Need someone to design and "about 9.0" flyer

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
All,

We really need an "about 9.0" two-sided color flyer design.  Note that
this does not need to be fact-heavy; last year's 8.4 design was mostly
pictures and a little bit of text.

We can do a professional illustrator or photographs if required; please
sketch these in your design and we can fill them in.

It would be strongly preferred if you could use open source tools
(Inkscape, Scribus, etc.) if possible, as it would make the flyer more
accessible to translators.  But don't make doing so a gating factor.

And we could use it soon!

--
                                  -- Josh Berkus
                                     PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: Need someone to design and "about 9.0" flyer

From
Selena Deckelmann
Date:
On Sun, Aug 8, 2010 at 12:34 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> All,
>
> We really need an "about 9.0" two-sided color flyer design.  Note that
> this does not need to be fact-heavy; last year's 8.4 design was mostly
> pictures and a little bit of text.

BTW - Gabrielle worked on some features fliers. I think she uploaded
them to the wiki. That could be a starting point for something.

-selena

--
http://chesnok.com/daily - me

Re: Need someone to design and "about 9.0" flyer

From
Rob Napier
Date:
Let me know if you'd like me to do it. I'd be using InDesign but would be happy to set up multiple language versions if
youcan supply the translations.

Getting the translations done is more problematic than doing the layout.

To make changes later, any pdf editor would do the job.

Whoever does it, I suggest that the direction I took with the intro to the features list on the wiki be adopted for the
brochure:professional but able to be understood by people who don't have in-depth knowledge of PostgreSQL.

Rob Napier

www.oncetechnologies.com

Date:
On 8/8/10 1:30 PM, Rob Napier wrote:
> Let me know if you'd like me to do it. I'd be using InDesign but would be happy to set up multiple language versions
ifyou can supply the translations.

Sure.  Please start by sketching an idea rather than spending a lot of
time in indesign.  We'll want to discuss ideas a bunch.

Ideally, I'd like to have ideas from several people.

--
                                  -- Josh Berkus
                                     PostgreSQL Experts Inc.
                                     http://www.pgexperts.com

Re: Need someone to design and "about 9.0" flyer

From
Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
Date:
Hi,

On Mon, 9 Aug 2010 06:30:12 +1000 Rob Napier wrote:

> Getting the translations done is more problematic than doing the
> layout.

I can help with the german translation. This should also cover austria
and parts of switzerland.

Bye

--
                Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
German PostgreSQL User Group

Re: Need someone to design and "about 9.0" flyer

From
Rob Napier
Date:
Marketing 101

What is the Unique Selling Proposition that PostgreSQL 9.0 makes?

As a potential user What's in it for me?

What are the key Features and their associated Advantages and Benefits?

Who is the target market?

Do we focus on true believers or do we target non-believers?

What is the competitive position?

Rob Napier
Managing Director
once:technologies

www.oncetechnologies.com

On 09/08/2010, at 7:07 AM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:

> On 8/8/10 1:30 PM, Rob Napier wrote:
>> Let me know if you'd like me to do it. I'd be using InDesign but would be happy to set up multiple language versions
ifyou can supply the translations.

> Sure.  Please start by sketching an idea rather than spending a lot of
> time in indesign.  We'll want to discuss ideas a bunch.
>
> Ideally, I'd like to have ideas from several people.
>
> --
>                                  -- Josh Berkus
>                                     PostgreSQL Experts Inc.
>                                     http://www.pgexperts.com

Re: Need someone to design and "about 9.0" flyer

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Rob,

> What is the Unique Selling Proposition that PostgreSQL 9.0 makes?

Binary Replication plus more features than any other OSDB.

> As a potential user What's in it for me?

Features for your specific use case, whatever it is.

> What are the key Features and their associated Advantages and Benefits?

Discussed on this list ad nauseum.  I think we were going with "Binary
replication + too many to list".  Or we could go with the features we
have quotes around.

