Notice of List Changes ...

From
scrappy@hub.org (Marc G. Fournier)
Date:
Few of us ever watch the newsgroups, and I fear that an
announcement might never have reached them ...

This list is pretty much dead, having been supersceded
by pgsql-general (comp.databases.postgresql.general) as
well as several others (.admin, .sql, .novice) ...

Right now, all messages to here are gated to .general, but
if you check out the other newsgroups, you'll find alot more
traffic :)

--
Marc G. Fournier                               scrappy@hub.org
Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: Notice of List Changes ...

From
The Hermit Hacker
quick note: 'this list' refers to the pgsql-questions list that was split
over a year ago ... :)

On 22 Jul 2000, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> Few of us ever watch the newsgroups, and I fear that an
> announcement might never have reached them ...
>
> This list is pretty much dead, having been supersceded
> by pgsql-general (comp.databases.postgresql.general) as
> well as several others (.admin, .sql, .novice) ...
>
> Right now, all messages to here are gated to .general, but
> if you check out the other newsgroups, you'll find alot more
> traffic :)
>
> --
> Marc G. Fournier                               scrappy@hub.org
> Systems Administrator @ hub.org
> scrappy@{postgresql|isc}.org                       ICQ#7615664

Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: Notice of List Changes ...

From
Steve Heaven
Date:
At 15:39 22/07/00 GMT, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

>This list is pretty much dead, having been supersceded
>by pgsql-general (comp.databases.postgresql.general) as
>well as several others (.admin, .sql, .novice) ...

Is this a newly created newsgroup? Our newsfeed doesnt include it

Steve

--
thorNET  - Internet Consultancy, Services & Training
Phone: 01454 854413

Re: Notice of List Changes ...

From
Alessio Bragadini
Date:
Steve Heaven wrote:

> >This list is pretty much dead, having been supersceded
> >by pgsql-general (comp.databases.postgresql.general) as
> >well as several others (.admin, .sql, .novice) ...
> >
> Is this a newly created newsgroup? Our newsfeed doesnt include it

Yes and no. There are some private and not distribute newsgroups
(gatewayed with the lists) which unfortunately have been placed under
comp.databases.* without being official big8 (i.e. Usenet) groups
approved by a vote. To my experience as a hierarchy maintainer this is
blatantly wrong and can only lead to serious misunderstandings. Would be
better to use a pgsql.* hierarchy.

--
Alessio F. Bragadini        alessio@albourne.com
APL Financial Services        http://www.sevenseas.org/~alessio

"It is more complicated than you think"
        -- The Eighth Networking Truth from RFC 1925

Re: Notice of List Changes ...

From
The Hermit Hacker
Date:
On Mon, 24 Jul 2000, Steve Heaven wrote:

> At 15:39 22/07/00 GMT, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> >
> >This list is pretty much dead, having been supersceded
> >by pgsql-general (comp.databases.postgresql.general) as
> >well as several others (.admin, .sql, .novice) ...
> >
> Is this a newly created newsgroup? Our newsfeed doesnt include it

Was created when the mailing list was created, which was over a year ago

DBD-Pg vs Pg Perl interface

From
Steve Heaven
Date:
We currently use the Pg Perl module to interface our CGI scripts to Postgres.
What would be the advantages/disadvantages to changing to the more generic
DBI/DBD-Pg style interface?

Thanks

Steve

--
thorNET  - Internet Consultancy, Services & Training
Phone: 01454 854413
Fax:   01454 854412
http://www.thornet.co.uk

Re: DBD-Pg vs Pg Perl interface

From
Thomas Good
Date:
On Mon, 24 Jul 2000, Steve Heaven wrote:

> We currently use the Pg Perl module to interface our CGI scripts to Postgres.
> What would be the advantages/disadvantages to changing to the more generic
                                                             1) ^^^^^^^^^^^^
> DBI/DBD-Pg style interface?
>
> Thanks
>
> Steve

...Portability

2) "Programming the Perl DBI Interface" by Tim Bunce/Alligator Descarte
3) DBI mailing list
4) Syntax reminiscent of ESQL/C

               SVCMC - Center for Behavioral Health
Thomas Good                          tomg@ { admin | q8 } .nrnet.org
IS Coordinator / DBA                 Phone: 718-354-5528
                                     Fax:   718-354-5056