Re: Suggestion ... - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Ross J. Reedstrom
Subject Re: Suggestion ...
Date
List pgsql-docs
On Fri, Oct 19, 2001 at 10:27:52AM -0400, Vince Vielhaber wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Oct 2001 Dave_Pfaltzgraff@patapsco.com wrote:
> > was worth the cost even though the book is also available on-line. Another
> > possibility would be O'Reilly and I'm sure there are others.
> >
> > Something to think a about ...
>
> It certainly is.  A number of us even have ties to publishers.

Not to want to cause problems with your publishers, but we might
want to think about by-passing the traditional distribution channel
completely. The problem being that the software moves so fast, publishers
get stuck with old stock. Another approach: some of us have ties with
Kinkos, which I could see working as a distributed 'just in time' print
service for the latest and greatest docs. We're doing it for a web
and print course materials project and it's working out very well. Of
course, we haven't done the actual prefect bound books with color covers,
either. Although, Kinkos tells us that they've got the facilities for it,
set up in Memphis - right next to FedEx ;-) I've always thought that this
is the way to go for Open Source/Free Software docs.

--
Ross Reedstrom, Ph.D.                                 reedstrm@rice.edu
Executive Director                                  phone: 713-348-6166