> Who is the target market?
>
> Do we focus on true believers or do we target non-believers?

Non-believers, but people who are looking at their database options.
"If you tried PostgreSQL before, maybe it's time to try it again."

> What is the competitive position?

Better than any other OSDB.  Neck-and-neck with the top proprietary DBs.

--
                                  -- Josh Berkus
                                     PostgreSQL Experts Inc.
                                     http://www.pgexperts.com

Re: Need someone to design and "about 9.0" flyer

From
gabrielle
Date:
On Sun, Aug 8, 2010 at 12:40 PM, Selena Deckelmann
<selenamarie@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 8, 2010 at 12:34 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
>> All,
>>
>> We really need an "about 9.0" two-sided color flyer design.  Note that
>> this does not need to be fact-heavy; last year's 8.4 design was mostly
>> pictures and a little bit of text.
>
> BTW - Gabrielle worked on some features fliers. I think she uploaded
> them to the wiki. That could be a starting point for something.

Yep - quick & dirty lists for OSCON.  They are in the "Flyers"
section: http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Flyers

Can I request that the final product of this goes on the wiki as well,
so we can print them out if we need them locally?

Thanks!

gabrielle

Re: Need someone to design and "about 9.0" flyer

From
Rob Napier
Date:
I can make time to work on this over the weekend. Who else wants to be involved? For me to do it, I would have to get
itdone and signed off on the weekend as I have a full dance card next week.

If there is someone else who wants to do it, that's fine with me.

Rob Napier
Managing Director
once:technologies

www.oncetechnologies.com

Date:
On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 3:13 PM, Rob Napier <rob@doitonce.net.au> wrote:
> I can make time to work on this over the weekend. Who else wants to be involved? For me to do it, I would have to get
itdone and signed off on the weekend as I have a full dance card next week.

Would be great if you could put something out there in Illustrator (or
whatever) and publish the source files so that others could build on
it.

Personally, I don't have free time this weekend to participate, but
could put in some hours next week if I had something to build on.

-selena

--
http://chesnok.com/daily - me

Re: Need someone to design and "about 9.0" flyer

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
On Thu, 2010-08-12 at 15:15 -0700, Selena Deckelmann wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 3:13 PM, Rob Napier <rob@doitonce.net.au> wrote:
> > I can make time to work on this over the weekend. Who else wants to be involved? For me to do it, I would have to
getit done and signed off on the weekend as I have a full dance card next week.

> Would be great if you could put something out there in Illustrator (or
> whatever) and publish the source files so that others could build on
> it.

We have illustrator files to the old one we used to use.... 4-5 pager?

--
PostgreSQL.org Major Contributor

Date:
> We have illustrator files to the old one we used to use.... 4-5 pager?

You're thinking of something completely different.  This is a PostgreSQL
9.0 Flyer, not a "PostgreSQL Business Case" brochure.

--

Date:

--
PostgreSQL.org Major Contributor

Re: Need someone to design and "about 9.0" flyer

From
"Stéphane A. Schildknecht"
Date:

Re: Need someone to design and "about 9.0" flyer

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
So?   Anyone have any ideas, rough drafts, etc?

--
                                  -- Josh Berkus
                                     PostgreSQL Experts Inc.
                                     http://www.pgexperts.com

Re: Need someone to design and "about 9.0" flyer

From
damien clochard
Date:
Le 28/08/2010 22:33, Josh Berkus a écrit :
> So?   Anyone have any ideas, rough drafts, etc?

Here's my modest crontibution :

http://nawak.taadeem.net/flyer_pg90.azur.draft1.pdf

it's a A6 Format and two colors only. so that it will pretty easy and
cheap to print it massively :)

There's still lots of work to but the big ideas are here :

  * a funny picture on the Front which draws attention to main
information (i.e "PG 9.0 is out")
  * 5 key features on the Back with twitter-like descriptions (200
characters max. ).
  * a little bit of teasing in the 6th item ;-)
  * and finally the focus on the url where we want people to go

Quickly i've chosen the 5 following items : HS, SR, 64bit win,  inplace
upgrade and grant/revoke on schema . Of course that can be discussed,
i'm just the designer here.

