pg_ctl -D "/absolute/path" -m fast restart - doesn't work in some cases

From
hubert depesz lubaczewski
Date:
hi,
I have 9.3beta1, and strange problem.

Have running slave pg in directory /home/test/test/slave:

=$ pwd
/home/test/test/slave

=$ cat postmaster.pid
16961
/home/test/test/slave
1368736261
5433
/tmp
*
  5433001   7241781

=$ ps uxf
USER       PID %CPU %MEM    VSZ   RSS TTY      STAT START   TIME COMMAND
test     16961  0.2  0.1 173528 12912 pts/7    S    22:31   0:00 /home/pgdba/work/bin/postgres -D test/slave
test     16970  0.0  0.0  27020   812 ?        Ss   22:31   0:00  \_ postgres: logger process
test     16971  4.0  0.0 173640  5724 ?        Ss   22:31   0:00  \_ postgres: startup process   recovering
00000001000000000000001B
test     17008  0.0  0.0 173528   972 ?        Ss   22:31   0:00  \_ postgres: checkpointer process
test     17009  0.0  0.0 173528  1244 ?        Ss   22:31   0:00  \_ postgres: writer process
test     17028  0.0  0.0  29116   888 ?        Ss   22:31   0:00  \_ postgres: stats collector process
test     17029  2.8  0.0 190652  4232 ?        Ds   22:31   0:00  \_ postgres: wal receiver process   streaming
0/1B7917E0

All looks fine. But when I'll try to restart it:

=$ pg_ctl -D $( pwd ) -m fast restart
waiting for server to shut down.... done
server stopped
server starting
postgres cannot access the server configuration file "/home/test/test/slave/test/slave/postgresql.conf": No such file
ordirectory

The problem doesn't exist when I'd start pg with:
1. cd test/slave; pg_ctl -D . start
or
2. pg_ctl -D /home/test/test/slave start

only when Pg is started with relative path, and restarted with absolute, the
problem shows.

I know that it's probably not a big deal for most of the people, but it
did bite me, so I'm reporting it.

Best regards,

depesz

--
The best thing about modern society is how easy it is to avoid contact with it.
                                                             http://depesz.com/

Re: pg_ctl -D "/absolute/path" -m fast restart - doesn't work in some cases

From
Josh Kupershmidt
Date:
On Thu, May 16, 2013 at 4:34 PM, hubert depesz lubaczewski
<depesz@depesz.com> wrote:

> =$ pg_ctl -D $( pwd ) -m fast restart
> waiting for server to shut down.... done
> server stopped
> server starting
> postgres cannot access the server configuration file "/home/test/test/slave/test/slave/postgresql.conf": No such file
ordirectory

> The problem doesn't exist when I'd start pg with:
> 1. cd test/slave; pg_ctl -D . start
> or
> 2. pg_ctl -D /home/test/test/slave start
>
> only when Pg is started with relative path, and restarted with absolute, the
> problem shows.
>
> I know that it's probably not a big deal for most of the people, but it
> did bite me, so I'm reporting it.

It has been a nuisance for me too. Possible patch for pg_ctl is in the next CF:
  http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAK3UJRFK8-izAU1SMpNZr5Muc+6CRWBk0_7ByJnwUoapj3esFQ@mail.gmail.com

Josh

Re: pg_ctl -D "/absolute/path" -m fast restart - doesn't work in some cases

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Josh Kupershmidt escribi=F3:
> On Thu, May 16, 2013 at 4:34 PM, hubert depesz lubaczewski
> <depesz@depesz.com> wrote:

> > only when Pg is started with relative path, and restarted with absolu=
te, the
> > problem shows.

> It has been a nuisance for me too. Possible patch for pg_ctl is in the =
next CF:
>   http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAK3UJRFK8-izAU1SMpNZr5Muc+6CRWB=
k0_7ByJnwUoapj3esFQ@mail.gmail.com

Um, if this is a bug introduced during the 9.3 timeframe surely we
ought to fix it now instead of waiting for the CF.

