XP Pro cygipc/PostgreSQL test report

From
Jason Tishler
Date:
Over the last few months, I have seen numerous posts on the Cygwin
PostgreSQL and Cygwin mailing lists indicating that cygipc and/or
PostgreSQL had problems running on XP Pro.

I finally got around to trying these packages on XP Pro for myself.
AFAICT, cygipc and PostgreSQL function on XP Pro identical to how they
function on the other NT platforms:

1. ipc-daemon runs properly as a direct NT service without the need to
   wrap it with cygrunsrv.

2. The basic Cygwin PostgreSQL installation works as expected. [1]

3. The NT services Cygwin PostgreSQL installation works as expected. [1]

Notes:

[1] Installations documented in the Cygwin PostgreSQL README:

    http://www.tishler.net/jason/software/postgresql/postgresql-7.3.2.README

Jason

Re: XP Pro cygipc/PostgreSQL test report

From
"Dave Page"
Date:
Hi Jason,

I thought it was XP Home that had problems? I've run on Pro for ages
with no issues - in fact that was what I regression tested 7.3 on during
the call for platforms in the beta.

Regards, Dave

http://archives.postgresql.org

Re: XP Pro cygipc/PostgreSQL test report

From
Jason Tishler
Date:
Dave,

On Tue, Apr 15, 2003 at 08:16:47PM +0100, Dave Page wrote:
> I thought it was XP Home that had problems?

Yes, XP Home had (and still has) reported problems.  But, I don't have
access to XP Home, so I cannot confirm or refute them.

> I've run on Pro for ages with no issues - in fact that was what I
> regression tested 7.3 on during the call for platforms in the beta.

Sorry, I forgot about the above.  However, I still recall many cygipc
and PostgreSQL problems reported on XP Pro.  So, I was just trying to
prevent more...

Jason

Re: XP Pro cygipc/PostgreSQL test report

From
"Dave Page"

Unfortunately neither do I.

> > I've run on Pro for ages with no issues - in fact that was what I
> > regression tested 7.3 on during the call for platforms in the beta.
>
> Sorry, I forgot about the above.  However, I still recall
> many cygipc and PostgreSQL problems reported on XP Pro.  So,
> I was just trying to prevent more...

OK, fair enough :-)

Regards, Dave.

Re: XP Pro cygipc/PostgreSQL test report

From
"Dave Page"

I thought I heard there were differences in the way you could specify
the user account used by services (specifically you couldn't)? I've
never used Home so may be completely off-track, but as Jason implies,
judging by posts to the pgsql-cygwin list there is definately something
different between home and pro causing the problem on home that don't
exist with pro.

Regards, Dave.

Re: XP Pro cygipc/PostgreSQL test report

From
"George Weaver"
Date:
I have installed PostgreSQL on both XP Pro and XP Home with success.

The only challenge seems to be installing PostgreSQL as a service, which can
be done effortlessly, but requires a user name with a password that can't be
blank (see attachment).  I can't see any difference in doing this between
the Pro and Home editions.

Regards,
George

> > Yes, XP Home had (and still has) reported problems.  But, I
> don't have
> > access to XP Home, so I cannot confirm or refute them.
>
> Sorry but I don't quite understand that.  XP Home is the same
> as XP Pro except for the user interface side and some minor
> services. Especially the OS kernel is the same.  No missing
> calls, no different behaviour.  From the Cygwin side of life,
> both are the same.

I thought I heard there were differences in the way you could specify
the user account used by services (specifically you couldn't)? I've
never used Home so may be completely off-track, but as Jason implies,
judging by posts to the pgsql-cygwin list there is definately something
different between home and pro causing the problem on home that don't
exist with pro.

Regards, Dave.

http://archives.postgresql.org

Attachment

Re: XP Pro cygipc/PostgreSQL test report

From
"Dave Page"
Date:
Thanks Karl (and George Weaver) for these notes.

Jason; seems like a useful addition to the readme don't you think?

Regards, Dave.

Date:
Corinna,

On Tue, Apr 15, 2003 at 10:07:05PM +0200, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 15, 2003 at 03:44:55PM -0400, Jason Tishler wrote:
> > On Tue, Apr 15, 2003 at 08:16:47PM +0100, Dave Page wrote:
> > > I thought it was XP Home that had problems?
> >
> > Yes, XP Home had (and still has) reported problems.
>
> Sorry but I don't quite understand that.

Me neither.  Nevertheless, there were reported problems.  See the first
three hits from the following Google search, if interested:

    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=site%3Apostgresql.org+kevin+xp+home

Jason

Re: XP Pro cygipc/PostgreSQL test report

From
Jason Tishler
Date:
George,

On Tue, Apr 15, 2003 at 06:00:29PM -0500, George Weaver wrote:
> I have installed PostgreSQL on both XP Pro and XP Home with success.
>
> The only challenge seems to be installing PostgreSQL as a service,
> which can be done effortlessly, but requires a user name with a
> password that can't be blank (see attachment).  I can't see any
> difference in doing this between the Pro and Home editions.