If you like this design, please give me :

  - the 5 key features we want to advertize
  - a char(200) description for each item
  - the url where we want people to go

and of course, any comment on the design, colours, layout is more than
welcome :)

And i'll try to provide a final version before monday. I'm working with
scribus 1.3.5 and i'll put the source files on wiki.postgresql.org under
CC-BY-NC-SA licence

damien

Re: Need someone to design and "about 9.0" flyer

From
Markus Wanner
Date:
Salut Damien,

On 09/13/2010 05:05 PM, damien clochard wrote:
> http://nawak.taadeem.net/flyer_pg90.azur.draft1.pdf

Very nice, thanks for sharing this.

>    * a funny picture on the Front which draws attention to main
> information (i.e "PG 9.0 is out")

I like the general idea, it certainly draws attention. But what's
sticking out of the elephant shadow's proboscis at the very left?

Otherwise, I like the simplicity of the flyer. I'd even vote for less
words and more space at the borders of the second page.

The font may not quite fulfill the "simplicity" idea. At least I find it
somewhat hard to read.

Regards

Markus

Date:
On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 5:30 AM, Markus Wanner <markus@bluegap.ch> wrote:
> I like the general idea, it certainly draws attention. But what's sticking
> out of the elephant shadow's proboscis at the very left?

Tusks, I bet.

> The font may not quite fulfill the "simplicity" idea. At least I find it
> somewhat hard to read.

Agreed.

Good stuff, Damien!

gabrielle

Date:
Le 13/09/2010 17:05, damien clochard a écrit :
> Le 28/08/2010 22:33, Josh Berkus a écrit :
>> So?   Anyone have any ideas, rough drafts, etc?

Here's a new version :

http://nawak.taadeem.net/flyer_pg90.azur.draft2.pdf

I added content from the "what's new" wiki page. Proofreading is more
than welcome !

I changed the font to Trebuchet which is more classic...

Source files and scribus version are on the pg.fr git repo :

http://github.com/postgresqlfr/pgfr_materials/tree/master/advocacy/flyers/9.0/en/

Date:
> Here's a new version :
>
> http://nawak.taadeem.net/flyer_pg90.azur.draft2.pdf

This is looking pretty darned good.  I'd like to improve some of the
text formatting, though.

Also, what do people think of the slogan "PostgreSQL's Great Leap
Forwards"?  It's been used a couple of times, but I'm concerned about
offending Chinese and Chinese-American members of our community.  How
about, instead:

PostgreSQL 9: Replication Made Easy (from the t-shirt)

PostgreSQL Reloaded

On Cloud 9 With PostgreSQL 9

PostgreSQL Formula No. 9

--

Date:
On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 5:07 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:

> PostgreSQL 9: Replication Made Easy (from the t-shirt)

Of those suggested, I like this one, especially paired with the shirt logo.

-selena

--
http://chesnok.com/daily - me

Re: Need someone to design and "about 9.0" flyer

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 02:07, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:

>> Here's a new version :
>>
>> http://nawak.taadeem.net/flyer_pg90.azur.draft2.pdf
>
> This is looking pretty darned good.  I'd like to improve some of the
> text formatting, though.

Agreed.

Once notice though - flyers generated like that can't be used
commercially in any way (NC on the CC license). Does that mean they
can't be handed out at a commercial conference? By vendors? To
commercial customers?

