Keyed Tables

From
Glen and Rosanne Eustace
Date:
I thought I had already posted this query but now I can't remember.  If
I have please excuse the repeat.  But as I can't remember the answer
either can someone please comment.

Is there likely to be any attempt to allow a table to be keyed.  It
seems that by default a table is created as a heap and in order to
improve access speed, one must create indices on that table.

I use Ingres at work and quite like the ability to do a 'modify table to
btree' type of command.  When the table concerned is basically only a
key plus value, it seems rather inefficient to have to have both the
heap and then an index when supposedly one could simply make the table
into a btree in the first place.

Glen Eustace, on behalf of
GodZone Internet Services, a division of AGRE Enterprises Limited.
176 Te Awe Awe St, Palmerston North, New Zealand
Ph: +64 6 356 2562, Fax: +64 6 357 0271, Mobile: 025 416 184,
http://WWW.GodZone.Net.NZ

Re: [GENERAL] Keyed Tables

Date:
> I thought I had already posted this query but now I can't remember.  If
> I have please excuse the repeat.  But as I can't remember the answer
> either can someone please comment.
>
> Is there likely to be any attempt to allow a table to be keyed.  It
> seems that by default a table is created as a heap and in order to
> improve access speed, one must create indices on that table.
>
> I use Ingres at work and quite like the ability to do a 'modify table to
> btree' type of command.  When the table concerned is basically only a
> key plus value, it seems rather inefficient to have to have both the
> heap and then an index when supposedly one could simply make the table
> into a btree in the first place.

Yes, it is a nice feature, but we don't support it.  We do have CLUSTER,
but that is not as nice.

RE: [GENERAL] Keyed Tables

From
Glen and Rosanne Eustace
Date:
> Yes, it is a nice feature, but we don't support it.  We do
> have CLUSTER, but that is not as nice.

Any chance of adding it to the list of possible enhancements ?

Re: [GENERAL] Keyed Tables

Date:
> > Yes, it is a nice feature, but we don't support it.  We do
> > have CLUSTER, but that is not as nice.
>
> Any chance of adding it to the list of possible enhancements ?

Not sure it is do-able for us.  It would require so much work, that I
hesitate to add it.

Full Text Searches

From
Andy Lewis
Date:
Whats the possibility of having full text searches added to text fields?

That would be awesome.....

Andy

Re: [GENERAL] Full Text Searches

From
"Brett W. McCoy"
Date:
On Sun, 23 May 1999, Andy Lewis wrote:

> Whats the possibility of having full text searches added to text fields?
>
> That would be awesome.....

Unfortunately, full text indexing is a different issue than the kind of
indexing performed on table columns, and if you want to do any kind of
efficient full text searching, you have to index the individual words in
the text or it'd be so slow as to be hardly useful (especially if you're
talking about 600,000 records with 2K of text in each text field).

Excalibur, for instance, creates its own internal indexing for full text
records, but uses an underlying SQL database for regular fielded data, and
when you design your database, you have to make the distinction about what
kind of indexing you want, stop words (words you don't want indexed, like
'the' and 'of'), and the way certain fields can or will be searched.

Brett W. McCoy
                                        http://www.lan2wan.com/~bmccoy/
The six great gifts of an Irish girl are beauty, soft voice, sweet speech,
wisdom, needlework, and chastity.
        -- Theodore Roosevelt, 1907

Re: [GENERAL] Full Text Searches

Date:
We have a fulltext stuff in the contrib directory.

Date:
On Sun, 23 May 1999, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> We have a fulltext stuff in the contrib directory.

What's it called?  I only see some tcl frontend stuff.  Despite my
pessimism form the prior message, I am interested in a full text retrieval
engine.

Brett W. McCoy
                                        http://www.lan2wan.com/~bmccoy/
Lonely is a man without love.
        -- Englebert Humperdinck

Re: [GENERAL] Full Text Searches

From
Andy Lewis
Date:
Its not really, really explanitory.....

Date:
> On Sun, 23 May 1999, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > We have a fulltext stuff in the contrib directory.
>
> What's it called?  I only see some tcl frontend stuff.  Despite my
> pessimism form the prior message, I am interested in a full text retrieval
> engine.

It is called contrib/fulltextindex.  Does someone want to suggest a
better name?

Date:
On Mon, 24 May 1999, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > What's it called?  I only see some tcl frontend stuff.  Despite my
> > pessimism form the prior message, I am interested in a full text retrieval
> > engine.
>
> It is called contrib/fulltextindex.  Does someone want to suggest a
> better name?