Thanks for the above.

BTW, did you need to use ntrights to assign the logon as a service right
under XP Home as indicated in the following?

Jason

Re: XP Pro cygipc/PostgreSQL test report

From
Jason Tishler
Date:
Karl,

On Tue, Apr 15, 2003 at 02:38:52PM -0700, Karl M wrote:
> In order to start services under a particular user account (Windows
> 2000, XP, for NT I don't remember) you must give the user the "login
> as a service" right.

BTW, it is needed for NT too.

> In XP Home Edition that is a bit tricky...you can't do it from the
> local security policy snap-in becuase it is not there. You have to use
> the program NTRights.exe to do it on XP Home Edition. This program is
> part of the Windows 2000 resource kit.
>
> After you assign the "logon as a service" right, you can run services
> under that user account just fine.

I thought the above would be the solution, but no one with XP Home
confirmed this in the past.  Thanks for your help.

Jason

Re: XP Pro cygipc/PostgreSQL test report

From
Jason Tishler
Date:
Dave,

On Wed, Apr 16, 2003 at 08:22:43AM +0100, Dave Page wrote:
> Jason; seems like a useful addition to the readme don't you think?

Yup!  Done!

    http://www.tishler.net/jason/software/postgresql/postgresql-7.3.2.README

Jason

Re: XP Pro cygipc/PostgreSQL test report

From
"George Weaver"
Date:
Hi Jason,

No I did not.  I have successfully installed PostgreSQL to run as a service
on XP Home and Pro, and NT4, without using ntrights.  The rights can be
assigned with the tools provided with XP Home and Pro as follows:

"To install postgresql as a service in XP it must be started by a user with
password, and the password can't be blank.  Make sure you define a user name
and password in the cygrunsrv command when you install postgresql as a
service.  If a postmaster.log file exists in "c:\cygwin\var\log" directory,
delete or rename it (this assumes that you've named the service
"postmaster").  Then go to the services menu (Start > Settings > Control
Panel > Administrative Tools > Services), and locate the postmaster service
in the listing of services.  Right click on the postmaster service and
choose Properties, then the "Log on" tab.  Choose "This account:" and enter
the appropriate login name and password.  If you started XP with this user
name and id, you should now be able to start the service.  If you haven't
started XP with this user name and password, do so, and the service should
start automatically when you log in." (posted to
<pgsql-cygwin@postgresql.org>
on March 16).

Regards,
George

> On Tue, Apr 15, 2003 at 06:00:29PM -0500, George Weaver wrote:
> > I have installed PostgreSQL on both XP Pro and XP Home with success.
> >
> > The only challenge seems to be installing PostgreSQL as a service,
> > which can be done effortlessly, but requires a user name with a
> > password that can't be blank (see attachment).  I can't see any
> > difference in doing this between the Pro and Home editions.
>
> Thanks for the above.
>
> BTW, did you need to use ntrights to assign the logon as a service right
> under XP Home as indicated in the following?
>
>     http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2003-04/msg01456.html
>
> Thanks,
> Jason
>
> --
> PGP/GPG Key: http://www.tishler.net/jason/pubkey.asc or key servers
> Fingerprint: 7A73 1405 7F2B E669 C19D  8784 1AFD E4CC ECF4 8EF6

Re: XP Pro cygipc/PostgreSQL test report

From
Jason Tishler
Date:
George,

On Wed, Apr 16, 2003 at 08:43:48AM -0500, George Weaver wrote:
> If you started XP with this user name and id, you should now be able
> to start the service.  If you haven't started XP with this user name
> and password, do so, and the service should start automatically when
> you log in." (posted to <pgsql-cygwin@postgresql.org> on March 16).

The above seems to imply that the service will only start upon login.
Is my interpretation correct?  If so, is there a way to get the service
to start at boot time (without ntrights)?

Thanks,
Jason

Re: XP Pro cygipc/PostgreSQL test report

From
"George Weaver"
Date:
Hi Jason,

As near as I can tell, the establishment of PostgreSQL as a service only
needs to be initially set up with a user name with a password.  After the
initial set up, that user doesn't need
to log on in order for the service to start.  In other words, if I INSTALL
PostgreSQL as a
service under George Weaver, password 123456,  I do not need to log in as
George Weaver for the service to start.  I can do a cold boot, log
in as Guest (no administrative privileges), and PostgreSQL is available to
me.

However, if I change the user name or password that installed PostgreSQL as
a service, it won't start as a service, giving the "The service did not
start due to a logon error" message.  From a non-computer expert, layman
standpoint, it appears that the service needs the security to know that at
one point in time, a properly authorized user installed it, and that user
still exists on the system.