pg_dump Crashes and core dumps

From
Shibashish
Date:
                        POSTGRESQL BUG REPORT TEMPLATE

Your name               : Shibashish
Your email address      : shib@postmark.net

System Configuration
---------------------
  Architecture (example: Intel Pentium)         : Intel Pentium II

  Operating System (example: Linux 2.0.26 ELF)  : SCO_SV (SCO Open Server
5.0.4)

  PostgreSQL version (example: PostgreSQL-7.3):   PostgreSQL-7.3.1

  Compiler used (example:  gcc 2.95.2)          : gcc 2.7.2.1

I have 2 databases. "test" and "working"
There r 39 tables in "test", very less data in them.
There r 40 tables in "working" and there is some data, not too much. And
there are referential integrety ocnstraints between the data.

When i do a "pg_dump test" it works fine.
But When i do a "pg_dump working" I get "Segmentation fault (core dumped)"

If anybody wants, i can send the core file. Any help will be highly
appreciated.

Re: pg_dump Crashes and core dumps

Date:
Shibashish <shiba@it.iitb.ac.in> writes:
> When i do a "pg_dump test" it works fine.
> But When i do a "pg_dump working" I get "Segmentation fault (core dumped)"
> If anybody wants, i can send the core file. Any help will be highly
> appreciated.

The core file will be useless away from your own system.

Could we see a stack backtrace from it, instead?  (Please compile with
debug symbols if you didn't already.)  Also, please run pg_dump with
query logging enabled (see log_statement in postgresql.conf) so that you
can show us the last few queries it issues before crashing.

            regards, tom lane

Re: pg_dump Crashes and core dumps

Date:
Shibashish <shiba@it.iitb.ac.in> writes:
> When i do a "pg_dump test" it works fine.
> But When i do a "pg_dump working" I get "Segmentation fault (core dumped)"

Olivier Prenant just found a problem that could lead to pg_dump trouble
with any database using PL languages.  Try the attached patch and see if
it fixes your problem.

            regards, tom lane

*** src/bin/pg_dump/pg_dump.c.orig    Thu Apr 24 22:28:22 2003
--- src/bin/pg_dump/pg_dump.c    Sat May  3 18:09:51 2003
***************
*** 3591,3597 ****
          resetPQExpBuffer(delqry);

          /* Make a dependency to ensure function is dumped first */
!         deps = malloc(sizeof(char *) * (2 + (strcmp(lanvalidator, "0") != 0) ? 1 : 0));
          depIdx = 0;

          (*deps)[depIdx++] = strdup(lanplcallfoid);
--- 3591,3597 ----
          resetPQExpBuffer(delqry);

          /* Make a dependency to ensure function is dumped first */
!         deps = malloc(sizeof(char *) * 10);