

If they need a box I am more than willing to give them complete access
to my Alpha !

please let me know

thank you

nathan

Re: [HACKERS] Alpha FreeBSD port of PostgreSQL !!!

From
Nathan Boeger
Date:
Nathan Boeger wrote:

> is anyone working on the port of PostgreSQL for Alpha  FreeBSD ?? I have
> been waiting for over a year very very patiently !!!
>
> I really love my Alpha FreeBSD box and I want to use PostgreSQL on it...
> but postgresql does not build.
>
> If they need a box I am more than willing to give them complete access
> to my Alpha !
>
> please let me know
>
> thank you
>
> nathan

Well I'am new to "hacking" but I did get it once to compile by removing the
CFLAGS entirely (very weak !)

so if you need a hand (you might have to hold mine just a little) then let
me know. As I said I don't mind giving you access to my box (root) cause I
cannot use it since I don't have a database on it....

let me know

Date:
Nathan Boeger <nathan@khmere.com> writes:
> is anyone working on the port of PostgreSQL for Alpha  FreeBSD ??

Not that I know about.  DEC/Compaq was kind enough to lend the project
an Alpha for testing, but it's running Linux (RedHat 6.2).

> If they need a box I am more than willing to give them complete access
> to my Alpha !

Let me get back to you after we finish wringing out the known Alpha
portability issues on the Linux box.  What with the fmgr changes,
7.1 has at least a shot at running cleanly on Alphas ... but there's
still mop-up work to do.

            regards, tom lane

Re: [HACKERS] Alpha FreeBSD port of PostgreSQL !!!

From
The Hermit Hacker
Date:
On Fri, 3 Nov 2000, Tom Lane wrote:

> Nathan Boeger <nathan@khmere.com> writes:
> > is anyone working on the port of PostgreSQL for Alpha  FreeBSD ??
>
> Not that I know about.  DEC/Compaq was kind enough to lend the project
> an Alpha for testing, but it's running Linux (RedHat 6.2).

We've also got a copy of True64 to throw onto the machine, and I *have* to
work on getting FreeBSD running on it too ... never enough hours in the
day :(

Jeff, feel like trying out the True64 install and seeing how it
goes?  Worst case, we have to install Redhat from scratch *shrug*

Tom, anything on that machine that you wanna backup?  Or its all safe?

Re: [HACKERS] Alpha FreeBSD port of PostgreSQL !!!

Date:
The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org> writes:
> Jeff, feel like trying out the True64 install and seeing how it
> goes?  Worst case, we have to install Redhat from scratch *shrug*

> Tom, anything on that machine that you wanna backup?  Or its all safe?

No problem for me.  Just keep us posted on which OS it's running today
;-)

            regards, tom lane

Date:
On Fri, 3 Nov 2000, Tom Lane wrote:

> The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org> writes:
> > Jeff, feel like trying out the True64 install and seeing how it
> > goes?  Worst case, we have to install Redhat from scratch *shrug*
>
> > Tom, anything on that machine that you wanna backup?  Or its all safe?
>
> No problem for me.  Just keep us posted on which OS it's running today
> ;-)

Will do, I know that Jeff has been antsy since True64 got in the other
day, so I don't imagine its gonna take him long to get that installed :)

How do you call one pltcl procedure from another?

From
"Jonathan Ellis"
Date:
I defined a procedure

CREATE FUNCTION meta_class (varchar) RETURNS varchar AS '
' LANGUAGE 'pltcl';

This works fine.  But when I want to call it from another tcl procedure I
get errors:
bf2=# CREATE FUNCTION foo (varchar) RETURNS varchar AS '
    return [meta_class $1]
' LANGUAGE 'pltcl';

bf2'# bf2'# CREATE

bf2=# bf2=# select foo(class) from weapon_Types;
ERROR:  pltcl: invalid command name "meta_class"

This IS possible -- isn't it?

-Jonathan