Thread: Fundraising at SCALE report

From:
Josh Berkus
Date:

Joe, all,

At SCALE we solicited donations of $5 for tshirts, $1 for pins and $10
for posters (and $20 for all 3 in a PG tote bag).  This was surprisingly
successful, bringing in $241.

I think that asking $5 for shirts in the future is better than asking
$15; people were happy to give us $5.  While $5 is below our cost, I
think it's also better than giving the shirts away for free -- when we
do that, many of them end up at Goodwill or in the dumpster.

Since the shirts and posters were paid out of SPI funds, rather than
pg.US, I think it makes sense to donate that money to pg.US.  I'm
combining it with an earlier $70 raised at an SFPUG meeting using the
posters.

--Josh Berkus

From:
Josh Berkus
Date:

On 1/30/12 7:21 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Since the shirts and posters were paid out of SPI funds, rather than
> pg.US, I think it makes sense to donate that money to pg.US.  I'm

Feh, I meant to say, it makes sense to donate that money to *SPI*.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.
http://pgexperts.com

From:
Alvaro Herrera
Date:

Excerpts from Josh Berkus's message of mar ene 31 00:21:59 -0300 2012:

> Since the shirts and posters were paid out of SPI funds, rather than
> pg.US, I think it makes sense to donate that money to pg.US.  I'm
> combining it with an earlier $70 raised at an SFPUG meeting using the
> posters.

It seems a bit funny that funds for US activities come from SPI.  Isn't
pg.us the one that receives most donations from American people
nowadays?

I'm troubled because while I can probably ask for funding from SPI for,
say, PGCon travel reimbursement, it's unlikely that I will be able to
request anything from pg.us.

--
Álvaro Herrera <>
The PostgreSQL Company - Command Prompt, Inc.
PostgreSQL Replication, Consulting, Custom Development, 24x7 support

From:
Josh Berkus
Date:

On 1/31/12 11:23 AM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>
> Excerpts from Josh Berkus's message of mar ene 31 00:21:59 -0300 2012:
>
>> Since the shirts and posters were paid out of SPI funds, rather than
>> pg.US, I think it makes sense to donate that money to pg.US.  I'm
>> combining it with an earlier $70 raised at an SFPUG meeting using the
>> posters.
>
> It seems a bit funny that funds for US activities come from SPI.  Isn't
> pg.us the one that receives most donations from American people
> nowadays?

See succeding post.  You're lagged.


--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.
http://pgexperts.com

From:
Alvaro Herrera
Date:

Excerpts from Josh Berkus's message of mar ene 31 16:25:41 -0300 2012:
> On 1/31/12 11:23 AM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> >
> > Excerpts from Josh Berkus's message of mar ene 31 00:21:59 -0300 2012:
> >
> >> Since the shirts and posters were paid out of SPI funds, rather than
> >> pg.US, I think it makes sense to donate that money to pg.US.  I'm
> >> combining it with an earlier $70 raised at an SFPUG meeting using the
> >> posters.
> >
> > It seems a bit funny that funds for US activities come from SPI.  Isn't
> > pg.us the one that receives most donations from American people
> > nowadays?
>
> See succeding post.  You're lagged.

I'm not.  My point is not where the money from the fundraising *goes to*;
my point is *whence* the money for the shirts *comes*.

(I hope the grammar above is okay.  I have my doubts.)

--
Álvaro Herrera <>
The PostgreSQL Company - Command Prompt, Inc.
PostgreSQL Replication, Consulting, Custom Development, 24x7 support

From:
Josh Berkus
Date:

> I'm not.  My point is not where the money from the fundraising *goes to*;
> my point is *whence* the money for the shirts *comes*.

Ah, ok.

Well, the shirts were actually purchased a couple of years ago, before
pg.US had any funds ... these are the generic blue "PostgreSQL" shirts.

The posters were originally purchased for pgCon, an international
conference; due to a snafu with shipping, they didn't arrive there.  In
theory, they could have been used for other international conferences,
but in practice the cost of printing them elsewhere is overshadowed by
the cost of shipping them (we estimated this for pg.EU).  They *were*
used at OSCON, an international conference.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.
http://pgexperts.com

From:
Alvaro Herrera
Date:

Excerpts from Josh Berkus's message of mar ene 31 17:19:00 -0300 2012:
>
> > I'm not.  My point is not where the money from the fundraising *goes to*;
> > my point is *whence* the money for the shirts *comes*.
>
> Ah, ok.
>
> Well, the shirts were actually purchased a couple of years ago, before
> pg.US had any funds ... these are the generic blue "PostgreSQL" shirts.

Oh, I understand.  I withdraw my complaint then.

--
Álvaro Herrera <>
The PostgreSQL Company - Command Prompt, Inc.
PostgreSQL Replication, Consulting, Custom Development, 24x7 support

From:
Joe Conway
Date:

On 01/31/2012 11:23 AM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>
> Excerpts from Josh Berkus's message of mar ene 31 00:21:59 -0300 2012:
>
>> Since the shirts and posters were paid out of SPI funds, rather than
>> pg.US, I think it makes sense to donate that money to pg.US.  I'm
>> combining it with an earlier $70 raised at an SFPUG meeting using the
>> posters.
>
> It seems a bit funny that funds for US activities come from SPI.  Isn't
> pg.us the one that receives most donations from American people
> nowadays?

I'm pretty sure Josh meant to say "...out of SPI funds, rather than
pg.US, I think it makes sense to donate that money to SPI."

That's what he told me he planned to do as we packed up the booth.

Joe


--
Joe Conway
credativ LLC: http://www.credativ.us
Linux, PostgreSQL, and general Open Source
Training, Service, Consulting, & 24x7 Support