> Also, what do people think of the slogan "PostgreSQL's Great Leap
> Forwards"?  It's been used a couple of times, but I'm concerned about
> offending Chinese and Chinese-American members of our community.  How

Wow, I don't even understand why it would be offensive. But I don't
doubt you when you say so. (feel free to explain off-list, but it's
very much off-topic on list, I think)

> about, instead:
>
> PostgreSQL 9: Replication Made Easy (from the t-shirt)
>
> PostgreSQL Reloaded
>
> On Cloud 9 With PostgreSQL 9
>
> PostgreSQL Formula No. 9

FWIW, I don't like any of those :(

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/

Re: Need someone to design and "about 9.0" flyer

From
Greg Smith
Date:
Magnus Hagander wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 02:07, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
>
>> Also, what do people think of the slogan "PostgreSQL's Great Leap
>> Forwards"?  It's been used a couple of times, but I'm concerned about
>> offending Chinese and Chinese-American members of our community.  How
>>

> Wow, I don't even understand why it would be offensive. But I don't
> doubt you when you say so. (feel free to explain off-list, but it's
> very much off-topic on list, I think)

The explanation is pretty quick:  the first paragraph of
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Leap_Forward tells why it's really
not a good slogan to use.  Lots of bad sentiment attached to that
particular phrase.  I like "Replication Made Easy" too.

--
Greg Smith, 2ndQuadrant US greg@2ndQuadrant.com Baltimore, MD
PostgreSQL Training, Services and Support  www.2ndQuadrant.us

Re: Need someone to design and "about 9.0" flyer

From
Raymond O'Donnell
Date:
On 05/10/2010 11:22, Greg Smith wrote:
> Magnus Hagander wrote:
>> On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 02:07, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
>>> Also, what do people think of the slogan "PostgreSQL's Great Leap
>>> Forwards"? It's been used a couple of times, but I'm concerned about
>>> offending Chinese and Chinese-American members of our community. How
>>
>> Wow, I don't even understand why it would be offensive. But I don't
>> doubt you when you say so. (feel free to explain off-list, but it's
>> very much off-topic on list, I think)
>
> The explanation is pretty quick: the first paragraph of
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Leap_Forward tells why it's really
> not a good slogan to use. Lots of bad sentiment attached to that
> particular phrase. I like "Replication Made Easy" too.

+1 on not using "Great Leap Forward".

I like "PostgreSQL Reloaded" - but I'm a Matrix fan. :-)

Ray.

--
Raymond O'Donnell :: Galway :: Ireland
rod@iol.ie

Re: Need someone to design and "about 9.0" flyer

From
Thom Brown
Date:
On 5 October 2010 11:29, Raymond O'Donnell <rod@iol.ie> wrote:
> On 05/10/2010 11:22, Greg Smith wrote:
>>
>> Magnus Hagander wrote:

>>> Wow, I don't even understand why it would be offensive. But I don't
>>> doubt you when you say so. (feel free to explain off-list, but it's
>>> very much off-topic on list, I think)
>>
>> The explanation is pretty quick: the first paragraph of
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Leap_Forward tells why it's really
>> not a good slogan to use. Lots of bad sentiment attached to that
>> particular phrase. I like "Replication Made Easy" too.
>
> +1 on not using "Great Leap Forward".
>
> I like "PostgreSQL Reloaded" - but I'm a Matrix fan. :-)

And it's a prelude to a PostgreSQL Revolution ;)

--
Thom Brown
Twitter: @darkixion

Re: Need someone to design and "about 9.0" flyer

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
On tis, 2010-10-05 at 06:22 -0400, Greg Smith wrote:
> I like "Replication Made Easy" too.

How about "Replication Made Possible" instead?  Save "Easy" for version
9.2.

Date:
On 5 October 2010 12:29, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> wrote:
> On tis, 2010-10-05 at 06:22 -0400, Greg Smith wrote:
>> I like "Replication Made Easy" too.
>
> How about "Replication Made Possible" instead?  Save "Easy" for version
> 9.2.

Replication was possible before though.  Saying it's "possible"
suggests it's not necessarily straightforward to set up."

