Re: GSoC 2016 - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Josh berkus
Subject Re: GSoC 2016
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On 03/15/2016 04:56 PM, Thom Brown wrote:
> On 15 March 2016 at 23:37, Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
>> * Thom Brown (thom@linux.com) wrote:
>>> Yes, unfortunately we didn't make it this year.  We think it's
>>> because, for the first time this year, they've asked us to put a lot
>>> more detail, timescales and difficulty levels on all the project
>>> ideas, and this was requested with very little notice, and we didn't
>>> manage to get it done in time.
>>
>> Alright.  I'm going to put together a more concrete list of ideas which
>> we can target for GSoC students next year.
>>
>> Can you provide the specifics as to what they were looking for?
>
> To quote: "We look for the Ideas to be written out with a few
> sentences and then the skills/reqs listed, difficulty level, potential
> mentors, expected outcomes, etc."

Here's what we used for Fedora, which got accepted (and also involved a
last-day major effort):

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Summer_coding_ideas_for_2016

To be fair to Google, I think they did post the new requirements a
couple weeks ahead.  However, those of us who've done GSOC for years
didn't really pay attention, and they didn't really highlight that the
requirements were different.

What this means is that fro 2017, Postgres would need to have a team
working on the initial application, not just Thom.

Josh Berkus
Red Hat OSAS
(any opinions are my own)