I didn't see it on the ftp site.  I only saw pgv and tcldb in the contrib
directory.

Brett W. McCoy
                                         http://www.lan2wan.com/~bmccoy
Cabbage, n.:
    A familiar kitchen-garden vegetable about as large and wise as
a man's head.

reedstrm@wallace.ece.rice.edu (Ross J. Reedstrom)
Date:
> On Mon, 24 May 1999, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > > What's it called?  I only see some tcl frontend stuff.  Despite my
> > > pessimism form the prior message, I am interested in a full text retrieval
> > > engine.
> >
> > It is called contrib/fulltextindex.  Does someone want to suggest a
> > better name?
>
> I didn't see it on the ftp site.  I only saw pgv and tcldb in the contrib
> directory.

Ah, here's the problem. Bruce means the contrib directory in the
source distribution, which is at the top level, right beside src
(were the core of postgresql lives). It's pgsql/contrib, if you
do a CVS checkout. I'm not sure where it ends up in various binary
packages. (/usr/lib/postgresql/contrib on my Debian Linux install,
for example, has parts of it,m but not the whole thing)

Ross
NSBRI Research Scientist/Programmer

Re: [GENERAL] Full Text Searches

Date:
> On Mon, 24 May 1999, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > > What's it called?  I only see some tcl frontend stuff.  Despite my
> > > pessimism form the prior message, I am interested in a full text retrieval
> > > engine.
> >
> > It is called contrib/fulltextindex.  Does someone want to suggest a
> > better name?
>
> I didn't see it on the ftp site.  I only saw pgv and tcldb in the contrib
> directory.

Sorry, I meant in the distribution's contrib directory, not the ftp
site.  I didn't even know we had a contrib directory on the ftp site.

Date:
On Mon, 24 May 1999, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Sorry, I meant in the distribution's contrib directory, not the ftp
> site.  I didn't even know we had a contrib directory on the ftp site.

Wel, you do now!  Thanks!  I'll check it out!

Brett W. McCoy
                                         http://www.lan2wan.com/~bmccoy
Once, adv.:
    Enough.

Outer joins

From
Kaare Rasmussen
Date:
Going through the documentation I can only find little about outer
joins. One statement is in the Changes doc about including syntax for
outer joins, but there doesn't seem to be implemented any code after
that.

Is it true that there's no outer joins yet? Any plans? Btw. what is the
syntax for outer joins. I know only Oracle's (+) operator.

Re: [GENERAL] Full Text Searches

From
"Brett W. McCoy"
Date:
Hey, found the module.  Looks pretty interesting -- even has the
capability of ignoring stopwords.  This is just what I am looking for!

Brett W. McCoy
                                         http://www.lan2wan.com/~bmccoy
"What's the use of a good quotation if you can't change it?"
        -- Dr. Who

Re: [GENERAL] Full Text Searches

From
Lincoln Spiteri
Date:
He means the contrib directory in the source tree not the one on the ftp site.

On Mon, 24 May 1999, bmccoy@lan2wan.com wrote:
> On Mon, 24 May 1999, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > > What's it called?  I only see some tcl frontend stuff.  Despite my
> > > pessimism form the prior message, I am interested in a full text retrieval
> > > engine.
> >
> > It is called contrib/fulltextindex.  Does someone want to suggest a
> > better name?
>
> I didn't see it on the ftp site.  I only saw pgv and tcldb in the contrib
> directory.
>
> Brett W. McCoy
>                                          http://www.lan2wan.com/~bmccoy
> Cabbage, n.:
>     A familiar kitchen-garden vegetable about as large and wise as
> a man's head.
>         -- Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"

Lincoln Spiteri

Manufacturing Systems
STMicroelectronics, Malta

e-mail: lincoln.spiteri@st.com

Date:
On Mon, 24 May 1999, Lincoln Spiteri wrote:

> He means the contrib directory in the source tree not the one on the ftp site.

Yeah, we got that cleared up yesterday.

Brett W. McCoy
                                         http://www.lan2wan.com/~bmccoy
"Now this is a totally brain damaged algorithm.  Gag me with a
smurfette."
        -- P. Buhr, Computer Science 354

Re: [GENERAL] Full Text Searches

From
Lincoln Spiteri
Date:
Sorry, I got this in my mail this morning,

 Due to a problem in the European Internet Gateway yesterday (solved this
 morning by xxxxx ), outgoing internet emails will suffer huge delays.

 The queue should be fully processed during next european night.

Regards

Lincoln