Unsigned Datatypes

From
Martin Neumann
Date:
Are there any plans to implement unsigned datatypes like uint4 and
uint8?

In many cases I don't need the signed int4 numbers, but I would be happy
to have a larger range without using the twice as large int8 type.

--
Martin Neumann, Welkenrather Str. 118c, 52074 Aachen, Germany
mne@mne.de - http://www.mne.de/mne/ - sms@mne.de [eMail2SMS]
Tel. 0241 / 8876-080 - Mobil: 0173 / 27 69 632
------.---------------------------------------------------------
|  at  | Inform GmbH - Abteilung Airport Logistics
| work | Pascalstr. 23 - 52076 Aachen - Tel. 02408 / 9456-0
|______| martin.neumann@inform-ac.com - http://www.inform-ac.com

Re: [GENERAL] Unsigned Datatypes

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
The standard doesn't provide for specifically unsigned types, so I do not
believe anyone would want to go through that trouble. Sorry.

On 2000-01-19, Martin Neumann mentioned:

Date:
> The standard doesn't provide for specifically unsigned types, so I do not
> believe anyone would want to go through that trouble. Sorry.

Actually, oid data type is an unsigned int4.  If it does not behave that
way, it is a bug.

Re: [GENERAL] Unsigned Datatypes

From
Jim Mercer
Date:
On Thu, Jan 20, 2000 at 05:18:36PM -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > The standard doesn't provide for specifically unsigned types, so I do not
> > believe anyone would want to go through that trouble. Sorry.
>
> Actually, oid data type is an unsigned int4.  If it does not behave that
> way, it is a bug.

is this just in pgsql, or in SQL in general?

--
[ Jim Mercer                 jim@reptiles.org              +1 416 506-0654 ]
[          Reptilian Research -- Longer Life through Colder Blood          ]

Re: [GENERAL] Unsigned Datatypes

Date:
> On Thu, Jan 20, 2000 at 05:18:36PM -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > > The standard doesn't provide for specifically unsigned types, so I do not
> > > believe anyone would want to go through that trouble. Sorry.
> >
> > Actually, oid data type is an unsigned int4.  If it does not behave that
> > way, it is a bug.
>
> is this just in pgsql, or in SQL in general?

Just PostgreSQL.  Others don't have oids.