--

Date:
On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 13:33, Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> wrote:
> On 5 October 2010 12:29, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> wrote:
>> On tis, 2010-10-05 at 06:22 -0400, Greg Smith wrote:
>>> I like "Replication Made Easy" too.
>>
>> How about "Replication Made Possible" instead?  Save "Easy" for version
>> 9.2.
>
> Replication was possible before though.  Saying it's "possible"
> suggests it's not necessarily straightforward to set up."

It's not necessarily easy now, and it was not necessarily non-easy
before. It depends very much on the situation...

--

Date:
On tis, 2010-10-05 at 11:30 +0100, Thom Brown wrote:
> > +1 on not using "Great Leap Forward".
> >
> > I like "PostgreSQL Reloaded" - but I'm a Matrix fan. :-)
>
> And it's a prelude to a PostgreSQL Revolution ;)

The revolution was before the Great Leap Forward.  The next steps would
be the Cultural Revolution and One Project, Two Systems.

Re: Need someone to design and "about 9.0" flyer

From
"Greg Sabino Mullane"
Date:

Date:
On 5 October 2010 14:42, Greg Sabino Mullane <greg@turnstep.com> wrote:

>>> I like "PostgreSQL Reloaded" - but I'm a Matrix fan. :-)
>>
>> And it's a prelude to a PostgreSQL Revolution ;)
>
> - -1 to both. Why would we want people to think our product got
> more confusing, inconsistent, and poorly written with each
> release? :)
>
> Replication Made Easy is the best of the bunch, although I think
> we could do better than that.

Replication Out Of The Box?

--
Thom Brown
Twitter: @darkixion
IRC (freenode): dark_ixion
Registered Linux user: #516935

Re: Need someone to design and "about 9.0" flyer

From
"Kevin Grittner"
Date:
"Greg Sabino Mullane" <greg@turnstep.com> wrote:

> Replication Made Easy is the best of the bunch, although I think
> we could do better than that.

How about?:

PostgreSQL -> Wired

PostgreSQL -- Stand by, It's Hot!

Streaming to What's Hot!

-Kevin

Date:
On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 15:44, damien@dalibo.info <damien@dalibo.info> wrote:
> Magnus Hagander a écrit :

>>> This is looking pretty darned good.  I'd like to improve some of the
>>> text formatting, though.
>>
>> Agreed.
>>
>> Once notice though - flyers generated like that can't be used
>> commercially in any way (NC on the CC license). Does that mean they
>> can't be handed out at a commercial conference? By vendors? To
>> commercial customers?
>>

> BY-NC-SA is needed because the image itself is BY-NC-SA. If i had the
> choice i would have put it under BY-SA. I'm open to any other CC
> licensed media that could replace the current pictures.

Yes, I know - I'm just wondering if that's going to give us trouble.

> Anyway my understanding is that the purpose of this flyer is already
> "non commercial" because it advertise a new version a free software
> build by a community that doesn't have any commercial activities.
>
> So as a company you can distribute this document to your customers, the
> purpose of the flyer remains "non commercial"....
>
> What you can't do is modify the document to add your company logo or
> describe your company services inside the flyer. I'm not sur this is a
> problem, if it is i can release a BY-SA version of the flyer without the
> front image.

I don't think that's a problem, actually, but we need to be very clear about it.

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/
 Work: http://www.redpill-linpro.com/

Re: Need someone to design and "about 9.0" flyer

From
Guillaume Lelarge
Date:
Le 05/10/2010 15:48, Kevin Grittner a écrit :
> "Greg Sabino Mullane" <greg@turnstep.com> wrote:
>
>> Replication Made Easy is the best of the bunch, although I think
>> we could do better than that.
>
> How about?:
>
> PostgreSQL -> Wired

-1

> PostgreSQL -- Stand by, It's Hot!

Love this one.

> Streaming to What's Hot!

Interesting, but less cooler than the previous one.

