Postgresql problem in AIX 5.3

From
"Kelvin Lau"
Date:
Dear Sir/Madam,

I have a question regarding Postgresql on AIX 5.3's compatibility, since th=
ere are reported problems for this combination in newsgroup. I have also tr=
ied to install it also. The installation was successful and there was a mes=
sage indicating that. However, when I ran the command 'createdb xythos', th=
ere was error:
createdb: could not connect to database template1: FATAL: unsupported front=
end protocol 0.0: server supports 1.0 to 3.0
Several versions (Posgresql 7.4.8, 8.0.0, 8.0.3) had been tried but the res=
ults were the same.=20
Is Postgresql on AIX 5.3 supported? If yes, why there is such error and how=
 to avoid?

Regards,
Kelvin

Re: Postgresql problem in AIX 5.3

Date:
"Kelvin Lau" <kelvin.lau@sas.com> writes:
> createdb: could not connect to database template1: FATAL: unsupported frontend protocol 0.0: server supports 1.0 to
3.0

This is a known problem caused by a bug in the system header files that
IBM supplies.  There may by now be an update available from IBM to fix
their error, or you can manually patch the header files and recompile
Postgres.  See the list archives for details, eg
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-ports/2005-05/msg00021.php

            regards, tom lane

Re: Postgresql problem in AIX 5.3

From
Chris Browne
Date:
kelvin.lau@sas.com ("Kelvin Lau") writes:
> I have a question regarding Postgresql on AIX 5.3's compatibility, since there are reported problems for this
combinationin newsgroup. I have also tried to install it also. The installation was successful and there was a message
indicatingthat. However, when I ran the command 'createdb xythos', there was error:
> createdb: could not connect to database template1: FATAL: unsupported frontend protocol 0.0: server supports 1.0 to
3.0
> Several versions (Posgresql 7.4.8, 8.0.0, 8.0.3) had been tried but the results were the same.
> Is Postgresql on AIX 5.3 supported? If yes, why there is such error and how to avoid?

Have you read the FAQ?

This issue results from a bug introduced in AIX 5.3.  See the FAQ
entry on this at the URL below.

<http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faqs.FAQ_AIX.html>
--
"cbbrowne","@","acm.org"