Starting postmaster at boot

From
"Adam Lang"
Date:
I'm still having difficulties getting postgres to start on boot.

Any chance someone can give me an example of how they have it on their
system?

(Seemed to have been lost in the list being down).

Adam Lang
Systems Engineer
Rutgers Casualty Insurance Company

Re: Starting postmaster at boot

From
David Veatch
Date:
At 03:20 PM 9/14/00 -0400, Adam Lang wrote:
 >I'm still having difficulties getting postgres to start on boot.
 >
 >Any chance someone can give me an example of how they have it on their
 >system?
 >

 >(Seemed to have been lost in the list being down).
 >
 >Adam Lang
 >Systems Engineer
 >Rutgers Casualty Insurance Company

Haven't done much looking into it for efficiency or anything like that, but
here's what I have in my rc.local file (FreeBSD 3.2).  Hope it helps!

#!/bin/sh
[ -x /usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster ] && {
     su -l postgres -c 'exec /usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster -D
/usr/local/pgsql/data -S -o -F -N 48 -B 96> /home/postgres/postgres.log' &
     echo -n ' postgres'
}

David Veatch - dvicci@reckoning.org

"Many people would sooner die than think.
In fact, they do." - Bertrand Russell

Re: Starting postmaster at boot

From
"Adam Lang"
Date:
Does it work the same for linux?

Date:
At 03:31 PM 9/14/00 -0400, Adam Lang wrote:
 >Does it work the same for linux?

It's basic sh, so I can only assume that it does, though I should stress
that I don't run Linux, and haven't sat at a Linux command prompt in over a
year... so I can't say it does with 100% certainty.  The sh syntax should
port, and if the Linux port of Postgres supports the same arguments as the
FreeBSD port, then that should work as well...

David Veatch - dvicci@reckoning.org

"Many people would sooner die than think.
In fact, they do." - Bertrand Russell

Re: Starting postmaster at boot

From
"Adam Lang"
Date:
I didn't directly use your method, but you nonetheless solved my problem.
From the beginning everyone was telling me to put this into my rc.local:
su postgres -c "/usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster -D /usr/local/pgsql/data -i
/usr/local/pgsql/postgres.log 2>&1 &"

It was never working.  I noticed you had a tag "-l" in yours for su.  I
looked up the reason for it and gave it a try.  So the script:
su -l postgres -c "/usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster -D
/usr/local/pgsql/data -i /home/postgres/postgres.log 2>1 &"
does work.

I still don't understand the point of the 1's and 2's in the command though.

Why is everyone else's script working without the -l and mine wasn't?

Thanks.

Adam Lang
Systems Engineer
Rutgers Casualty Insurance Company
> At 03:20 PM 9/14/00 -0400, Adam Lang wrote:
>  >I'm still having difficulties getting postgres to start on boot.
>  >
>  >Any chance someone can give me an example of how they have it on their
>  >system?
>  >
>  >
>  >(Seemed to have been lost in the list being down).
>  >
>  >Adam Lang
>  >Systems Engineer
>  >Rutgers Casualty Insurance Company
>
> Haven't done much looking into it for efficiency or anything like that,
but
> here's what I have in my rc.local file (FreeBSD 3.2).  Hope it helps!
>

> #!/bin/sh
> [ -x /usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster ] && {
>      su -l postgres -c 'exec /usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster -D
> /usr/local/pgsql/data -S -o -F -N 48 -B 96> /home/postgres/postgres.log' &
>      echo -n ' postgres'
> }
>
> David Veatch - dvicci@reckoning.org
>
> "Many people would sooner die than think.
> In fact, they do." - Bertrand Russell

Re: Starting postmaster at boot

From
Alfred Perlstein
Date:
* Adam Lang <aalang@rutgersinsurance.com> [000914 13:21] wrote:
> I didn't directly use your method, but you nonetheless solved my problem.
> >From the beginning everyone was telling me to put this into my rc.local:
> su postgres -c "/usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster -D /usr/local/pgsql/data -i
> /usr/local/pgsql/postgres.log 2>&1 &"
>
> It was never working.  I noticed you had a tag "-l" in yours for su.  I
> looked up the reason for it and gave it a try.  So the script:
> su -l postgres -c "/usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster -D
> /usr/local/pgsql/data -i /home/postgres/postgres.log 2>1 &"
> does work.
>
> I still don't understand the point of the 1's and 2's in the command though.

It tells the shell to hook the child's stderr to stdout so that all
output should go to /home/postgres/postgres.log.

> Why is everyone else's script working without the -l and mine wasn't?

Check su's manpage.

Re: Starting postmaster at boot

From
Dale Walker
Adam Lang wrote:

> I didn't directly use your method, but you nonetheless solved my problem.
> >From the beginning everyone was telling me to put this into my rc.local:
> su postgres -c "/usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster -D /usr/local/pgsql/data -i
> /usr/local/pgsql/postgres.log 2>&1 &"
>
> It was never working.  I noticed you had a tag "-l" in yours for su.  I
> looked up the reason for it and gave it a try.  So the script:
> su -l postgres -c "/usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster -D
> /usr/local/pgsql/data -i /home/postgres/postgres.log 2>1 &"
> does work.
>
> I still don't understand the point of the 1's and 2's in the command though.

it's a method for redirecting STDERR --> STDOUT

this is especially usefull in scripts

normally I use [scriptname >/dev/null 2>&1] to send any unwanted output
to /dev/null

> Why is everyone else's script working without the -l and mine wasn't?