--
Guillaume
 http://www.postgresql.fr

"damien@dalibo.info"
Date:
Magnus Hagander a écrit :
> On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 02:07, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
>>> Here's a new version :
>>>
>>> http://nawak.taadeem.net/flyer_pg90.azur.draft2.pdf
>> This is looking pretty darned good.  I'd like to improve some of the
>> text formatting, though.
>
> Agreed.
>
> Once notice though - flyers generated like that can't be used
> commercially in any way (NC on the CC license). Does that mean they
> can't be handed out at a commercial conference? By vendors? To
> commercial customers?

BY-NC-SA is needed because the image itself is BY-NC-SA. If i had the
choice i would have put it under BY-SA. I'm open to any other CC
licensed media that could replace the current pictures.

Anyway my understanding is that the purpose of this flyer is already
"non commercial" because it advertise a new version a free software
build by a community that doesn't have any commercial activities.

So as a company you can distribute this document to your customers, the
purpose of the flyer remains "non commercial"....

What you can't do is modify the document to add your company logo or
describe your company services inside the flyer. I'm not sur this is a
problem, if it is i can release a BY-SA version of the flyer without the
front image.

>> Also, what do people think of the slogan "PostgreSQL's Great Leap
>> Forwards"?  It's been used a couple of times, but I'm concerned about
>> offending Chinese and Chinese-American members of our community.  How

FTR, i found the expression "Great Leap Forward" in the "what's new"
page on the wiki :

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/What%27s_new_in_PostgreSQL_9.0#Streaming_Replication

I was also incomfortable with this expression so i removed the "Forward"
in the flyer. I was thinking that it would then be closer the Neil's
Armstrong "Great Leap for Mankind" but obviously it didn't work that way :)

I'm ok to remove completely that expression and replace it by :

"Streaming Replication is the second half of PostgreSQL's new redundancy
system"

Thanks for the comments and feedback !

--
damien clochard
http://dalibo.org | http://dalibo.com

Re: Need someone to design and "about 9.0" flyer

From
Korry Douglas
Date:
>>> Replication Made Easy is the best of the bunch, although I think
>>> we could do better than that.
>>
>> How about?:

PostgreSQL - the best chance at replication that most geeks will ever
get

            -- Korry

Re: Need someone to design and "about 9.0" flyer

From
Selena Deckelmann
Date:
On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 7:07 AM, Korry Douglas
<korry.douglas@enterprisedb.com> wrote:

>>> How about?:
>
> PostgreSQL - the best chance at replication that most geeks will ever get

Har har. But not really true.

Made a wiki page to hold inspiration:

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/AttemptsAtSlogans

I didn't add them all. Feel free to add more!

-selena

--
http://chesnok.com/daily - me

Date:
On Tue, 2010-10-05 at 07:32 -0700, Selena Deckelmann wrote:

> > PostgreSQL - the best chance at replication that most geeks will ever get
>
> Har har. But not really true.

Which is exactly why it is very funny. It is a stereotype we could
exploit.

JD
--
PostgreSQL.org Major Contributor

Re: Need someone to design and "about 9.0" flyer

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
Hello,

For the tag line, we may want to consider something that is *not*
directly about replication. This is not to disparage all the hard work
that has gone into the feature but it is a first release and has some
significant draw backs that make it useful only for a small subset of
workloads.

We don't want to over-hype something just to have it come back at us.

JD
--
PostgreSQL.org Major Contributor

Re: Need someone to design and "about 9.0" flyer

From
Chris Browne
Date:
Kevin.Grittner@wicourts.gov ("Kevin Grittner") writes:
> "Greg Sabino Mullane" <greg@turnstep.com> wrote:
>
>> Replication Made Easy is the best of the bunch, although I think
>> we could do better than that.
>
> How about?:
>
> PostgreSQL -> Wired
>
> PostgreSQL -- Stand by, It's Hot!
>
> Streaming to What's Hot!

I remember a similar discussion not vastly long ago that headed down
into the gutter...

