Accounting/inventory systems

From
"freetips"
Date:
Can we develop difficult accounting/inventory system and use PostgreSQL  for
server. We will use MsAccess for client.
We have to choose between:
MySQL PostgreSQL or another server .
Does some company use PostgreSQL  for these purposes? My be there are some
commercial realises of accounting/inventory programmes which use PostgreSQL ?
Does somebody know some REALLY working accounting or inventory system on LAN
(not via Internet)??? - where server is PostgreSQL .Because I have feeling that PostgreSQL
is used only with regards to Internet.
Any additional information will be highly appreciated in our hard decision
process.
Thank you!

Because I have feeling that PostgreSQL  is used only with regards to Internet.

Re: [GENERAL] Accounting/inventory systems

From
The Hermit Hacker
Date:
Inhouse, we use PostgreSQL as the backend to a dial-up accounting system,
handling all logging from radiusd, as well as keeping track of userid's
and passwords...

I've gotta get off my butt and redo the User Gallery pages, so that this
information is more readily available *sigh*  I think I'll just clear off
my plate this afternoon and dive back into it...

Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: [GENERAL] Accounting/inventory systems

From
"Brett W. McCoy"
Date:
On Thu, 2 Sep 1999, freetips wrote:

> Can we develop difficult accounting/inventory system and use PostgreSQL  for
> server. We will use MsAccess for client.
> We have to choose between:
> MySQL PostgreSQL or another server .
> Does some company use PostgreSQL  for these purposes? My be there are some
> commercial realises of accounting/inventory programmes which use PostgreSQL ?
> Does somebody know some REALLY working accounting or inventory system on LAN
> (not via Internet)??? - where server is PostgreSQL .Because I have feeling that PostgreSQL
> is used only with regards to Internet.

I can tell you that Postgres isn't only used on the Internet.  I'm using
it in my office for a big image conversion tracking system.  We have some
7 million TIFF, which comprise about 150,000 'documents' that are being
converted over to PDF files for a new information retrieval system we are
developing (not under Postgres, alas).  The primary interface is PerlCGI
for running conversion batches and for QC of converted documents (it's
done through the intranet off of Apache).  I also have some utility
programs I wrote that are command-=line based, also based on Perl and
using Postgres, and our database administrator is using Access on her
desktop to maintain the database, run updates and deletes against the
data, and so on.  It's not a full commercial inventory system, but with a
few modifications it certainly could be used as one.

Brett W. McCoy
                                         http://www.lan2wan.com/~bmccoy
Slang is language that takes off its coat, spits on its hands, and goes
to work.

Wingate for Linux

From
"freetips"
Date:
Is aviable software like Wingate but only for Linux?

Re: [GENERAL] Wingate for Linux

From
A James Lewis
Date:
Surely wingate was entirely based on Linux?

IP Masq has been in the kernel forever.. 2.2 supports demand dialing from
withing the kernel (Earlier versions require the diald daemon) and squid
offers a very powerful web proxy server!

James

On Fri, 3 Sep 1999, freetips wrote:

> Is aviable software like Wingate but only for Linux?
>

> ************

A.J. (james@fsck.co.uk)
Sometimes you're ahead, somtimes you're behind.
The race is long, and in the end it's only with yourself.

Re: [GENERAL] Wingate for Linux

From
Bruce Tong
Date:
> Is aviable software like Wingate but only for Linux?

I'm not sure how this relates to PostgreSQL, so I suggest you repeat your
question on a list for whatever distribution of Linux you are using.

I'm certain you'll find the answer is yes, but its not all in one package.
I only have a rough idea of what WinGate does and the following
information comes off the top of my head so take it with a grain of salt.
For IP Masquerading/Forwarding are part of firewalling - I think its
called IP chains now, but I'm not certain. You can get dial-on-demand from
packages like diald.

--

Bruce Tong                 |  Got me an office; I'm there late at night.
Systems Programmer         |  Just send me e-mail, maybe I'll write.

Re: [GENERAL] Accounting/inventory systems

From
Howie
Date:
On Thu, 2 Sep 1999, freetips wrote:

> Can we develop difficult accounting/inventory system and use PostgreSQL  for
> server. We will use MsAccess for client.
> We have to choose between:
> MySQL PostgreSQL or another server .

an accounting system would greatly benefit from the use of foreign keys
and triggers, both of which mysql lacks.  the 'big boys' ( oracle,
informix, sybase ) all support triggers and foreign keys, but they're also
just slightly more expensive than Postgres.

i wrote a billing system that was originally based in mysql, then moved to
postgresql.  the db was just so much cleaner, i didnt have to worry about
manually performing trigger-equivalents, i could make extensive use of
foreign keys and _proper date handling_...

