Re: Starting postmaster at boot - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Dale Walker
Subject Re: Starting postmaster at boot
Date
List pgsql-general
Adam Lang wrote:

> I didn't directly use your method, but you nonetheless solved my problem.
> >From the beginning everyone was telling me to put this into my rc.local:
> su postgres -c "/usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster -D /usr/local/pgsql/data -i
> /usr/local/pgsql/postgres.log 2>&1 &"
>
> It was never working.  I noticed you had a tag "-l" in yours for su.  I
> looked up the reason for it and gave it a try.  So the script:
> su -l postgres -c "/usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster -D
> /usr/local/pgsql/data -i /home/postgres/postgres.log 2>1 &"
> does work.
>
> I still don't understand the point of the 1's and 2's in the command though.

it's a method for redirecting STDERR --> STDOUT

this is especially usefull in scripts

normally I use [scriptname >/dev/null 2>&1] to send any unwanted output
to /dev/null

> Why is everyone else's script working without the -l and mine wasn't?

'-l' uses the login profile for the su'd user... this is similar to a
'simuated login', without it , it was only referencing variables from
your roo profile ... (ie. no PGDATA,etc..)

--
Dale Walker                                              dale@icr.com.au
Independent Computer Retailers (ICR)               http://www.icr.com.au