<http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-advocacy/2010-01/msg00177.php>
--
(reverse (concatenate 'string "moc.liamg" "@" "enworbbc"))
http://linuxfinances.info/info/finances.html

Date:
thom@linux.com (Thom Brown) writes:
> On 5 October 2010 11:29, Raymond O'Donnell <rod@iol.ie> wrote:
>> On 05/10/2010 11:22, Greg Smith wrote:
>> I like "PostgreSQL Reloaded" - but I'm a Matrix fan. :-)
>
> And it's a prelude to a PostgreSQL Revolution ;)

"I forgot how good that movie was."

"Too bad they never made any sequels."

"True."

<http://xkcd.com/566/>
--
(format nil "~S@~S" "cbbrowne" "gmail.com")
http://linuxfinances.info/info/slony.html

Date:
On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 8:14 AM, Chris Browne <cbbrowne@acm.org> wrote:

> I remember a similar discussion not vastly long ago that headed down
> into the gutter...

Yeah, let's not go there.

Please add more slogans to the wiki!

Date:
On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 18:07, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> For the tag line, we may want to consider something that is *not*
> directly about replication. This is not to disparage all the hard work
> that has gone into the feature but it is a first release and has some
> significant draw backs that make it useful only for a small subset of
> workloads.
>
> We don't want to over-hype something just to have it come back at us.

+1!

--

Date:
> Yeah, let's not go there.
>
> Please add more slogans to the wiki!
>
> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/AttemptsAtSlogans

Of course, it now occurs to me that none of these slogans match the picture.

Perhaps we should use:

"Why Leading Geeks Rely On PostgreSQL 9"

... or similar.

--

Date:

Date:
Hello,

For the tag line, we may want to consider something that is *not*
directly about replication. This is not to disparage all the hard work
that has gone into the feature but it is a first release and has some
significant draw backs that make it useful only for a small subset of
workloads.

We don't want to over-hype something just to have it come back at us.

JD
--
PostgreSQL.org Major Contributor

Re: Need someone to design and "about 9.0" flyer

From
damien clochard
Date:
Hi guys,

Here's the last revision :

http://nawak.taadeem.net/fly_pg_90.azur.en.draft5.pdf

Quick Changelog :

  * removed any reference to any "Leap" or whatsoever...
  * put "UNIQUE" in capitalized letters
  * added exclusion constraints in the last section
  * used the correct "Oracle Data Guard" name and added ® behind it
  * using small capitals for VACUUM FULL. looks nicer.
  * small fixes in the vertical alignment for the text blocks...

Re: Need someone to design and "about 9.0" flyer

Date:
Kevin Grittner wrote:
> "Greg Sabino Mullane" <greg@turnstep.com> wrote:
>
> > Replication Made Easy is the best of the bunch, although I think
> > we could do better than that.
>
> How about?:

> PostgreSQL -- Stand by, It's Hot!

+1 on creativity for this one, and I can think of some nice images.

Re: Need someone to design and "about 9.0" flyer

From
MattK
Date:
Anything but "On Cloud" - not everything needs to be about "The
Cloud" ;)

Date:
On 10/19/10 9:53 AM, MattK wrote:
> Anything but "On Cloud" - not everything needs to be about "The
> Cloud" ;)

Oh, great idea!

"On Cloud 9 With Postgres 9"

We'd need a new graphic, though ...

--
                                  -- Josh Berkus
                                     PostgreSQL Experts Inc.
                                     http://www.pgexperts.com

Re: Need someone to design and "about 9.0" flyer

From
David Fetter
Date:
On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 03:59:30PM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> On 10/19/10 9:53 AM, MattK wrote:
> > Anything but "On Cloud" - not everything needs to be about "The
> > Cloud" ;)
>
> Oh, great idea!
>
> "On Cloud 9 With Postgres 9"
>
> We'd need a new graphic, though ...

We could even have a little music to go with it.  What could possibly
be appropriate for a database with excellent access control?

What indeed?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pq3YdpB6N9M

Cheers,
David.