Suggestion ...

From
Dave_Pfaltzgraff@patapsco.com

Dave Pfaltzgraff@PATAPSCO
10/18/2001 03:30 PM

I think having your documentation on-line is GREAT, but ... when I'm working, I
like to have a hard copy at my elbow with sticky notes, dog eared pages,
scribbled notes, ... the works. Yes, I know I can print a hard copy myself. I
did this for version 6.4, but it would appear that the latest has much more to
print - a VERY good sign! And the mere volume in 3-ring binders makes it quite
cumbersome!

Have you considered teaming up with a publisher to have hard copy available in
the standard 7" by 9" format? It could possibly be a source of revenue as well.
I know that if it were available, I'd be sure to have it on my bookshelf.

For a reference, I use the GIMP book which is available through Coriolis and it
was worth the cost even though the book is also available on-line. Another
possibility would be O'Reilly and I'm sure there are others.

Something to think a about ...

Regards,
Dave

Re: Suggestion ...

From
Vince Vielhaber
Date:
On Thu, 18 Oct 2001 Dave_Pfaltzgraff@patapsco.com wrote:

> I think having your documentation on-line is GREAT, but ... when I'm working, I
> like to have a hard copy at my elbow with sticky notes, dog eared pages,
> scribbled notes, ... the works. Yes, I know I can print a hard copy myself. I
> did this for version 6.4, but it would appear that the latest has much more to
> print - a VERY good sign! And the mere volume in 3-ring binders makes it quite
> cumbersome!
>
> Have you considered teaming up with a publisher to have hard copy available in
> the standard 7" by 9" format? It could possibly be a source of revenue as well.
> I know that if it were available, I'd be sure to have it on my bookshelf.
>
> For a reference, I use the GIMP book which is available through Coriolis and it
> was worth the cost even though the book is also available on-line. Another
> possibility would be O'Reilly and I'm sure there are others.
>
> Something to think a about ...

It certainly is.  A number of us even have ties to publishers.

Vince.

Re: Suggestion ...

From
"Ross J. Reedstrom"
Date:
On Fri, Oct 19, 2001 at 10:27:52AM -0400, Vince Vielhaber wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Oct 2001 Dave_Pfaltzgraff@patapsco.com wrote:
> > was worth the cost even though the book is also available on-line. Another
> > possibility would be O'Reilly and I'm sure there are others.
> >
> > Something to think a about ...
>
> It certainly is.  A number of us even have ties to publishers.

Not to want to cause problems with your publishers, but we might
want to think about by-passing the traditional distribution channel
completely. The problem being that the software moves so fast, publishers
get stuck with old stock. Another approach: some of us have ties with
Kinkos, which I could see working as a distributed 'just in time' print
service for the latest and greatest docs. We're doing it for a web
and print course materials project and it's working out very well. Of
course, we haven't done the actual prefect bound books with color covers,
either. Although, Kinkos tells us that they've got the facilities for it,
set up in Memphis - right next to FedEx ;-) I've always thought that this
is the way to go for Open Source/Free Software docs.

--
Ross Reedstrom, Ph.D.                                 reedstrm@rice.edu
Executive Director                                  phone: 713-348-6166

Re: Suggestion ...

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Ross J. Reedstrom writes:

> Another approach: some of us have ties with Kinkos, which I could see
> working as a distributed 'just in time' print service for the latest
> and greatest docs.

PS and PDF versions of the docs are freely available, so you're free to
take it to your favourite publisher or copy shop.  The real issue is
probably to get reasonable quality for a reasonable price through bulk
ordering, plus figuring out reasonable values for "reasonable", and that's
where someone has to assume a business responsibility.