PostgreSQL Hangout

From
Sameer Kumar
Date:
Hi All,

We are organizing a Hangout session for PostgreSQL.

Postgres Performance Diagnostics: Busting that slow running SQL

Idea is people will be able to watch this live on Youtube while we discuss on "Getting to a Slow Running Query". The time is 4:00 PM SGT / 1:30 PM IST / 8:00 AM GMT on Thursday 17th April 2014 [a day before Easter].

You can rsvp here on Google Plus page:

Or add this event to your google calendar:

Or download the ics file to add to ical or Outlook:

You can stream the video live over here:

I will be adding this to the events page as well.

Best Regards,

Sameer Kumar | Database Consultant

ASHNIK PTE. LTD.

101 Cecil Street, #11-11 Tong Eng Building, Singapore 069533

M: +65 8110 0350  T: +65 6438 3504 | www.ashnik.com

icons

Email patch

This email may contain confidential, privileged or copyright material and is solely for the use of the intended recipient(s).

Attachment

Re: PostgreSQL Hangout

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
On 04/08/2014 02:12 AM, Sameer Kumar wrote:
> Idea is people will be able to watch this live on Youtube while we discuss
> on "Getting to a Slow Running Query". The time is 4:00 PM SGT / 1:30 PM IST
> / 8:00 AM GMT on Thursday 17th April 2014 [a day before Easter].

Sounds cool!  Too bad I won't be able to make it (1am at home).

Word of warning: if you stop/pause a Hangout, you can't restart it; you
have to create a new one with a new URL.  This is the crippling bug with
Hangout ...

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: PostgreSQL Hangout

From
Sameer Kumar

On 8 Apr 2014 22:32, "Josh Berkus" <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:

> On 04/08/2014 02:12 AM, Sameer Kumar wrote:
> > Idea is people will be able to watch this live on Youtube while we discuss
> > on "Getting to a Slow Running Query". The time is 4:00 PM SGT / 1:30 PM IST
> > / 8:00 AM GMT on Thursday 17th April 2014 [a day before Easter].

I missed to consider Daylight Savings. It is at 9AM GMT.

> Sounds cool!  Too bad I won't be able to make it (1am at home).

We knew we will miss some or the other region :-(

But we are planning to do another one which could suit Americas and Western Europe. We can host it but it will be great if someone else from community will join us as a speaker.

> Word of warning: if you stop/pause a Hangout, you can't restart it; you
> have to create a new one with a new URL.  This is the crippling bug with
> Hangout ...

Oh! Thanks for your word of caution.

Regards
Sameer

Re: PostgreSQL Hangout

From
Jason Petersen
Date:
If you create a Google calendar event with the video chat option enabled, I believe it creates a persistent URL that you can click to join the in-progress hangout, or start it if no one’s currently on.

—Jason

On Wed, Apr 9, 2014 at 12:35 AM, Jason Petersen <jason@citusdata.com> wrote:
If you create a Google calendar event with the video chat option enabled, I believe it creates a persistent URL that you can click to join the in-progress hangout, or start it if no one’s currently on.

Yup, that is exactly what we have done! But hangout has a restriction of max 10users (or 15 for premium account). We have setup live hangout which one can watch on youtube.

In fact one can watch the live discussion on youtube or can watch the video of whole discussion latter.

Date:
On 04/08/2014 12:35 PM, Jason Petersen wrote:
> If you create a Google calendar event with the video chat option enabled, I believe it creates a persistent URL that
youcan click to join the in-progress hangout, or start it if no one’s currently on.

AFAIK there's no way to do that with "public" hangouts ("Hangouts On
Air").  The gcal ones are private hangouts only.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: PostgreSQL Hangout

From
Sameer Kumar

On 9 Apr 2014 05:56, "Josh Berkus" <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:

> On 04/08/2014 12:35 PM, Jason Petersen wrote:
> > If you create a Google calendar event with the video chat option enabled, I believe it creates a persistent URL that you can click to join the in-progress hangout, or start it if no one’s currently on.
>
> AFAIK there's no way to do that with "public" hangouts ("Hangouts On
> Air").  The gcal ones are private hangouts only.

I think though you can not create one from gcal (by checking the video call feature in a gcal appointment) but you can just create an event from google+ page and it will send invite all specifically specified participants. You will add "Public" and any specific participants by name or circle. That is how we did it and we have got it in our calendars.

Regards
Sameer

Re: PostgreSQL Hangout

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
On 04/08/2014 10:31 AM, Sameer Kumar wrote:
>> Yup, that is exactly what we have done! But hangout has a restriction of
> max 10users (or 15 for premium account). We have setup live hangout which
> one can watch on youtube.
>
> In fact one can watch the live discussion on youtube or can watch the video
> of whole discussion latter.

Right, and my issue was when I tried to set up a Hangout from a calendar
item, I couldn't set up a Hangout Live so it could be public.  That
could be done only from the Hangout Live page, which does NOT offer
persistent URLs.

I'd like to find a way around this so that we can use it for PUGs.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: PostgreSQL Hangout

From
Sameer Kumar

On Sat, Apr 19, 2014 at 4:01 AM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
Right, and my issue was when I tried to set up a Hangout from a calendar
item, I couldn't set up a Hangout Live so it could be public.  That
could be done only from the Hangout Live page, which does NOT offer
persistent URLs.

I think the URL we got is persistent. I mean the live youtube feed was available while I was talking and then the same youtube URL is available as recorded video...

I think it will be a great idea to do it for PUGs.

On Sat, Apr 19, 2014 at 3:19 PM, Sameer Kumar <sameer.kumar@ashnik.com> wrote:
That
could be done only from the Hangout Live page, which does NOT offer
persistent URLs.

Or are you referring to Calendar URL?