Meet-up in Santiago, Chile

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Hi all,

I'm organizing a meetup event on Thursday 28 (tomorrow).  I have set up
a meetup account and event here,
  http://www.meetup.com/es/Postgres-Santiago-CL/events/230531926/
which turned up a lot better than I initially expected (I created this
on Thursday 21; I didn't expect it would fill up so quickly.  I was
thinking maybe 10 guys would come!).

I would like some community funding help for this.  How exactly does one
go about that?

--
Álvaro Herrera

Re: Meet-up in Santiago, Chile

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
On 04/27/2016 08:23 AM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> I'm organizing a meetup event on Thursday 28 (tomorrow).  I have set up
> a meetup account and event here,
>   http://www.meetup.com/es/Postgres-Santiago-CL/events/230531926/
> which turned up a lot better than I initially expected (I created this
> on Thursday 21; I didn't expect it would fill up so quickly.  I was
> thinking maybe 10 guys would come!).
>
> I would like some community funding help for this.  How exactly does one
> go about that?

The funds group that organizes the access to the SPI funds should be
able to help with this.

Re: Meet-up in Santiago, Chile

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> On 04/27/2016 08:23 AM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> > I'm organizing a meetup event on Thursday 28 (tomorrow).  I have set up
> > a meetup account and event here,
> >   http://www.meetup.com/es/Postgres-Santiago-CL/events/230531926/
> > which turned up a lot better than I initially expected (I created this
> > on Thursday 21; I didn't expect it would fill up so quickly.  I was
> > thinking maybe 10 guys would come!).
> >
> > I would like some community funding help for this.  How exactly does one
> > go about that?
>
> The funds group that organizes the access to the SPI funds should be
> able to help with this.

That's what I thought too; I see regular offers to help funding first
meetings to PUGs when people ask here about starting a PUG in their
city.  I emailed funds@postgresql.org but got absolutely no response
back.  I still hope to get some money back.

BTW people were extremely happy with the event.  Somebody offered a room
for free at their workplace for future repeats.  This one was expensive.

Re: Meet-up in Santiago, Chile

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
On 04/29/2016 10:34 PM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> That's what I thought too; I see regular offers to help funding first
> meetings to PUGs when people ask here about starting a PUG in their
> city.  I emailed funds@postgresql.org but got absolutely no response
> back.

It's <funds-group@postgresql.org>.

Re: Meet-up in Santiago, Chile

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
>> That's what I thought too; I see regular offers to help funding first
>> meetings to PUGs when people ask here about starting a PUG in their
>> city.  I emailed funds@postgresql.org but got absolutely no response
>> back.
>
> It's <funds-group@postgresql.org>.

Actually it is jdrake@postgresql.org.

https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/SponsorShip

Sincerely,

JD

                         +1-503-667-4564

Re: Meet-up in Santiago, Chile

From
Robert Haas
Date:
On Mon, May 2, 2016 at 12:30 PM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
>> It's <funds-group@postgresql.org>.
>
> Actually it is jdrake@postgresql.org.
>
> https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/SponsorShip

No offense JD, but surely anything as important as "who gets the
community's money" should be under the control of a group, not an
individual.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: Meet-up in Santiago, Chile

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
On 05/02/2016 09:43 AM, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Mon, May 2, 2016 at 12:30 PM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
>>> It's <funds-group@postgresql.org>.
>>
>> Actually it is jdrake@postgresql.org.
>>
>> https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/SponsorShip
>
> No offense JD, but surely anything as important as "who gets the
> community's money" should be under the control of a group, not an
> individual.

The only offense is that you didn't bother to read the page that I linked :P

I am the SPI Liaison, I have been for 10 years. My job is essentially
treasurer of PostgreSQL.Org. The Funds Group oversees my work and -Core
oversees the Funds Group.

tl;dr; There is a group that oversees community funds.

Sincerely,

JD

                         +1-503-667-4564

Re: Meet-up in Santiago, Chile

From
Josh berkus
Date:
JD,

Didn't we put up an application form at some point?  What happened to that?

Josh Berkus
Red Hat OSAS
(any opinions are my own)

Re: Meet-up in Santiago, Chile

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
On 05/02/2016 09:55 AM, Josh berkus wrote:
> JD,
>
> Didn't we put up an application form at some point?  What happened to that?

Not that I recall, although that would be a nice way to make sure we get
all pertinent information in the first go around. Once the new website
is up it will be easier to get those types of things.

JD

                         +1-503-667-4564

Re: Meet-up in Santiago, Chile

From
Josh berkus
Date:
On 05/02/2016 10:04 AM, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> On 05/02/2016 09:55 AM, Josh berkus wrote:
>> JD,
>>
>> Didn't we put up an application form at some point?  What happened to
>> that?
>>

> Not that I recall, although that would be a nice way to make sure we get
> all pertinent information in the first go around. Once the new website
> is up it will be easier to get those types of things.

New website?

Josh Berkus
Red Hat OSAS
(any opinions are my own)

Re: Meet-up in Santiago, Chile

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
On 05/02/2016 10:18 AM, Josh berkus wrote:
> On 05/02/2016 10:04 AM, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>> On 05/02/2016 09:55 AM, Josh berkus wrote:
>>> JD,
>>>
>>> Didn't we put up an application form at some point?  What happened to
>>> that?
>>>

>> Not that I recall, although that would be a nice way to make sure we get
>> all pertinent information in the first go around. Once the new website
>> is up it will be easier to get those types of things.
>
> New website?

Yes, there is a web team (not to be confused with -www) that is in the
process of developing a new website on an updated version of Django.

JD

                         +1-503-667-4564

Re: Meet-up in Santiago, Chile

From
Robert Haas
Date:
On Mon, May 2, 2016 at 12:53 PM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> The only offense is that you didn't bother to read the page that I linked :P
>
> I am the SPI Liaison, I have been for 10 years. My job is essentially
> treasurer of PostgreSQL.Org. The Funds Group oversees my work and -Core
> oversees the Funds Group.

I still maintain it would be more appropriate for proposals to be
submitted to a group that votes on them, rather than an individual.

--

Date:
On 05/02/2016 12:50 PM, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Mon, May 2, 2016 at 12:53 PM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
>> The only offense is that you didn't bother to read the page that I linked :P
>>
>> I am the SPI Liaison, I have been for 10 years. My job is essentially
>> treasurer of PostgreSQL.Org. The Funds Group oversees my work and -Core
>> oversees the Funds Group.
>
> I still maintain it would be more appropriate for proposals to be
> submitted to a group that votes on them, rather than an individual.

Robert,

They are submitted for discussion.

Thank you for your time,

JD

                         +1-503-667-4564

Re: Meet-up in Santiago, Chile

From
Josh berkus
Date:
On 05/02/2016 12:50 PM, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Mon, May 2, 2016 at 12:53 PM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
>> The only offense is that you didn't bother to read the page that I linked :P
>>
>> I am the SPI Liaison, I have been for 10 years. My job is essentially
>> treasurer of PostgreSQL.Org. The Funds Group oversees my work and -Core
>> oversees the Funds Group.
>
> I still maintain it would be more appropriate for proposals to be
> submitted to a group that votes on them, rather than an individual.

I think the plan for this is to have a webform.  I agree that sending
them to an individual is error-prone; sometimes I get them while
travelling and as a result they get lost in my email.

If that'll be easier to do, and WWW wants it on the main site, later,
then sure.

Josh Berkus
Red Hat OSAS
(any opinions are my own)