'-l' uses the login profile for the su'd user... this is similar to a
'simuated login', without it , it was only referencing variables from
your roo profile ... (ie. no PGDATA,etc..)

--
Dale Walker                                              dale@icr.com.au
Independent Computer Retailers (ICR)               http://www.icr.com.au

Re: Starting postmaster at boot

From
"Adam Lang"
Date:
oh... so since I did a su -l, I could have just used the command,
postmaster -i >>postgres.log 2>>1 & ? Since I had the appropriate variables
in postgres's .bash_profile?

Adam Lang
Systems Engineer
Rutgers Casualty Insurance Company
> > I didn't directly use your method, but you nonetheless solved my
problem.
> > >From the beginning everyone was telling me to put this into my
rc.local:
> > su postgres -c "/usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster -D
/usr/local/pgsql/data -i
> > /usr/local/pgsql/postgres.log 2>&1 &"
> >
> > It was never working.  I noticed you had a tag "-l" in yours for su.  I
> > looked up the reason for it and gave it a try.  So the script:
> > su -l postgres -c "/usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster -D
> > /usr/local/pgsql/data -i /home/postgres/postgres.log 2>1 &"
> > does work.
> >
> > I still don't understand the point of the 1's and 2's in the command
though.

> it's a method for redirecting STDERR --> STDOUT
>
> this is especially usefull in scripts
>
> normally I use [scriptname >/dev/null 2>&1] to send any unwanted output
> to /dev/null
>

> > Why is everyone else's script working without the -l and mine wasn't?
> >

> '-l' uses the login profile for the su'd user... this is similar to a
> 'simuated login', without it , it was only referencing variables from
> your roo profile ... (ie. no PGDATA,etc..)
>

> --
> Dale Walker                                              dale@icr.com.au
> Independent Computer Retailers (ICR)               http://www.icr.com.au
> ICRnet            http://www.icr.net.au

Re: Starting postmaster at boot

From
"Mitch Vincent"
Date:
The reason I didn't have to use the -l is that I have everything PostgreSQL
needs (as far as environment variables) already set, because this machine is
a dedicated PostgreSQL server.

Sorry, should have thought about that before I replied but it seems you have
it running now, that's great.. Good luck!

-Mitch

> > I didn't directly use your method, but you nonetheless solved my
problem.
> > >From the beginning everyone was telling me to put this into my
rc.local:
> > su postgres -c "/usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster -D
/usr/local/pgsql/data -i
> > /usr/local/pgsql/postgres.log 2>&1 &"
> >
> > It was never working.  I noticed you had a tag "-l" in yours for su.  I
> > looked up the reason for it and gave it a try.  So the script:
> > su -l postgres -c "/usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster -D
> > /usr/local/pgsql/data -i /home/postgres/postgres.log 2>1 &"
> > does work.
> >
> > I still don't understand the point of the 1's and 2's in the command
though.

> it's a method for redirecting STDERR --> STDOUT
>
> this is especially usefull in scripts
>
> normally I use [scriptname >/dev/null 2>&1] to send any unwanted output
> to /dev/null
>

> > Why is everyone else's script working without the -l and mine wasn't?
> >

> '-l' uses the login profile for the su'd user... this is similar to a
> 'simuated login', without it , it was only referencing variables from
> your roo profile ... (ie. no PGDATA,etc..)
>

> --
> Dale Walker                                              dale@icr.com.au
> Independent Computer Retailers (ICR)               http://www.icr.com.au
> ICRnet            http://www.icr.net.au

Re: Starting postmaster at boot

From
"Adam Lang"
Date:
OH! I get it.  Whereas I have the environment variables in postgres's
.bash_profile, you have it set where those variables are loaded for all
users, correct?

But the part that I don't get is that (typing it at console) I can start
postgresql (while logged in as postgres) with the command: postmaster -i
because I have the variables for the location of postmaster and pgdata set.

But, I would assume that typing the absolute paths would have gotten around
that for when I was doing the su.  Are there other environment variables I
didn't take insto consideration?

Adam Lang
Systems Engineer
Rutgers Casualty Insurance Company
> The reason I didn't have to use the -l is that I have everything
PostgreSQL
> needs (as far as environment variables) already set, because this machine
is
> a dedicated PostgreSQL server.
>
> Sorry, should have thought about that before I replied but it seems you
have
> it running now, that's great.. Good luck!
>
> -Mitch

Re[2]: Starting postmaster at boot

From
Eje Gustafsson
Date:
Is my messages coming through ??

I sent 2 messages earlier but I never saw them.

Is there anyway to retrieve an expired row from a table in a database ?
When  you  update/delete  a row it's sets the old record to expired and you
can  not  access  it.  When  you  run  vacuum  you delete all these expired
messages if I haven't missunderstood postgres totally..
Any ideas how to display the expired rows ??

AL> OH! I get it.  Whereas I have the environment variables in postgres's
AL> .bash_profile, you have it set where those variables are loaded for all
AL> users, correct?

AL> But the part that I don't get is that (typing it at console) I can start
AL> postgresql (while logged in as postgres) with the command: postmaster -i
AL> because I have the variables for the location of postmaster and pgdata set.

AL> But, I would assume that typing the absolute paths would have gotten around
AL> that for when I was doing the su.  Are there other environment variables I
AL> didn't take insto consideration?

AL> Adam Lang
AL> Systems Engineer
AL> Rutgers Casualty Insurance Company

Best regards,
 Eje                                  mailto:MacAhan@fament.com
The Family Entertainment Network      http://www.fament.com
Phone : 316-231-7777                  Fax   : 316-231-4066
 - Your Internet Solution Provider & PC Computer Solutions Provider -