Re: Comparison of PostgreSQL with other top 3 DBMS - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Darren Duncan
Subject Re: Comparison of PostgreSQL with other top 3 DBMS
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Looking at this made me realize that apparently transactional DDL was more
widely supported than I had thought.

That is, SQL Server also supports it.  Before I had the impression almost no one
supported it, with PostgreSQL and SQLite being exceptions, and the latter
because it was trivially easy due to being a one-writing-user-at-once system.

Looking at
https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Transactional_DDL_in_PostgreSQL:_A_Competitive_Analysis
shows even more widespread support yet.

This being said, I understand that PostgreSQL still has a single notable
exception to its transactional DDL support.  You can't modify an ENUM type
within a transaction, which has been the case since ENUM modify was added in 9.1.

Per http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.4/static/sql-altertype.html :

"ALTER TYPE ... ADD VALUE (the form that adds a new value to an enum type)
cannot be executed inside a transaction block."

This struck me as a rather glaring and odd exception, and I hope it will be
fixed soon.

There's also the thing about not being able to change tablespaces in a
transaction, but that conceptually is easier to understand than the ENUM thing.

-- Darren Duncan