> Does some company use PostgreSQL  for these purposes? My be there are some
> commercial realises of accounting/inventory programmes which use PostgreSQL ?
> Does somebody know some REALLY working accounting or inventory system on LAN
> (not via Internet)??? - where server is PostgreSQL .Because I have feeling that PostgreSQL
> is used only with regards to Internet.

erm, postgresql isnt just used on the internet, nor is it 'just used' via
the web.  that would be like saying "Oracle is only used for e-commerce
sites."

a major project im working on includes basic inventory tracking abilities
and accounting capabilities ( part of it is a quoting system ).  once its
completed, i hope to be able to sell it to management on a 'lesser' scale
- the full blown release will be on a Sun E3500 with Oracle & NeXT/Apple's
WebObjects platform, but we all know that not every company can afford
this.  the 'lesser' scale model i proposed would be Linux and MacOS X
Server-based ( for the WebObjects portion ), running on either FrontBase
or PostgreSQL.  (warning: shameless plug follows) since NeXT/Apple's tools
(the Enterprise Objects Framework (EOF)) make the underlying database
irrelevant, i'm fairly confident i'll be able to convince management.

---
Howie <caffeine@toodarkpark.org>   URL: http://www.toodarkpark.org
"The distance between insanity and genius is measured only by success."

************

Date:
On Thu, 2 Sep 1999, freetips wrote:

> Can we develop difficult accounting/inventory system and use PostgreSQL  for
> server. We will use MsAccess for client.
> We have to choose between:
> MySQL PostgreSQL or another server .

an accounting system would greatly benefit from the use of foreign keys
and triggers, both of which mysql lacks.  the 'big boys' ( oracle,
informix, sybase ) all support triggers and foreign keys, but they're also
just slightly more expensive than Postgres.

i wrote a billing system that was originally based in mysql, then moved to
postgresql.  the db was just so much cleaner, i didnt have to worry about
manually performing trigger-equivalents, i could make extensive use of
foreign keys and _proper date handling_...

> Does some company use PostgreSQL  for these purposes? My be there are some
> commercial realises of accounting/inventory programmes which use PostgreSQL ?
> Does somebody know some REALLY working accounting or inventory system on LAN
> (not via Internet)??? - where server is PostgreSQL .Because I have feeling that PostgreSQL
> is used only with regards to Internet.

erm, postgresql isnt just used on the internet, nor is it 'just used' via
the web.  that would be like saying "Oracle is only used for e-commerce
sites."

a major project im working on includes basic inventory tracking abilities
and accounting capabilities ( part of it is a quoting system ).  once its
completed, i hope to be able to sell it to management on a 'lesser' scale
- the full blown release will be on a Sun E3500 with Oracle & NeXT/Apple's
WebObjects platform, but we all know that not every company can afford
this.  the 'lesser' scale model i proposed would be Linux and MacOS X
Server-based ( for the WebObjects portion ), running on either FrontBase
or PostgreSQL.  (warning: shameless plug follows) since NeXT/Apple's tools
(the Enterprise Objects Framework (EOF)) make the underlying database
irrelevant, i'm fairly confident i'll be able to convince management.

---
Howie <caffeine@toodarkpark.org>   URL: http://www.toodarkpark.org
"The distance between insanity and genius is measured only by success."

************

Re: [GENERAL] Accounting/inventory systems

From
Ron Atkins
Date:
> > Does somebody know some REALLY working accounting or inventory system on LAN
> > (not via Internet)??? - where server is PostgreSQL .Because I have feeling that PostgreSQL
> > is used only with regards to Internet.

Sure, Kontor... it's GPLed and picking up steam! Go pick up a copy here:

    http://www.Linux-Kontor.de/en/

- Ron

On Mon, 6 Mar 2000, Ron Atkins wrote:

> > > Does somebody know some REALLY working accounting or inventory system on LAN
> > > (not via Internet)??? - where server is PostgreSQL .Because I have feeling that PostgreSQL
> > > is used only with regards to Internet.
>
> Sure, Kontor... it's GPLed and picking up steam! Go pick up a copy here:
>
>     http://www.Linux-Kontor.de/en/
you did not put it in:  http://www.pgsql.com/app-index/
BTW, seems the URL is not active now. why it is still not linked to the
official site? too ugly? who cares? -- and it is not ugly at all, beauty
of simplicity :-)

Re: [GENERAL] Accounting/inventory systems

From
Ron Atkins
Date:
*** IMPORTANT NOTE *** : I made an error, Kontor is not GPL'ed it is LGPL'ed... commercial
developers might be interested in that :-)

kaiq@realtyideas.com wrote:

> > Sure, Kontor... it's GPLed and picking up steam! Go pick up a copy here:
> >     http://www.Linux-Kontor.de/en/

> you did not put it in:  http://www.pgsql.com/app-index/

Huh... didn't know about it, thanks! I'll forward this to the original Kontor team...

>  and it is not ugly at all, beauty of simplicity :-)

I take it you linked it to the site?

-Ron

On Tue, 7 Mar 2000, Ron Atkins wrote:

> *** IMPORTANT NOTE *** : I made an error, Kontor is not GPL'ed it is LGPL'ed... commercial
> developers might be interested in that :-)
>
> kaiq@realtyideas.com wrote:
>
> > > Sure, Kontor... it's GPLed and picking up steam! Go pick up a copy here:
> > >     http://www.Linux-Kontor.de/en/
>
> > you did not put it in:  http://www.pgsql.com/app-index/
>
> Huh... didn't know about it, thanks! I'll forward this to the original Kontor team...
>
> >  and it is not ugly at all, beauty of simplicity :-)
>
> I take it you linked it to the site?
no, I do not have the authority ;-). before realPGguys do it, we need to
keep the precious url in our notes .