--=20
=C1lvaro Herrera                http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/

Date:
On czw, maj 16, 2013 at 05:55:54 -0400, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> > > only when Pg is started with relative path, and restarted with absolute, the
> > > problem shows.
> > It has been a nuisance for me too. Possible patch for pg_ctl is in the next CF:
> >   http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAK3UJRFK8-izAU1SMpNZr5Muc+6CRWBk0_7ByJnwUoapj3esFQ@mail.gmail.com
> Um, if this is a bug introduced during the 9.3 timeframe surely we
> ought to fix it now instead of waiting for the CF.

Apparently not. Retried with 9.1.9, and got exactly same result:

=$ pg_ctl -D q -l logfile start
server starting

=$ cd q

=$ pg_ctl -D $( pwd ) -m fast restart
waiting for server to shut down.... done
server stopped
server starting
postgres cannot access the server configuration file "/home/depesz/q/q/postgresql.conf": No such file or directory

Best regards,

depesz
> Um, if this is a bug introduced during the 9.3 timeframe surely we
> ought to fix it now instead of waiting for the CF.

I think it's been that way all along.  Nonetheless, if you feel
motivated to review the patch now, there's nothing wrong with that.

> Josh Kupershmidt escribi=F3:
>> On Thu, May 16, 2013 at 4:34 PM, hubert depesz lubaczewski
>> <depesz@depesz.com> wrote:
>>> only when Pg is started with relative path, and restarted with absolu=
te, the
>>> problem shows.
>> It has been a nuisance for me too. Possible patch for pg_ctl is in the=
 next CF:
>>    http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAK3UJRFK8-izAU1SMpNZr5Muc+6CR=
WBk0_7ByJnwUoapj3esFQ@mail.gmail.com
> Um, if this is a bug introduced during the 9.3 timeframe surely we
> ought to fix it now instead of waiting for the CF.

Sorry for diverting the thread but if bugfixes are urgent, you can also l=
ook at
http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CABUevEwx2DQT45x1pHHdzD_khy8HZ5A9Xo9=
5XVGHou2ZTyNx2A@mail.gmail.com
and the fix at https://commitfest.postgresql.org/action/patch_view?id=3D1=
085
The CF in progress at the time was already closed for new patches.

There are other patches marked as a bugfix, like:
https://commitfest.postgresql.org/action/patch_view?id=3D1087
https://commitfest.postgresql.org/action/patch_view?id=3D1076
https://commitfest.postgresql.org/action/patch_view?id=3D1081

Best regards,
Zolt=E1n B=F6sz=F6rm=E9nyi

--=20
----------------------------------
Zolt=E1n B=F6sz=F6rm=E9nyi
Cybertec Sch=F6nig & Sch=F6nig GmbH
Gr=F6hrm=FChlgasse 26
A-2700 Wiener Neustadt, Austria
Web: http://www.postgresql-support.de
      http://www.postgresql.at/
On 17.05.2013 11:57, Boszormenyi Zoltan wrote:
> Sorry for diverting the thread but if bugfixes are urgent, you can also
> look at
> http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CABUevEwx2DQT45x1pHHdzD_khy8HZ5A9Xo95XVGHou2ZTyNx2A@mail.gmail.com
>
> and the fix at https://commitfest.postgresql.org/action/patch_view?id=1085
> The CF in progress at the time was already closed for new patches.

[pg_basebackup with -R option and start standby have problems with
escaped password]

I replied to that now. Let's get that fixed before next beta.

> There are other patches marked as a bugfix, like:
> https://commitfest.postgresql.org/action/patch_view?id=1087
[backend hangs at immediate shutdown]

The question here is do we want to take the risk and apply this, at this
late stage? On a cursory look, I understand it well enough to have an
opinion.

> https://commitfest.postgresql.org/action/patch_view?id=1076
[fixing pg_ctl with relative paths]

Seems reasonable, and I think we should apply this now, to 9.3. The
issue with embedded quotes is pretty scary though, maybe we should dig a
bit deeper into that to get that fixed too.

> https://commitfest.postgresql.org/action/patch_view?id=1081

I don't know ldap well enough to comment, but I think we should fix this
now, in 9.3, if we want to do this at all.

- Heikki