GSoC 2016

From
Thom Brown
Date:
Hi all,

This is just an FYI that I'm planning on registering PostgreSQL with
Google Summer of Code 2016.

Regards

Thom

Re: GSoC 2016

From
Atri Sharma

Please count me in for mentor.

Regards,

Atri

On 19 Feb 2016 10:59 am, "Thom Brown" <thom@linux.com> wrote:
Hi all,

This is just an FYI that I'm planning on registering PostgreSQL with
Google Summer of Code 2016.

Regards

Thom

Re: GSoC 2016

From
Alexander Korotkov
Date:
Hi!

Assuming a got no answer from you in hackers and application deadline is today, I've started to filling organization application myself.
I've sent you an admin invitation. If you would like to sent new application from scratch, let me know and I'll delete my application.

------
Alexander Korotkov
The Russian Postgres Company

This is just an FYI that I'm planning on registering PostgreSQL with
Google Summer of Code 2016.

Regards

Thom

Re: GSoC 2016

From
Alexander Korotkov
Date:
BTW, you can count me as mentor.

------
Alexander Korotkov
The Russian Postgres Company

Assuming a got no answer from you in hackers and application deadline is today, I've started to filling organization application myself.
I've sent you an admin invitation. If you would like to sent new application from scratch, let me know and I'll delete my application.

------
Alexander Korotkov
The Russian Postgres Company

This is just an FYI that I'm planning on registering PostgreSQL with
Google Summer of Code 2016.

Regards

Thom

Re: GSoC 2016

From
Thom Brown
Date:
On 19 February 2016 at 15:07, Alexander Korotkov
<a.korotkov@postgrespro.ru> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Assuming a got no answer from you in hackers and application deadline is
> today, I've started to filling organization application myself.
> I've sent you an admin invitation. If you would like to sent new application
> from scratch, let me know and I'll delete my application.

Actually, I submitted the requested shortly after sending my email,
but thanks for covering this in case I had forgot.  So yes, you can
delete the application.

Thanks

Thom

Re: GSoC 2016

From
Alexander Korotkov
Date:
On Fri, Feb 19, 2016 at 1:20 PM, Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> wrote:
On 19 February 2016 at 15:07, Alexander Korotkov
<a.korotkov@postgrespro.ru> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Assuming a got no answer from you in hackers and application deadline is
> today, I've started to filling organization application myself.
> I've sent you an admin invitation. If you would like to sent new application
> from scratch, let me know and I'll delete my application.

Actually, I submitted the requested shortly after sending my email,
but thanks for covering this in case I had forgot.  So yes, you can
delete the application.

OK, I've my application deleted.

------
Alexander Korotkov
The Russian Postgres Company

Re: GSoC 2016

From
Stephen Frost
Date:
Thom,

* Thom Brown (thom@linux.com) wrote:
> On 19 February 2016 at 15:07, Alexander Korotkov
> <a.korotkov@postgrespro.ru> wrote:
> > Assuming a got no answer from you in hackers and application deadline is
> > today, I've started to filling organization application myself.
> > I've sent you an admin invitation. If you would like to sent new application
> > from scratch, let me know and I'll delete my application.
>
> Actually, I submitted the requested shortly after sending my email,
> but thanks for covering this in case I had forgot.  So yes, you can
> delete the application.

Were we declined as an organization..?  I don't see PG listed, which is
quite disappointing.

I was hoping to visit the student-run Computing & Technology group at my
alma mater (George Mason University) to see about scaring up some PG
GSoC students (and/or interns to work with me over the summer...).

Thanks!

Stephen

Attachment

Re: GSoC 2016

From
Thom Brown
Date:
On 15 March 2016 at 23:22, Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
> Thom,
>
> * Thom Brown (thom@linux.com) wrote:
>> On 19 February 2016 at 15:07, Alexander Korotkov
>> <a.korotkov@postgrespro.ru> wrote:
>> > Assuming a got no answer from you in hackers and application deadline is
>> > today, I've started to filling organization application myself.
>> > I've sent you an admin invitation. If you would like to sent new application
>> > from scratch, let me know and I'll delete my application.
>>
>> Actually, I submitted the requested shortly after sending my email,
>> but thanks for covering this in case I had forgot.  So yes, you can
>> delete the application.
>
> Were we declined as an organization..?  I don't see PG listed, which is
> quite disappointing.
>
> I was hoping to visit the student-run Computing & Technology group at my
> alma mater (George Mason University) to see about scaring up some PG
> GSoC students (and/or interns to work with me over the summer...).

