Not able to install Windows Version Yet

From
"Mac"
Date:
Hello

I am not able to use latest windows version .

Installer seems to have verious problems:

- It does not allow you to select a path!
- If your windows is on drive D it will install PostgreSQL on drive D but
all batch files have drive C: hardcoded in them!
- Service is not installed by default
- Database initialization (Creating Data directory etc) should be done by
installer (most of people do not know they should do it themselves)
- Even if you install postgres on your drive C: you are not able to run he
service (inside services MMC template).
- Trying to initialise database:

creating template1 database in /data/base/1... IpcSemaphoreCreate:
semget(key=1,
 num=17, 03600) failed: Function not implemented

- why we should chose a user for service? why installer does not chose it by
default (local system account for example)? If we should chose a user this
should normally be done in installer (also the same with database
initialization)

Overally my experience have been very painful in comparison to Oracle,
MS-SQL, MySQL and Linux version of PostgreSQL which drives me away from this
product.

In other side I have always been interested in developing my Windows
applictions over PostgreSQL database .

Anyway I will appereciate if someone can help me (forward me) to an article
etc which helps me to use windows version.

Also I will be happy to start a PostgreSQL forum on my site if you think it
can be useful. ( http://onlineprogrammer.org/forums )

Regards,
Mac
onlineprogrammer.org

Re: Not able to install Windows Version Yet

From
Christian Traber
Date:
Hi,

installing cygpic1.14 from
http://www.neuro.gatech.edu/users/cwilson/cygutils/cygipc/index.html
should solve your initdb problem.

Sorry, but I only know this german site with instructions.
http://www.itechy.de/itechy_org/postgresql/postgresql_cygwin.html

Maybe it helps,
Christian

Mac wrote:

>Hello
>
>I am not able to use latest windows version .
>
>Installer seems to have verious problems:
>
>- It does not allow you to select a path!
>- If your windows is on drive D it will install PostgreSQL on drive D but
>all batch files have drive C: hardcoded in them!
>- Service is not installed by default
>- Database initialization (Creating Data directory etc) should be done by
>installer (most of people do not know they should do it themselves)
>- Even if you install postgres on your drive C: you are not able to run he
>service (inside services MMC template).
>- Trying to initialise database:
>
>creating template1 database in /data/base/1... IpcSemaphoreCreate:
>semget(key=1,
> num=17, 03600) failed: Function not implemented
>
>- why we should chose a user for service? why installer does not chose it by
>default (local system account for example)? If we should chose a user this
>should normally be done in installer (also the same with database
>initialization)
>
>Overally my experience have been very painful in comparison to Oracle,
>MS-SQL, MySQL and Linux version of PostgreSQL which drives me away from this
>product.
>
>In other side I have always been interested in developing my Windows
>applictions over PostgreSQL database .
>
>Anyway I will appereciate if someone can help me (forward me) to an article
>etc which helps me to use windows version.
>
>Also I will be happy to start a PostgreSQL forum on my site if you think it
>can be useful. ( http://onlineprogrammer.org/forums )
>
>Regards,
>Mac
>onlineprogrammer.org

Re: Not able to install Windows Version Yet

From
stephan.michael.rupp@t-online.de
Date:
Hello, all,
hello, Mac,

I could add another hint that might be useful:
First, I had the same problems as you (producing the error message
mentioned by you***).
After that, I read somewhere not to install the "Curr" installation
(see the radio buttons in the top of the setup windows), but to take
the "Exp" installation - and all worked fine!

Regarding your problems with the C:\ hardcoded, I didn't (yet)
experience this.

Kind regards
Struppi

Am 19 Aug 2003 um 13:18 hat Christian Traber geschrieben:

> Hi,
>
> installing cygpic1.14 from
> http://www.neuro.gatech.edu/users/cwilson/cygutils/cygipc/index.html
> should solve your initdb problem.
>
> Sorry, but I only know this german site with instructions.
> http://www.itechy.de/itechy_org/postgresql/postgresql_cygwin.html
>
> Maybe it helps,
> Christian
>
> Mac wrote:
>
> >Hello
> >
> >I am not able to use latest windows version .
> >
> >Installer seems to have verious problems:
> >
> >- It does not allow you to select a path!
> >- If your windows is on drive D it will install PostgreSQL on drive D but
> >all batch files have drive C: hardcoded in them!
> >- Service is not installed by default
> >- Database initialization (Creating Data directory etc) should be done by
> >installer (most of people do not know they should do it themselves)
> >- Even if you install postgres on your drive C: you are not able to run he
> >service (inside services MMC template).
> >- Trying to initialise database:

***

--

Stephan Rupp
- Philologe / Netzwerkspezialist -
    stephan.michael.rupp@t-online.de

Re: Not able to install Windows Version Yet

From
"Mac"
Date:
Christian and Struppi

Thank you for your help.

I finally managed to run "initialise" program after downloading and
overwriting a single "cygpopt-0.dll" file.

The only remaining problem is that it seems services are up (ipc and
postgresql) but I can not make tcp connections. Perhaps tcp conections are
not active by default and I should activate a socket service?

Obviously no socket is listening on default port.

Mac

I could add another hint that might be useful:
First, I had the same problems as you (producing the error message
mentioned by you***).
After that, I read somewhere not to install the "Curr" installation
(see the radio buttons in the top of the setup windows), but to take
the "Exp" installation - and all worked fine!

Regarding your problems with the C:\ hardcoded, I didn't (yet)
experience this.

Kind regards
Struppi

Re: Not able to install Windows Version Yet

From
Jason Tishler
Date:
Mac,

[I would have responded sooner, but I have been on vacation.]

On Tue, Aug 19, 2003 at 03:38:49PM +0430, Mac wrote:
> I am not able to use latest windows version .
                              ^^^^^^^

By "windows" above, do you mean the Cygwin or Win32 version?  If the
former, then have you read the following?

    http://www.tishler.net/jason/software/postgresql/postgresql-7.3.4.README

If the latter, then sorry but I cannot help you.

Jason