Oracle's Biggest Database Foe - Could it be ....

From
Renee Deger
Date:
Postgres?!

EDB put out yesterday an announcement about the findings from a survey we did to examine user trends of the open source PostgreSQL and perhaps fuel some conversation. (We'll be doing a blog tomorrow with more data)

Matt Asay in TechRepublic, a well-respected database industry watcher whose articles are well read and widely followed, wrote about the survey results and the trend of open source chipping away at Oracle:

Renee Deger
Director, Corporate Communications

Office: 781-357-3090
Skype ID: renee.deger1

Re: Oracle's Biggest Database Foe - Could it be ....

From
David Fetter
Date:
On Wed, Jun 24, 2015 at 12:41:22PM -0400, Renee Deger wrote:
> Postgres?!

That's delightful, I suppose, but a lot of us don't get up in the
morning thinking about our "competitors,"[1] or at least I don't.  I
think about making PostgreSQL awesome for the people who will
eventually use it, and if "competitors" happen not to be happy in the
process, it's really not my concern one way or the other.

Cheers,
David.

[1] What does that word even mean in the context of a software project
with no single company behind it and license terms that have helped
people spawn multiple billion-dollar proprietary forks?

Remember to vote!

Re: Oracle's Biggest Database Foe - Could it be ....

From
Renee Deger
Date:
I understand where you are coming from. But put aside the headline ... this article is about multiple indicators that more people are using Postgres. That's what's most important here. That the hard work we're doing, making PostgreSQL awesome, (and I say we because of so many community folks here at EDB), is recognized by users.

On Thu, Jun 25, 2015 at 8:44 AM, David Fetter <david@fetter.org> wrote:
On Wed, Jun 24, 2015 at 12:41:22PM -0400, Renee Deger wrote:
> Postgres?!

That's delightful, I suppose, but a lot of us don't get up in the
morning thinking about our "competitors,"[1] or at least I don't.  I
think about making PostgreSQL awesome for the people who will
eventually use it, and if "competitors" happen not to be happy in the
process, it's really not my concern one way or the other.

Cheers,
David.

[1] What does that word even mean in the context of a software project
with no single company behind it and license terms that have helped
people spawn multiple billion-dollar proprietary forks?
Phone: +1 415 235 3778  AIM: dfetter666  Yahoo!: dfetter
Skype: davidfetter      XMPP: david.fetter@gmail.com

Remember to vote!