Yes, unfortunately we didn't make it this year.  We think it's
because, for the first time this year, they've asked us to put a lot
more detail, timescales and difficulty levels on all the project
ideas, and this was requested with very little notice, and we didn't
manage to get it done in time.

Thom

Re: GSoC 2016

From
Stephen Frost
Date:
* Thom Brown (thom@linux.com) wrote:
> Yes, unfortunately we didn't make it this year.  We think it's
> because, for the first time this year, they've asked us to put a lot
> more detail, timescales and difficulty levels on all the project
> ideas, and this was requested with very little notice, and we didn't
> manage to get it done in time.

Alright.  I'm going to put together a more concrete list of ideas which
we can target for GSoC students next year.

Can you provide the specifics as to what they were looking for?

Thanks!

Stephen

Attachment

Re: GSoC 2016

From
Thom Brown
Date:
On 15 March 2016 at 23:37, Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
> * Thom Brown (thom@linux.com) wrote:
>> Yes, unfortunately we didn't make it this year.  We think it's
>> because, for the first time this year, they've asked us to put a lot
>> more detail, timescales and difficulty levels on all the project
>> ideas, and this was requested with very little notice, and we didn't
>> manage to get it done in time.
>
> Alright.  I'm going to put together a more concrete list of ideas which
> we can target for GSoC students next year.
>
> Can you provide the specifics as to what they were looking for?

To quote: "We look for the Ideas to be written out with a few
sentences and then the skills/reqs listed, difficulty level, potential
mentors, expected outcomes, etc."

Thom

Re: GSoC 2016

From
Stephen Frost
Date:
* Thom Brown (thom@linux.com) wrote:
> On 15 March 2016 at 23:37, Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
> > * Thom Brown (thom@linux.com) wrote:
> >> Yes, unfortunately we didn't make it this year.  We think it's
> >> because, for the first time this year, they've asked us to put a lot
> >> more detail, timescales and difficulty levels on all the project
> >> ideas, and this was requested with very little notice, and we didn't
> >> manage to get it done in time.
> >
> > Alright.  I'm going to put together a more concrete list of ideas which
> > we can target for GSoC students next year.
> >
> > Can you provide the specifics as to what they were looking for?
>
> To quote: "We look for the Ideas to be written out with a few
> sentences and then the skills/reqs listed, difficulty level, potential
> mentors, expected outcomes, etc."

Ok, great, thanks.

Looking at some of the other projects, they use things like the Github
issue tracking system to capture and track that detail.  Not sure if we
want to do that, but something to consider.

Thanks again!

Stephen

Attachment

Re: GSoC 2016

From
Josh berkus
Date:
On 03/15/2016 04:56 PM, Thom Brown wrote:
> On 15 March 2016 at 23:37, Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
>> * Thom Brown (thom@linux.com) wrote:
>>> Yes, unfortunately we didn't make it this year.  We think it's
>>> because, for the first time this year, they've asked us to put a lot
>>> more detail, timescales and difficulty levels on all the project
>>> ideas, and this was requested with very little notice, and we didn't
>>> manage to get it done in time.
>>
>> Alright.  I'm going to put together a more concrete list of ideas which
>> we can target for GSoC students next year.
>>
>> Can you provide the specifics as to what they were looking for?
>
> To quote: "We look for the Ideas to be written out with a few
> sentences and then the skills/reqs listed, difficulty level, potential
> mentors, expected outcomes, etc."

Here's what we used for Fedora, which got accepted (and also involved a
last-day major effort):

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Summer_coding_ideas_for_2016

To be fair to Google, I think they did post the new requirements a
couple weeks ahead.  However, those of us who've done GSOC for years
didn't really pay attention, and they didn't really highlight that the
requirements were different.

What this means is that fro 2017, Postgres would need to have a team
working on the initial application, not just Thom.

Josh Berkus
Red Hat OSAS
(any opinions are my own)