Comparison of PostgreSQL with other top 3 DBMS

From
pk@postgresql.org
Date:
Hello

As per Db-engines.com, the PostgreSQL is the fourth popular database of
the world. I have compiled a comparison of of PostgreSQL with other 3
top DBMSs from Wikipedia and I am proud to say, our PostgreSQL is full
featured and competitive with all of them and the fourth position of
PostgreSQL is just due to its less use, which is obviously due to
learning curve and other supportive software and services.

Please see the comparison and suggest how can we increase its use.

Truy
Malik M. Hashim
Rehmansoft.com
+92-300-3754107

Attachment

Re: Comparison of PostgreSQL with other top 3 DBMS

From
Darren Duncan
Date:
Looking at this made me realize that apparently transactional DDL was more
widely supported than I had thought.

That is, SQL Server also supports it.  Before I had the impression almost no one
supported it, with PostgreSQL and SQLite being exceptions, and the latter
because it was trivially easy due to being a one-writing-user-at-once system.

Looking at
https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Transactional_DDL_in_PostgreSQL:_A_Competitive_Analysis
shows even more widespread support yet.

This being said, I understand that PostgreSQL still has a single notable
exception to its transactional DDL support.  You can't modify an ENUM type
within a transaction, which has been the case since ENUM modify was added in 9.1.

Per http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.4/static/sql-altertype.html :

"ALTER TYPE ... ADD VALUE (the form that adds a new value to an enum type)
cannot be executed inside a transaction block."

This struck me as a rather glaring and odd exception, and I hope it will be
fixed soon.

There's also the thing about not being able to change tablespaces in a
transaction, but that conceptually is easier to understand than the ENUM thing.

-- Darren Duncan